Dan Hurley to Florida? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley to Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have as a matter of fact.. Any other coaches who have gone through there before or since?
IMG_0748.gif

Reaction Score
Not ok to say I know of Billy? I do not consider Florida an elite program in 2022. I do consider UConn a Blue Blood Program on the verge of returning to its previous status and relevant to the recent DH quote. Am not going to get into a debate. Thread should be deleted. Get a W on Thursday.

Reaction Score
Here is an exhaustive list from SB Nation which does not include Hurley:

Did anyone read this? It says in the first paragraph that you make a blank check phone call to Jay Wright (he wouldn't even pick up the phone), and then it lists off coaches at pinnacle jobs and it has Hurley, Few, Izzo, Calipari, etc in that category, but not Jay Wright.

What is it with these 2nd programs that think they can pry Jay Wright away lmao.

Coaches at these schools will never leave to go somewhere else, except to another school in this list, or the NBA:

Duke
UK
KU
UNC
UCLA
UConn
Nova

Reaction Score
The functional words in that post are “for Hurley.” For Hurley, a Northeastern guy, who coaches basketball UConn is a better job.
Exactly.

1) If jobs opened up at both Florida and UConn, Florida would get better candidates and would be considered a "better job"
2) UConn coach Dan Hurley is not going to leave UConn for Florida

These are entirely consistent and true statements.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Here is an exhaustive list from SB Nation which does not include Hurley:

Here is a non inspiring candy a$# version of the alligator chomp that fans have morphed into:

It might be humorous though to see Hurley leading the alligator army in "The Chomp"

"Exhaustive" is an apt description. I liked it and doubt there's a better 'catch-me-up' article out there, even if it's pitched toward a topic that wouldn't interest me except for the thread title.

Not sure if the video is an argument for or against Hurley leveraging any interest from a deep pockets program like Florida for stationing students courtside.

Oh yeah, big thanks for posting.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Did anyone read this? It says in the first paragraph that you make a blank check phone call to Jay Wright (he wouldn't even pick up the phone), and then it lists off coaches at pinnacle jobs and it has Hurley, Few, Izzo, Calipari, etc in that category, but not Jay Wright.

What is it with these 2nd programs that think they can pry Jay Wright away lmao.

Coaches at these schools will never leave to go somewhere else, except to another school in this list, or the NBA:

Duke
UK
KU
UNC
UCLA
UConn
Nova

And DH wouldn't be a candidate for any of those other jobs based on fit alone having nothing to do with ability or future success. He isn't taking the Seton Hall job unless there is a step in between. The guy will be here for life unless off the court issues intervene or he gets fired.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Exactly.

1) If jobs opened up at both Florida and UConn, Florida would get better candidates and would be considered a "better job"
2) UConn coach Dan Hurley is not going to leave UConn for Florida

These are entirely consistent and true statements.
I’m not sure that number one is actually correct. I think top candidates look at both jobs. Now, any one individual candidate might find one more appealing than another but that’s pretty much how life works.

For what it’s worth, a four-time national champion that is a national brand with outstanding facilities at a university in which men’s basketball is the focus for a great deal of its fans really isn’t all that common. UConn basketball is a destination job.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Strawman arguments. No one said you can’t have success away from your recruiting base. You can but absent to compelling reason to leave, why would you? Florida isn’t a better basketball job than UConn. It is even less so for Dan Hurley.
I guess I still don’t understand why Florida is a step down specifically for Hurley “being a northeast” basketball guy. I assumed you were saying that because his recruiting roots are in the Northeast, Florida is a step down, and I argued against that point, so for that I apologize.

But then why is it even a greater step down for Hurley?
What if they offer him more money? What if he likes the weather in Florida?
You can win national championships at Florida, too. In fact, they have just as many as we do since 2006.
The SEC is just as good, if not better than the Big East this year.

Reaction Score
I guess I still don’t understand why Florida is a step down specifically for Hurley “being a northeast” basketball guy. I assumed you were saying that because his recruiting roots are in the Northeast, Florida is a step down, and I argued against that point, so for that I apologize.

You can win national championships at Florida, too. In fact, they have just as many as we do since 2006.
Why would it be Hurley then? Nova and Gonzaga can’t offer SEC money so Wright and Few are better options than Hurley. You can win National Championships at FL and both those coaches have a better track record than DH so I think one of those two will end up there before our coach

Reaction Score
Dear 8 pound 10 ounce sweet Baby Jesus,

Please tell me the rumors are true and that our Baby Danny really is in the mix for that FL job. A little sunshine and southern hospitality would really do him some good.

Shake and Bake!

CheshireCat

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Yeah, I’m not sure how much more I can say that hasn’t already been said. Being a northeastern guy and having Northeastern connections, he’s huge. Does that mean that he can’t recruit elsewhere, no, but why walk away from that an innate advantage? Being close to his folks and having them able to come to games relatively easily is a big deal. Could they fly down to Florida? Sure, but in all likelihood they are going to see less games in person and more importantly he’s going to have less easy access to them.

I said it above, but I’ll say it again here the University of Connecticut is a destination coaching spot for men’s basketball. There are many better spots in the country. It has outstanding facilities. It has a well-known national brand. It has an outstanding history including being a four time national champion. Not to mention that men’s basketball is really the marquise sport for the University. It plays in the Big East which is a good conference that has the best conference tournament experience by a wide margin. There are other top locations that can compete with some of that, but very few can’t compete with all of it.

So given all the in advantages of the University, and Hurleys northeastern routes and familiarity with the university in the Big East conference there are, in my opinion, only a handful of positions that he would consider. it’s fine for you to believe otherwise, but we will just have to disagree on it.

Reaction Score

Please tell me the rumors are true and that our Baby Danny really is in the mix for that FL job. A little sunshine sunshine and southern hospitality would really do him some good.

Shake and Bake!

CheshireCat
Do you really think our program would be better off without Hurley right now? What do you think our options are to replace him? You have a right to all your criticisms of Hurley, and I may even agree with some of them, but it seems to me to be complete lunacy to suggest we could do better right now.

Reaction Score

Please tell me the rumors are true and that our Baby Danny really is in the mix for that FL job. A little sunshine and southern hospitality would really do him some good.

Shake and Bake!

CheshireCat

Wow, it has been over 20 minutes since I read a post where you complain about Hurley. Thanks for that--I really needed the reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom