Dan Hurley Gone ..!!! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley Gone ..!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Eh, storming the court over a regular season win against #8 in the country is pretty damn lame. I get that most of the students in attendance never experienced the level of success this program was used to, but typically you reserve that kind of response for a game against the #1 team. Not as lame as doing it coming off a national championship against #5 AZ, but still fairly lame
I agree, in theory, but in practice? You nailed it, these kids weren’t there for the old success. This was a highly emotionally charged game, where the head coach got tossed and where we beat a top 10 team after being down by four with 26 seconds left. I get kids running on to the court. In the end, I think I’m OK with ruffling the sensibilities of geezers like the two of us so that college kids get the memory of a lifetime. So, again in theory, it was lame, in practice, totally dig it, glad the kids enjoyed it.

Reaction Score
No coach has ever been t’d up for hyping up the crowd. There is no way Hurley thought he’d be tossed for that. Absolutely no way.

Not true

There is a famous instance where Billy Tubbs - after much crowd display and active ref technicals - got on the arena microphone and said: "No matter how bad the referees are, we are Oklahoma and we should act in a way we should be proud of" ... and they gave him a Technical for that.

Reaction Score
I was right behind the UConn bench and Hurley was absolutely being a jerk and trying to show up the refs. He wasn’t trying to get the crowd to cheer. He was trying to get them to boo and abuse the refs. Kind of a punk childish thing to do. Might not have been T worthy, but it was borderline. Also, I’ve been to lots of basketball games in my life. I can’t say I have seen a coach do quite what he did. I’ve seen coaches stamp and break clip boards and all manner of thing, but Turing to the crowd and encouraging them to get more abusive? Nope.

Hurley has earned himself a reputation as a hothead and a jerk. Refs in major conferences aren’t putting up with that. When you get that rep, the tendency is going to be to call the T, because refs don’t want to have to deal with childish crap for 40 minutes.
He was trying to get them to boo? Dude high fived Cole, smiled, and turned around and raised his arms to pump the crowd up.

Yeah, that just exuded vibes of “Boo this man.” I guess that’s why literally everyone immediately started cheering. They must have missed Hurley’s calculated message. Don’t be ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not true

There is a famous instance where Billy Tubbs - after much crowd display and active ref technicals - got on the arena microphone and said: "No matter how bad the referees are, we are Oklahoma and we should act in a way we should be proud of" ... and they gave him a Technical for that.
There's a gap the size of the Grand Canyon between turning around and hyping up the crowd like Hurley, and getting on the microphone and calling out the officials for sucking

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I kind of like it. Embrace the "Black Hat" Let's be the "Heels" . Im great with our coach driving referees and opposing fan bases nuts. It’s better than driving us nuts!

I like that we as a fan base are universally hated. It means we are doing some right. Apathy is way worse.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Here's the thing, if you call that second T on Hurley, then you have to call it every time someone tries to hype up the crowd. If you don't, then you look like you had something personal on him. If you do, we'll then good luck getting any reffing assignment again
That would be way too logical and consistent; what is more important today is how the ref feels about himself. This along with the continually ridiculous passes afforded to Colin "the steamroller" Gillespie
as he bulldozes his way to the bucket throwing elbows shoulders and forearms without penalty is why the coaches (or AD's) should collectively approach the league office at the end of the season and bring some sanity to some of the ref hypocrisies we (and the entire viewing audience) are now witnessing. Biased referees undermine the entire game itself no matter whose team is getting help or hindered.
The game is bigger than refs, any one player; or coaches. Fair and uniform treatment for every player and team. It's not too much to ask.

Reaction Score
I kind of like it. Embrace the "Black Hat" Let's be the "Heels" . Im great with our coach driving referees and opposing fan bases nuts. It’s better than driving us nuts!

I like that we as a fan base are universally hated. It means we are doing some right. Apathy is way worse.

and ,,, for the weary souls who say Calhoun wouldn't do that. Calhoun was universally hated by conference and national fanbases. Not hard to start a conversation with a fan of a opposing team and hearing a 2 minute whine about Jimmy. And WE love him and that. So Danny is in our tradition. As is Mr. Auriemma.

Reaction Score
Not true

Unlike Tubbs, Hurley did not get on a microphone, a gesture done to express is frustration with the technicals, and to inflame the Refs and stir up the crowd.

If you are a Ref whether a fair or unfair Ref, you have no other choice than to T up the coach.

Hurley raised his hands up. No microphone. If he swore at the ref or said something to the Ref, I am not aware of it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not true

Arguably that wasn’t hyping the crowd. He got tied up for trying to calm down the crowd.

Reaction Score
Unlike Tubbs, Hurley did not get on a microphone, a gesture done to express is frustration with the technicals, and to inflame the Refs and stir up the crowd.

If you are a Ref whether a fair or unfair Ref, you have no other choice than to T up the coach.

Hurley raised his hands up. No microphone. If he swore at the ref or said something to the Ref, I am not aware of it.

I have watched a lot of basketball. UCONN level sure. TV and in person. Loads of HS hoop as my family had this little green sectional card in NYS that gave us free access to any game. Summer leagues. Small small college ball. Girls.

There should be no expectation that any Ref won't T you up for what Danny Hurley did the other night. It is just enough to have one guy say ... he's gone. And yes, I could see a CYO ref in 1975 doing the same thing. I don't like it. Blessing got universally dismissed. I expect I will see that again. Particularly now that Underwood has repeated it within days.

CL82

Reaction Score

Disagree. Breeding had let it become personal. That’s exactly what he should not be doing.

Reaction Score
Also, I’ve been to lots of basketball games in my life. I can’t say I have seen a coach do quite what he did. I’ve seen coaches stamp and break clip boards and all manner of thing, but Turing to the crowd and encouraging them to get more abusive? Nope.
I'm not sure why I'm replying to you but I couldn't resist. Sometimes you make up stuff trying to prove a point. Stop lying just to support your arguments.

You've never seen that before? Seriously? It happened just last night. Someone already posted it above but here you go. Unfortunately Underwood had already gotten his 2nd technical. Would have been interesting to see what those refs did if there was only 1 technical before he did that.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Breeding had let it become personal. That’s exactly what he should not be doing.
I was in no way defending Breeding.

When I said the Ref had no choice, my statement referred to Tubbs' conduct, based on Tubbs' addressing the audience on the mike. This seemed to be a flouting of the referees as he made clear in his address to the fans.

I do not agree with Breeding's call against Hurley.

Reaction Score
He was trying to get them to boo? Dude high fived Cole, smiled, and turned around and raised his arms to pump the crowd up.

Yeah, that just exuded vibes of “Boo this man.” I guess that’s why literally everyone immediately started cheering. They must have missed Hurley’s calculated message. Don’t be ridiculous.
The crowd was booing the first T and booing Gillespie. And honestly that was fine. No problem. Then Hurley decided to be a cheerleader. He absolutely was trying to show up the refs. I would hope they look the other way. Problem is he had earned the reputation as a jerk. So they won’t.

Biggest game of the year and he got to watch most of it on FS1. Fortunately Kimani was cool and professional down the stretch. Pulled the guys together down 5 when it looked sort of bleak. Jackson, in particular looked beaten. I though Kimani did a great job.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You may be thinking of Michigan. I've seen a couple references to it. UConn was #15 at the time in 2010
Nope. UNC. When D'oh was coaching.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why I'm replying to you but I couldn't resist. Sometimes you make up stuff trying to prove a point. Stop lying just to support your arguments.

You've never seen that before? Seriously? It happened just last night. Someone already posted it above but here you go. Unfortunately Underwood had already gotten his 2nd technical. Would have been interesting to see what those refs did if there was only 1 technical before he did that.

Ok now I’ve seen it twice. Didn’t see that particular game. And I guess yeah, after being tossed I have seen it as a guy is heading out. But it is a different situation after a guy is already gone, too. Nothing much to risk. But sure you can probably find an example of anything. I mean years ago I saw , Lefty Driesel get 3 Ts. Well officially only 2 but he refused to go so they called another, this time on the Maryland bench. So sure crazy stuff happens.

Reaction Score
The crowd was booing the first T and booing Gillespie. And honestly that was fine. No problem. Then Hurley decided to be a cheerleader. He absolutely was trying to show up the refs. I would hope they look the other way. Problem is he had earned the reputation as a jerk. So they won’t.

Biggest game of the year and he got to watch most of it on FS1. Fortunately Kimani was cool and professional down the stretch. Pulled the guys together down 5 when it looked sort of bleak. Jackson, in particular looked beaten. I though Kimani did a great job.
You're really doubling down on this. The funny thing is Kimani hyped up the crowd in the second half with the exact same motion (and the crowd gave the exact same reaction, which was not abuse, it was cheering). I feel like you were just watching a completely different game than the rest of us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ever time I see this thread title I have to remind myself that he hasn’t left UConn to coach Duke, or the Knicks. Can we let this die and drop off page one?

Reaction Score
Hurley coaching the Knicks?

Since Pat Riley and Jeff Van Gundy, they've spun the carousel and tried every other coach from the venerable Lenny Wilkins to Don Nelson to Thibs? Had a good year out of Mike Woodson.

Could they do worse?

Just not yet. He needs a few more years here.

Reaction Score
NOT saying I agree with this (I don't), but apparently, this is the rule the refs could point to, to justify Hurley's second T....

“The coach shall respect and support contest officials. The coach shall not indulge in conduct which would incite players or spectators against the officials. Public criticism of officials or players is unethical.”

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Where does this rule come from? Is it in a Ref's Rulebook promulgated by the NCAA?

If that is the Rule, how can Hurley's waving his arms to get the crowd to cheer, be an incitement to disrespect officials?

If he gave a thumbs down sign and then raised his hands, you could maybe correlate the 2 events, but this is hypothetical since Hurley gave no thumbs down gesture or any other finger gesture.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom