Dan Hurley to Florida? | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley to Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
  • From ESPN+
  • Tuesday, 6:36 a.m.: The big addition to the cycle in the last few days is Florida, which opened when Mike White departed for conference rival Georgia. White leaving wasn't entirely unexpected, but most industry sources pinpointed Ole Miss as a more likely landing spot. But now that the job is open, where do the Gators look? The first name that started buzzing as soon as the job opened was Dayton's Anthony Grant, a Miami native who spent a decade as an assistant coach at Florida under Billy Donovan. He's done well with the Flyers, even if they were the first team out of this season's NCAA tournament field. Grant also spent six years as a head coach in the SEC with Alabama (2019-15).
    It's still early for favorites to emerge, but a couple of other names that could be involved are UConn's Dan Hurley, Oklahoma State's Mike Boynton, BYU's Mark Pope and Murray State's Matt McMahon. Cleveland State's Dennis Gates seems unlikely due to his time at Florida State, while Ohio State's Chris Holtmann is unlikely to want to move to another football-first school.

Reaction Score
SEC is a beast of a conference. If they throw SEC $ at him maybe he looks past his Northeast comfort

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Well, Florida can almost certainly pay more, and it's pretty easy to recruit Florida athletes when a) you have a track record and b) you're the "University of" said state. That said, pretty sure he has unfinished business here, and he's a NJ-Northeast kind of guy.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley is a Big East guy through and through, although the gators play all their home games in their home o'dome.

1647376102761.png

Reaction Score
No. Not a chance that happens.

And to add to that, he has goals that he has for himself and his UConn program that he hasn’t come close to meeting yet. So, zero chance. As for leverage in contract negotiations, his first ask will always be for program enhancements (like an increased salary pool for assistants) when it comes time for things like that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m usually one of the people who rolls their eyes at the ESPN hates us narrative. But it’s actually disgusting they put Dan on that list with mid major coaches who’d be looking to step up. UConn isn’t Duke or Kentucky, but we aren’t Murray St holy.

Reaction Score
Well, Florida can almost certainly pay more, and it's pretty easy to recruit Florida athletes when a) you have a track record and b) you're the "University of" said state. That said, pretty sure he has unfinished business here, and he's a NJ-Northeast kind of guy.
You’re right. UConn has absolutely no track record and is not the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I won't get worked up over total speculation. No doubt he'll leverage some of this into a better contract extension, but Hurley and White were being paid roughly $3M annually each (Hurley a bit less and White a bit more), so I doubt Florida would be in a situation to offer Hurley money he can't refuse. Would also just be an odd fit. No southeast connections, feels like a very odd cultural fit at the school, and he goes from being head of a school where basketball is clearly top dog to one where basketball is a distant afterthought.

I'm not saying big jobs won't come sniffing around if he keeps having success, but I'd be surprised if this was the one.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I have a hard time seeing Hurley leaving except for Rutgers (NJ), Seton Hall (alma mater; NJ). Just strikes me as a guy who is all about the northeast and his home turf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom