Dan Hurley talks like the perfect coach for difficult UConn job | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley talks like the perfect coach for difficult UConn job

Reaction Score
Call me crazy but I'd like to think that if he brings UConn back up to elite championship quality any other job would be a lateral move.
You're crazy. Coaching in the NBA is not a lateral move. It's not always as good of a fit and I believe more often than not (maybe 50/50) it doesn't work out for the college coach making the jump, but it's still the NBA.

Edit (The "crazy" comment is a joke).

Reaction Score
You're crazy. Coaching in the NBA is not a lateral move. It's not always as good of a fit and I believe more often than not (maybe 50/50) it doesn't work out for the college coach making the jump, but it's still the NBA.

Edit (The "crazy" comment is a joke).
I think he meant another college job.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Q: Would coaching in the NBA ever appeal to you?
A: Yeah, I tell every recruit that I’m a young and hungry coach. As they aspire one day to play at the NBA level, I would love someday, way down the road, hopefully after accomplishing some amazing things here, I would love to be an NBA coach.

Let the worrying begin!

Already worried

Reaction Score
So if he has enough success at Uconn he is off to the NBA? What do you figure the chances are? I would be happy for him but sad for Uconn.

But that got me to thinking and this is way ahead in the future so you can stop now if you don't want to think that far ahead.... But I wonder, what are the chances another program poaches Hurley if he has success at Uconn, especially immediate and substantial success? How many programs would be able to pull that off? I do not think there are THAT many programs and luckily a place like Kansas is locked up with Self for at least 15 years, UCLA hopefully has Alford for a good long while as well as Zona with Miller.

What I am worried about is I figure if Coach K retires (that has to be in 5 years or so, no?) they would be one of the few schools to be able to pull it off. UNC (Roy has 10 years tops, no?) would also land him, no problem. Tom Izzo at MSU has ten years left in the tank. If Miller becomes the latest in a string of young coaches to falter at Indiana coninsiding with a Uconn rise would Indiana be able to poach him? Johnny boy over at UK is ripe for another skeezy violation, if that were to occur I am sure UK would be able to too. But again I suppose that is at least 5 and more likely a decade off before we have to worry about any of that. But in that 5 to 10 year time frame, especially if Uconn rises, what are the chances that Duke, UNC, MSU or even if there is a coaching change at Zona/UCLA/Indiana would be able to poach Hurley? What teams would be attractive enough? I would think that is about it. I also assume the NBA would be more attractive.

If he has success, I can see his brother going to Duke.

Reaction Score
Im a little surprised that he came right out and said that about coaching in the NBA. I would absolutely be worried if the Knicks or Nets ever came calling one day.

As for Matunucks, It really does not get any better if youre looking for a good seafood place on the water.

Reaction Score
Im a little surprised that he came right out and said that about coaching in the NBA. I would absolutely be worried if the Knicks or Nets ever came calling one day.

As for Matunucks, It really does not get any better if youre looking for a good seafood place on the water.
If the Knicks or Nets come calling it means that he's had tremendous success at UConn. Which means we'd be a perenial power and we'd be going big game hunting in a coaching search. We'll cross that bridge if/when we get there. Btw I don't think Hurley's coaching style is fitted for the NBA at all, and I think he'll fall in love with UConn and retire as our head coach. He's Calhoun's heir apparent. Just my honest opinion

Reaction Score
If the Knicks or Nets come calling it means that he's had tremendous success at UConn. Which means we'd be a perenial power and we'd be going big game hunting in a coaching search. We'll cross that bridge if/when we get there. Btw I don't think Hurley's coaching style is fitted for the NBA at all, and I think he'll fall in love with UConn and retire as our head coach. He's Calhoun's heir apparent. Just my honest opinion

His coaching style is not NBA-style at all. Nor does he have any experience at that level.

1. Defensive pressure does not work in the NBA really It's a very college-ready offense, but at the NBA level will give up 100,000 lay ups per game. It's all about matchups and adjustments. To his credit--Hurley's teams defend the 3 point shot like psychopaths. Something that is really needed in the NBA.
2. No one yet knows how Hurley will handle big-time player ego. Let alone NBA player ego.
3. He isn't a great offensive coach yet.

When you looked at a coach like Brad Stevens in college, it was obvious he had NBA traits. Matchup coaching, offensive sets, flexibility, etc. Hurley is more of a motivator as his biggest strength.

Doesn't mean it couldn't change though. Tons of potential and hunger with this guy.

Reaction Score
If Hurley was younger I would agree that talk of jumping to another program or NBA is far away but he’ll be 46 in January, which is not young for a coach. He seems very sincere about his appreciation for UConn’s history and what a great opportunity this is, so I’m less concerned about him going to another school. If NBA teams are interested after some considerable success at UConn, I think he’d want to coach in the NBA by 50.
So 4 years? I think the NBA is going to want to see a lot more than that from a guy with no NBA experience. If in 4 years the NBA comes calling thatll mean he has done something absolutely historic with Uconn so it would problably be worth the trade off of losing him to the league.

Reaction Score
Hurley hasn’t done anything here yet. When he does, we’ll treat him well and become his family. Over the years, many great coaches that thought they’d move on to the NBA or another school stayed where they were. Dan Hurley hasn’t grown to love UConn, the program, the fans, his new house or anything else yet. If you become an icon at a school like UConn, other opportunities don’t look as big anymore. You have to stop and reflect on what you’d be giving up. JC had that come up many times and each time, he chose Storrs.

Dan Hurley knows this is a big job, but it isn’t the fiber of his life yet. I’ll worry when he’s won big here and still says he wants to coach in the NBA. I have a feeling his dad’s career choices will factor in. Bob Sr. has lead a very full life and made a difference in the lives of others. He never had to leave his high school coaching job to achieve incredible things. I think Dan will think about that at some point when making his future career decisions. He’s at a top 5 program. It is a job that was good enough for Hall of Famer and 3 time champ Jim Calhoun to spend 26 years doing. We’ll see where this goes, but I’m not even remotely worried about him leaving for at least 7-8 years or so. If he is leaving for big things, he must have achieved mightily. In that case, our next coach will likely be a proven commodity honored to take the job and a near certainty to keep winning.

Reaction Score

It was a strange interview to me, in that it almost tried to separate him from UConn. On several occasions, when asked about coaches he learns from or idolizes, he doesn’t mention Calhoun once. Then the NBA mention. It almost seems as if the interview was edited to or structured in a certain way with an anti UConn bias. Him discussing dreams of coaching in the NBA before coaching a game at UConn and not mentioning Calhoun don’t add up well.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Can we get rid of this thread?

smh. I didn't expect this from you. Weren't you asking someone else about who made them the arbiter of what can be spoken about on the message board, and now you're doing it...

Reaction Score
smh. I didn't expect this from you. Weren't you asking someone else about who made them the arbiter of what can be spoken about on the message board, and now you're doing it...
It's just classic boneyard nonsense. People worrying about Hurley leaving before he's ever even coached a game at UConn.

No Hans-like moralizing from me, just pointing out a thread that's going nowhere good.

Reaction Score
Hurley hasn’t done anything here yet. When he does, we’ll treat him well and become his family. Over the years, many great coaches that thought they’d move on to the NBA or another school stayed where they were. Dan Hurley hasn’t grown to love UConn, the program, the fans, his new house or anything else yet. If you become an icon at a school like UConn, other opportunities don’t look as big anymore. You have to stop and reflect on what you’d be giving up. JC had that come up many times and each time, he chose Storrs.

Dan Hurley knows this is a big job, but it isn’t the fiber of his life yet. I’ll worry when he’s won big here and still says he wants to coach in the NBA. I have a feeling his dad’s career choices will factor in. Bob Sr. has lead a very full life and made a difference in the lives of others. He never had to leave his high school coaching job to achieve incredible things. I think Dan will think about that at some point when making his future career decisions. He’s at a top 5 program. It is a job that was good enough for Hall of Famer and 3 time champ Jim Calhoun to spend 26 years doing. We’ll see where this goes, but I’m not even remotely worried about him leaving for at least 7-8 years or so. If he is leaving for big things, he must have achieved mightily. In that case, our next coach will likely be a proven commodity honored to take the job and a near certainty to keep winning.
Nice post @Hoophound.

Reaction Score
He wants to stay here. He will take an NBA job after he succeeds here. Not after succeeding at Kentucky, etc. He considers UConn a destination job for the collegiate level. Can we finish a season first before speculating?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom