Danny’s Decision’s Impact On Current And Future Players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Danny’s Decision’s Impact On Current And Future Players

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Well since we are talking about recruiting any news on whether or not we are going to fill that last scholarship. I thought he said he would consider filling it with a player that was a project.

I think Clingan was labeled a project when he came to UConn. So there is that.

But seriously another defensive minded big, who is raw but measures well and can be coached. Never have too many bigs just in case.

Just wondering if the consensus is that he fills it or it will remain open.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Succession plan is not needed. A terrible idea.

Hurley had to take the trip to LA to get and understand the offer. He would have been foolish to do otherwise. And he turned it down. He says it was a difficult decision and I beleive it. $70 million is a lot of money but there was no guarantee he would have last 6 years.

This has not done any damage to the program. If anything, it has elevated the program. He's come back because he wants that real chance at a three peat. He has a loyalty to the program and his players. Those mean more than money.

Could he recieve another other from an NBA team? Sure. He's that good. The only two teams I think could lure him away are the Knicks and the Celtics. Hurley is an East Coast guy and those are the "storied" programs in he East.

Reaction Score
like @AntG168 has mentioned, a succession plan should be ready. if the staff can at least say that they will be there, I think that would be great. but if Hurley just says he's done with looking at the NBA, that'd be great too!
I dont think he is and he shouldnt be. If thats his dream then he should go when the time is right. Id say at least two more seasons then he should be open to any offer that he feels would be a great situation for him. If he also decides that being a college coach is where he wants to be then hes more than welcome to stay here for as long as he wants.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Agreed. Contingency plan, yes, succession plan no.
Yes. The contingency plan is to win national titles with Hurley running the show until he departs. Then we'll win national titles with his successor.

Reaction Score
Great points made by everyone.

This public courting of Hurley by the Lakers can't hurt our brand (I hate using that term, but it's the most appropriate).

I'm sure when Danny goes to a gym to scout/recruit a player, the aura when he walks in would be palpable.

Reaction Score
Hurleys future is 100% a question that will come up from recruits ready to commit going forward. It'll also be used against us in close recruiting battles. But there's worse problems to have, we could be spiraling right now.
Many believe this whole ordeal as a positive. I agree with what you're saying. I think some recruits and potential returning players will wonder if DH will jump to the NBA after they decide to to play for him.

Now with that said, I hope all the news of how coveted Hurley is, the opportunity to develop their game under Hurley and win will attract very good players who fit the program and culture. As long as Hurley explores future NBA opportunities earlier next time where players can decide to stay or leave and whatever successor has time to replace whoever decides to leave with talented transfers and recruits, our future might continue to shine. Having at least one of the coaches the players trust to continue what Hurley has done and who can help develop their game could help as well, but Hurley might end up taking one or two coaches with him.

I'm not sure what to expect next year and the ones that follow, but am hoping Hurley and staff keep the momentum going. Winning 3 in a row will probably help. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think this makes recruits less concerned he’ll leave. He just turned down Kentucky and the Lakers to stay. Maybe if the Knicks open up, but that doesn’t seem likely soon.

Reaction Score
Succession plans are a terrible idea.
Really? Why is that? A succession plan will remove uncertainty at which time Danny does leave for a northeast NBA job. It helps in continuity of recruiting both transfers and 5* kids to play at a destination school. It lends stability so we all don’t go crazy like the past 5 days. It ensures that Danny has significant input into his replacement and keeps the current staff here. Explain why this is a bad idea.

Reaction Score
Hurleys future is 100% a question that will come up from recruits ready to commit going forward. It'll also be used against us in close recruiting battles. But there's worse problems to have, we could be spiraling right now.
This will also be used for us in recruiting battles, and will win some recruiting battles. “Oh such and such coach said he’d put you into the league? Well LeBron wanted me to coach the LA Lakers. Do you think that makes me a good judge and developer of talent? LeBron wanted me to draft and coach his son.”

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Will other coaches try telling recruits "you don't want to go to UConn, Hurley's leaving for the NBA as soon as the right franchise makes an offer."? Of course they will, negative recruiting has been around for as long as recruiting has been around. This shouldn't have much more impact than any other line coaches have tried over the past couple years.

There are a couple methods to combating this specific topic when other coaches try to use it to influence recruits against us:

1 - The head coach can be honest and straightforward, using a history of integrity to convince the recruit that regardless of what happens he will be upfront with everyone. The way DH has pretty much handled everything so far.

2 - The head coach can take the sleazy, used car salesman approach, telling everyone what he thinks they want to hear, believing that selling BS that you have no real intention of honoring is the way to do things; kind of like Pitino and Calipari.

For either to work, the person employing the methodology has to be able to do so while remaining himself for it to work. Fortunately for the three examples I mentioned each can take the approach I linked then to while remaining themselves.

Reaction Score
Will other coaches try telling recruits "you don't want to go to UConn, Hurley's leaving for the NBA as soon as the right franchise makes an offer."? Of course they will, negative recruiting has been around for as long as recruiting has been around. This shouldn't have much more impact than any other line coaches have tried over the past couple years.

There are a couple methods to combating this specific topic when other coaches try to use it to influence recruits against us:

1 - The head coach can be honest and straightforward, using a history of integrity to convince the recruit that regardless of what happens he will be upfront with everyone. The way DH has pretty much handled everything so far.

2 - The head coach can take the sleazy, used car salesman approach, telling everyone what he thinks they want to hear, believing that selling BS that you have no real intention of honoring is the way to do things; kind of like Pitino and Calipari.

For either to work, the person employing the methodology has to be able to do so while remaining himself for it to work. Fortunately for the three examples I mentioned each can take the approach I linked then to while remaining themselves.
I can’t see a scenario where Kentucky can beat UConn in a head to head recruiting battle as long as Hurley is here. He was Kentucky’s choice, not Pope. And recruits will know that. Kentucky thought Danny was a better choice to lead their program. How do you overcome that?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Succession plans are a terrible idea.
Mike Hopkins and the 5 consecutive titles he’s won at Syracuse in an alternate universe say otherwise.

But really, has one ever actually worked? I mean a pre-announced one.

I'm for the have a plan but no need to tell the world about it. Whether it's officially called a succession plan or if AD DB has a list of known fill-ins should Hurley leave is a distinction without a difference to me.

Reaction Score
I think Clingan was labeled a project when he came to UConn. So there is that.
I think the only people who labeled Clingan a 13th scholarship development type player were a few dolts on the Boneyard. He was rated the consensus #37 recruit in the 2022 class. While he wasn't expected to start over Sanogo, he was certainly expected to contribute his freshman year.

Reaction Score
Haven't read the replies yet but there's a clear succession plan with Luke and/or Kimani you can pitch. And I'm not even sure there's much need to pitch that anyway. He turned down the Lakers and Kentucky this off-season, the list of more desirable jobs is very small

Reaction Score
I think this whole situation can end up being a positive or a negative depending on how each individual recruit ends up viewing it.

Hurley can say to recruits: "Look, I turned down Kentucky and the Lakers to stay here. I turned down two of the most historic teams in basketball to coach UConn, I'm 100% committed to this program."

Opposing coaches will say: "Hurley can leave at any moment as his goal clearly is to coach in the NBA. You don't want to deal with that kind of uncertainty."

Reaction Score
I think Hurley will be around for at least 5 more seasons.
I think Hurley will be around for as long as the Knicks and Celtics jobs are filled. Just being blatantly honest about how I will view things going forward. I think a lot of us here dismissed the NBA talk in the past, but now I would go so far as to say that it's more likely than not DH will leave for an NBA job sooner or later.

Reaction Score
How is a "succession plan" any different than the desperation mode replacement ideas of the last few days?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm for the have a plan but no need to tell the world about it. Whether it's officially called a succession plan or if AD DB has a list of known fill-ins should Hurley leave is a distinction without a difference to me.

Hurley will be tossed at least a couple times this year. Whoever takes over will likely be the heir apparent if a quick internal hire is needed.

Reaction Score
If players want /need money as a first priority there are many schools who can out recruit us UK included. But head to head all things being equal I like our chances ( money first players are not Danny’s thing anyway So there is that as well).

Reaction Score
The current guys will be more motivated if possible and the new recruits and transfer portal guys will be very relieved. Uncertainty resolved.
Future recruits know everybody wants him because he’s so much better than other coaches but I just wonder if they will question it maybe happening again from year to year as other NBA teams try this on.
Some coaches say they are not going anywhere and promise to be there. Of course no one can promise it.
When you have the best college coach in the country, you just need to accept that this will always be a potential issue. Look at it this way, would you rather have a coach no one wants?

Reaction Score
I think it was a stressful few days that ultimately means nothing except maybe improved uconns offer to Hurley. Don’t think it helps or hurts us with recruiting. Don’t think it makes Hurley more or less likely to go to the nba in the future.

Knowing what we know about how Hurley has acted about changing jobs in the past and just his personality, I don’t believe he was ever close to leaving. He was doing media right up until the day the story broke acting all in on the 3 peat. The Billy Joel video. I think he saw a chance to help his negotiating with UConn and figured he’d hear the lakers out. Now if the right job opens up at the right time i could certainly see him leaving but that was true before this saga. There’s also a scenario where the timing is never right. I don’t think he’s an absolute lock for a northeast job as soon as they open up

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom