Danny’s Decision’s Impact On Current And Future Players | The Boneyard

Danny’s Decision’s Impact On Current And Future Players

Reaction Score
The current guys will be more motivated if possible and the new recruits and transfer portal guys will be very relieved. Uncertainty resolved.
Future recruits know everybody wants him because he’s so much better than other coaches but I just wonder if they will question it maybe happening again from year to year as other NBA teams try this on.
Some coaches say they are not going anywhere and promise to be there. Of course no one can promise it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve been thinking about the impact of Dan Hurly’s decision all day, and I have a theory. Hurley is a master motivator and tactician. I think he was inclined to turn down the Lakers offer from the start. He’s not a West Coast guy (think Pat Riley). His father and role model turned down countless college coaching opportunities out of loyalty to St Anthony’s HS. He absolutely feels a loyalty to all the recruits, transfers and returning players who’ve committed to UConn next year, particularly Alex Karaban.

By flirting with the Lakers very publicly, including flying to LA to meet with them, UConn MBB has received enormous attention over the past week or so. Attention like that means money, whether it’s directed at Hurly as an enhancement to his contract, or to his players in terms of NIL money.

His current players are going to run through walls for him. Any big time HS recruit with a desire to play in the NBA, has to think that this guy turned down the Lakers and $70 million. “Maybe, just maybe, I should play for him.”

Whether Hurly planned this all along, or it just happened by virtue of a extremely difficult career decision, he is now sitting on the precipice of a 3rd straight national championship, with the potential to continue to load up his roster with talent for years to come.

Reaction Score
The current guys will be more motivated if possible and the new recruits and transfer portal guys will be very relieved. Uncertainty resolved.
Future recruits know everybody wants him because he’s so much better than other coaches but I just wonder if they will question it maybe happening again from year to year as other NBA teams try this on.
Some coaches say they are not going anywhere and promise to be there. Of course no one can promise it.
With the portal, I don’t see worrying if the coach is going to be there after year one as a realistic consideration. If you can play at UConn you will always have lots of desirable landing spots if you transfer.

Any coach, anywhere is subject to leaving if he gets a better offer.

Reaction Score
With the portal, I don’t see worrying if the coach is going to be there after year one as a realistic consideration. If you can play at UConn you will always have lots of desirable landing spots if you transfer.

Any coach, anywhere is subject to leaving if he gets a better offer.
Exactly. The 5*s were about to pull will be in the nba after a year and if not they can transfer anywhere they want. Either way at least we’ll have a succession plan in place the next time around. Hopefully Luke Murray.

Reaction Score
We're going to be fine recruiting. Especially with 5* and later career transfers.

I am curious to see what the buyout is in the new contract, though. Hopefully it's fairly big for years 1 & 2.

Reaction Score
Before this whole ordeal conluded with a happy ending, I thought that even if Hurley stayed, damage had been done.

I've change my mind. The overwhelming recogniition and praise for Hurley's coaching taklents, and the unbelievable volume of publicity that was focused on UConn, Hurley, and the quest for a threepeat happened at the start of the recruiting season. When few were talking about college basketball, everyone was talking about UConn basketball. This was a Win-Win, and once again it was a sweep for UConn.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
There’s really no need to look for bad news in this. Apart from the agita we all experienced, there isn’t any.

“I turned down $11M from KENTUCKY and the LAKERS because UCONN is the basketball capital of the world — that’s how strongly I feel about this program. Now, do you want to join the best team in the country or not?!?!”

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We're going to be fine recruiting. Especially with 5* and later career transfers.

I am curious to see what the buyout is in the new contract, though. Hopefully it's fairly big for years 1 & 2.

I would not expect much of a change - college buyout will be huge, NBA buyout will not be.

Reaction Score
There’s really no need to look for bad news in this. Apart from the agita we all experienced, there isn’t any.

“I turned down $11M from KENTUCKY and the LAKERS because UCONN is the basketball capital of the world — that’s how strongly I feel about this program. Now, do you want to join the best team in the country or not?!?!”
Never knew how “agita” was spelled, thank you.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This is very good for the UConn brand but other than the promotional benefits (most of which will die soon) this won't do a lot.

Yes, it's a great narrative that arguably the biggest name in college basketball and arguably the biggest name in the NBA each was spurned by the new king of the hill less than two months apart, and yes, anything that generates this much attention and turns out positively can only help, there are limits to how much it helps and what happens in practice and in games (which will not be impacted by any of this) will be where we can measure success or failure.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hurleys future is 100% a question that will come up from recruits ready to commit going forward. It'll also be used against us in close recruiting battles. But there's worse problems to have, we could be spiraling right now.

Reaction Score
I also was concerned about aftershocks within the program. I’m 68. I know little about the whole collegiate athletic experience these kids go through from Jr Hi to HS to AAU, recruitment and matriculation and now payola. I’ve also changed my mind and think kids like Solo and Jaylin and Ahmed are exposed to and conditioned, maybe hardened to the whole process far more than I can imagine. Hence, it probably didn’t bother them or affect them as much as many on the Yard.

Proof will be in the pudding, Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Yes to all the above. Who wouldn’t want to play for this guy. These kids will want to run through a wall for Coach Hurley. The program is at a point where it basically recruits itself with Hurley at the helm. We must protect this man at all costs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom