Dan Hurley talks like the perfect coach for difficult UConn job | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley talks like the perfect coach for difficult UConn job

Reaction Score
Wow, super good interview. Love that Hurley is getting written up in New York papers.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
And as for his quote about loving to coach in the NBA someday...I hope he has enough success here where he gets serious consideration to do just that.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Exceptional interview. You really get a sense of the man Dan Hurley and the coach Dan Hurley.

This article should be read by every aspiring high school basketball player in the metropolitan area. This is the type of coach you want to play for!

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley talks like the perfect coach for difficult UConn job

Q: Describe the ideal Dan Hurley basketball player.
A: Athletic … hard-working … unselfish … attacking … relentless … super-competitive … all about winning.
What difference at this point des it matter what he says. In a few days the talk ends and the action begins. That will tell you much more than any words.

But any exposure in the New York press is a positive.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good read! And good to get some NYC press.

Well the Post is the 6th Borough's hometown newspaper.

Good read. I liked this quote.

Q: What don’t you tolerate?
A: I don’t tolerate cutting corners. I don’t tolerate lack of enthusiasm or energy. I don’t tolerate a student-athlete in my program discarding or throwing away an opportunity to get an education because the world takes advantage of stupid people.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Q: What is your definition of leadership?
A: Practice what you preach.

Reaction Score
Matunuck Oyster Bar bout to get that Boneyard bump

It is the best he's not lying. Was there for my bday with my wife a couple weeks ago still sat outside they have the nice heaters it was about 55. The Oysters Rockefeller are crazy good, jumbo shrimp just that with tons of horseradish....my wife had the salmon and scallops while I had the rib eye and scallops this time. Veggies always good all the sides always good the place is consistently one of the best dinners you will get and for a place with so much notoriety the prices are not awful.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Q: Would coaching in the NBA ever appeal to you?
A: Yeah, I tell every recruit that I’m a young and hungry coach. As they aspire one day to play at the NBA level, I would love someday, way down the road, hopefully after accomplishing some amazing things here, I would love to be an NBA coach.

Let the worrying begin!

Reaction Score
And as for his quote about loving to coach in the NBA someday...I hope he has enough success here where he gets serious consideration to do just that.
I’m surprised you’re the only one to point out the NBA mention by Hurley. If he can get us a 5th championship and then gets plucked away by the NBA, more power to him. That would have the program back at such a strong level that the job would be highly desired again.

Reaction Score
So if he has enough success at Uconn he is off to the NBA? What do you figure the chances are? I would be happy for him but sad for Uconn.

But that got me to thinking and this is way ahead in the future so you can stop now if you don't want to think that far ahead.... But I wonder, what are the chances another program poaches Hurley if he has success at Uconn, especially immediate and substantial success? How many programs would be able to pull that off? I do not think there are THAT many programs and luckily a place like Kansas is locked up with Self for at least 15 years, UCLA hopefully has Alford for a good long while as well as Zona with Miller.

What I am worried about is I figure if Coach K retires (that has to be in 5 years or so, no?) they would be one of the few schools to be able to pull it off. UNC (Roy has 10 years tops, no?) would also land him, no problem. Tom Izzo at MSU has ten years left in the tank. If Miller becomes the latest in a string of young coaches to falter at Indiana coninsiding with a Uconn rise would Indiana be able to poach him? Johnny boy over at UK is ripe for another skeezy violation, if that were to occur I am sure UK would be able to too. But again I suppose that is at least 5 and more likely a decade off before we have to worry about any of that. But in that 5 to 10 year time frame, especially if Uconn rises, what are the chances that Duke, UNC, MSU or even if there is a coaching change at Zona/UCLA/Indiana would be able to poach Hurley? What teams would be attractive enough? I would think that is about it. I also assume the NBA would be more attractive.

Reaction Score
So if he has enough success at Uconn he is off to the NBA? What do you figure the chances are? I would be happy for him but sad for Uconn.

But that got me to thinking and this is way ahead in the future so you can stop now if you don't want to think that far ahead.... But I wonder, what are the chances another program poaches Hurley if he has success at Uconn, especially immediate and substantial success? How many programs would be able to pull that off? I do not think there are THAT many programs and luckily a place like Kansas is locked up with Self for at least 15 years, UCLA hopefully has Alford for a good long while as well as Zona with Miller.

What I am worried about is I figure if Coach K retires (that has to be in 5 years or so, no?) they would be one of the few schools to be able to pull it off. UNC (Roy has 10 years tops, no?) would also land him, no problem. Tom Izzo at MSU has ten years left in the tank. If Miller becomes the latest in a string of young coaches to falter at Indiana coninsiding with a Uconn rise would Indiana be able to poach him? Johnny boy over at UK is ripe for another skeezy violation, if that were to occur I am sure UK would be able to too. But again I suppose that is at least 5 and more likely a decade off before we have to worry about any of that. But in that 5 to 10 year time frame, especially if Uconn rises, what are the chances that Duke, UNC, MSU or even if there is a coaching change at Zona/UCLA/Indiana would be able to poach Hurley? What teams would be attractive enough? I would think that is about it. I also assume the NBA would be more attractive.
If Hurley was younger I would agree that talk of jumping to another program or NBA is far away but he’ll be 46 in January, which is not young for a coach. He seems very sincere about his appreciation for UConn’s history and what a great opportunity this is, so I’m less concerned about him going to another school. If NBA teams are interested after some considerable success at UConn, I think he’d want to coach in the NBA by 50.

Reaction Score
If Hurley was younger I would agree that talk of jumping to another program or NBA is far away but he’ll be 46 in January, which is not young for a coach. He seems very sincere about his appreciation for UConn’s history and what a great opportunity this is, so I’m less concerned about him going to another school. If NBA teams are interested after some considerable success at UConn, I think he’d want to coach in the NBA by 50.

I think his passion is a bit too huge now to jump in 4 even with a crazy offer. Think he's a college guy to at least mid 50's maybe more as I believe he wants to have a little Calhoun success before he jumps. But ya never know as you say.

Reaction Score
If he wins a championship and bolts, so be it. It would be more proof that the program is bigger than Calhoun. We'd have 3 coaches who won national titles, and would be well positioned to hire a strong candidate who knows he (she?) can win here regardless of conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
That's the last thing it needs, unfortunately. The place is already too popular.

You're so right. We are only an exit away all summer and hardly ever go for that reason alone. When we went on the 13th we got there for 4:15 and got a table outside it was full inside already with people waiting. Then within 20-30 minutes there were people waiting everywhere and the cars were backed up a few hundred feet too. I mean thats October the summer is whacked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom