Dan Hurley Game Breakdowns on Instagram | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley Game Breakdowns on Instagram

Reaction Score
Over on Instagram, Dan Hurley is breaking down game film. He’s done Sacred Heart and Saint Joseph's so far.

Here's Game 1:

Game 1 vs. Sacred Heart 2019-20 Season: 5 Clips that tell the story...Plus an added Bonus with the brief Halftime Interview. Typical Home opener...Great atmosphere! Sloppy offensively with poor shot selection and weak finishes at the rim , we lacked energy and intensity defensively and our rebounding effort at the defensive end was dreadful. We got off to a fast start in the second half using our defensive intensity to fuel our offense...we did a better job playing inside-out and attacking the zone...Opening night games are tricky...you don’t know how the new guys will respond under the lights...and everyone is nervous and a little jittery. Relief was the feeling after this one ended.

Reaction Score
Here's Game 2:

Game 2–2019-20 Season:
Total Program Meltdown! Distractions internally going into the game...Soft Defensively and Selfish Offensively...Our closeouts were weak and we never played Chest to Chest Defense on the Ball...We never established an inside game vs a smaller team and our shot selection and decision making was awful. This performance reflected very badly on me as a leader and a coach at this point. It’s rare that I feel embarrassed after losses...frustrated-angry-disappointed are more of what I feel...actually it felt more like shame. Every time I saw a St. Joe’s score this winter it brought back feelings from this game...I like to fix things so in a weird way I enjoyed the challenge of getting the program moving back up the mountain but this evening felt like falling off of a cliff. ⛰
Game 2 Year 2 I realized we had to break a lot of losing habits...I had great confidence because I’ve been through this process before.

Reaction Score
Over on Instagram, Dan Hurley is breaking down game film. He’s done Sacred Heart and Saint Joseph's so far.

Here's Game 1:

Game 1 vs. Sacred Heart 2019-20 Season: 5 Clips that tell the story...Plus an added Bonus with the brief Halftime Interview. Typical Home opener...Great atmosphere! Sloppy offensively with poor shot selection and weak finishes at the rim , we lacked energy and intensity defensively and our rebounding effort at the defensive end was dreadful. We got off to a fast start in the second half using our defensive intensity to fuel our offense...we did a better job playing inside-out and attacking the zone...Opening night games are tricky...you don’t know how the new guys will respond under the lights...and everyone is nervous and a little jittery. Relief was the feeling after this one ended.

From the Game 1 clips:
  • Vital showed signs he could lead the team through grit and toughness, with his ball hawking steal-3pt-steal-3pt sequence and standing in for the charge towards the end
  • Carlton showed flashes of junior year Carlton with confident post moves... Against smaller competition. This won't continue all year.
  • I didn't remember Sid Wilson going off for 10pts in the first half, 13pts overall. Disappointing this and consistent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's Game 2:

Game 2–2019-20 Season:
Total Program Meltdown! Distractions internally going into the game...Soft Defensively and Selfish Offensively...Our closeouts were weak and we never played Chest to Chest Defense on the Ball...We never established an inside game vs a smaller team and our shot selection and decision making was awful. This performance reflected very badly on me as a leader and a coach at this point. It’s rare that I feel embarrassed after losses...frustrated-angry-disappointed are more of what I feel...actually it felt more like shame. Every time I saw a St. Joe’s score this winter it brought back feelings from this game...I like to fix things so in a weird way I enjoyed the challenge of getting the program moving back up the mountain but this evening felt like falling off of a cliff. ⛰
Game 2 Year 2 I realized we had to break a lot of losing habits...I had great confidence because I’ve been through this process before.

Game 2:
Real honest breakdown of this game from Hurley. Soul crushing and embarrassing.

I honestly blacked out how bad this game was. I know other boneyarders have contributed to discuss how bad of a loss it was and how much of an effect it had on end of year rankings.

I think cause I didn't have overly high expectations this year, since we were in year 2 of rebuild mode. I accepted the lose. They fought to comeback but dug such a large home to start.

I remember Akok's open court euro step dunk thinking he could be special. We need him to think more aggressively on the offensive end when he comes back.

Any boneyarders with insight into the internal distractions leading into this game that Hurley referenced?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only thing I really remember from the St. Joes game is we fell behind by 27 points. 27 points. 27 points. It was hard, almost impossible to get behind that team by 27 points. Surreal. Insane. But I sat there and watched.

What I remember is we came all the way back and like other games with better decisions would've won that one too. Should have!

Reaction Score
Hurley giving honest breakdowns of games is great. I am sure it helps him and the fans all stuck home.
Definitely gives insight to his thought process and is admirable that he is letting us in his head a little. It does show the respect he has for everyone who follows the team and their basketball IQ.

Reaction Score
I wish he'd actually film himself watching game tape and commenting on it live. That would eat up so many hours.

The ultimate entertainment would be getting Calhoun to do the same thing, particularly games where they played bad. His live commentary over clips of him walking to half court after calling a timeout is the entertainment we all need right now.

Reaction Score
Game 2:
Real honest breakdown of this game from Hurley. Soul crushing and embarrassing.

I honestly blacked out how bad this game was. I know other boneyarders have contributed to discuss how bad of a loss it was and how much of an effect it had on end of year rankings.

I think cause I didn't have overly high expectations this year, since we were in year 2 of rebuild mode. I accepted the lose. They fought to comeback but dug such a large home to start.

I remember Akok's open court euro step dunk thinking he could be special. We need him to think more aggressively on the offensive end when he comes back.

Any boneyarders with insight into the internal distractions leading into this gave that Hurley referenced?

The last clip, the losing habits and lack of winning plays, is epitomized by Sid Wilson losing his guy on the rebound, not boxing out, then fumbling the ball away.

If we grab that board, we have momentum with the ball, down 4, and St. Joe's is in trouble.

Winning players/teams just have a sense for time and place and what it takes to get the job done. Hurley clearly gets this.

Reaction Score
Distractions internally going into the game.

Before the St.Joe's game. Does anyone know what those were? Don't remember anything. Bouknight's troubles were way before this so couldn't have been that.

Reaction Score
"This performance reflected very badly on me as a leader and a coach at this point. It’s rare that I feel embarrassed after losses...frustrated-angry-disappointed are more of what I feel...actually it felt more like shame."

Can you ever imagine Randy Edsall saying that? Might have something to do with the current state of each program.

Reaction Score
"This performance reflected very badly on me as a leader and a coach at this point. It’s rare that I feel embarrassed after losses...frustrated-angry-disappointed are more of what I feel...actually it felt more like shame."

Can you ever imagine Randy Edsall saying that? Might have something to do with the current state of each program.

Or simply more to do with who Hurley is as a person.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom