Damn. Let the 2nd guessing begin | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Damn. Let the 2nd guessing begin

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I guess KLS has another year to be Stewie-ish

Reaction Score
UConn's style of play in the regular season doesnt translate in these FF games recently. Need to consistently have guards drive & have a constant presence on the boards. Had none of that tonight. Instead, if you rely on the finesse, quick passing, jump-shooting game, you have to be "on" against a good, physical team. This is almost an exact copy of last year's season. More talent overall, but same result. Got to blame Geno for not changing things up & anticipating this. Last year he had a pass. This year, UConn should have won it all but didnt & he deserves a lot of the blame. Inexecusable to lose to such an undermanned team.

ND not so undermanned. Their all-americans rose to their ability levels. Even under-performing, OUR team still had a chance to win. For whatever reason, Z wasn't in the game long enough to collapse the defense enough to allow our shooters enough time to score over their perimeter defenders. In his quiet times, Geno has to know this.

Reaction Score
At least those were two evenly matched teams. This UConn team is much better than Notre Dame.

Maybe this will dispel the notion that close wins during the season somehow makes teams ready for close games late. Geno was so thrilled by eeking out wins against Texas and Notre Dame. Just doesn't mean anything.
True but both those games were like a lifetime ago!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Sorry, but refs don't decide ball games. Any good coach will admit that bad calls tend to even out. ND made one more big play than we Uconn and believed in themselves the entire game. Go watch the minute before tipoff when the teams broke their huddles. ND was loose and confident, Huskies looks scared and then played poorly.
We played poorly? We lost by two points in overtime to a very good team.
We TWICE came back from 5 point deficits in the last 44 seconds and nearly scored with one second left.
Shots go in or they don't but we don't have anything to be ashamed about.
Our two seniors lost a total of 3 games in four years, none in 40 minutes, 2 came on buzzer beaters.
Every close call went against us
Wish there was way to block trolls on our site.

Reaction Score
Watched some of Miss. St. Was NOT impressed by the team. The Ville should have had them beaten. Big girl in middle of MSST. is not really that good. Big? yes, but was not impressed. I fully expect ND to run her ragged.

21 points, 25 rebounds(breaking a record that had stood for 24 years), and played all 45 minutes. You are a hard person to impress.

Reaction Score
ironically do you know one of the few UConn players that really can get her own shot in isolation time? ......Megan Walker....I know it would have been too risky to put her out on the floor at the end of the game but perhaps if she had played more during the season that would have prepared her for such a moment.
A game-seasoned, ready-to-play Megan is exactly the kind of player we needed to make plays on offense against the team we faced last night. I don't know the details of what went on during the season that prevented that, so I'm not going to second-guess Geno there. But it is a damn shame she did not feature prominently once it became clear what Notre Dame was bringing against us last night.

Reaction Score
The fouls calls drove me crazy! 23 shots for ND to 6 for UCONN...

It is simple, ND was more aggressive driving and refs generally reward aggressiveness. We don't have any slashers, or seemingly anyone who wants to take over the game.

Reaction Score
1) Jessica Shepard was the real difference maker. She got so many rebound and putbacks.

2) After Jackie Young scores 10. Put a different defender on her.

3) They did a really good job limiting Lou.

4) Azura should’ve started that second half with Crystal on the bench.

5) Give Megan Walker a shot.

6)Disclaimer: I’m usually not one to judge Geno’s coaching. He can do no wrong in my eyes. Just fustrated that we never perform well in overtime.

Reaction Score
21 points, 25 rebounds(breaking a record that had stood for 24 years), and played all 45 minutes. You are a hard person to impress.
I agree with him, I’m not impressed by her. I like bigs that show good footwork in the post, very physical, and can pass out of the post like Kalani Brown, Griner, Fowler, Tina Charles(when she played center at UConn; more of a forward now), and Stef Dolson. She’s very fragile and reminds me of posts like Imani McGee-Stafford, Natalie Butler, Michelle Snow, Ashley Robinson, and Nancy Mulkey - big but not very good, she’s better than last year though.

Reaction Score
A game-seasoned, ready-to-play Megan is exactly the kind of player we needed to make plays on offense against the team we faced last night. I don't know the details of what went on during the season that prevented that, so I'm not going to second-guess Geno there. But it is a damn shame she did not feature prominently once it became clear what Notre Dame was bringing against us last night.
I just don't get why we are still talking about MW? She had a whole season waiting for her to become a significant addition, and was literally handed the 7th spot.
While none of us know what actually went down, it's clear she wasn't able to solidify that role.
Hopefully she will come into next season being much more prepared and capable of doing at least some of what was expected of her.
I'm not sure she will ever be that much more than a role player, but she could make a huge sophomore leap.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I agree with him, I’m not impressed by her. I like bigs that show good footwork in the post, very physical, and can pass out of the post like Kalani Brown, Griner, Fowler, Tina Charles(when she played center at UConn; more of a forward now), and Stef Dolson. She’s very fragile and reminds me of posts like Imani McGee-Stafford, Natalie Butler, Michelle Snow, Ashley Robinson, and Nancy Mulkey - big but not very good, she’s better than last year though.
Agree completely! She's not just very tall but very strong!
Almost all of her baskets are in close or put backs and of course she should be able to rebound!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I just don't get why we are still talking about MW? She had a whole season waiting for her to become a significant addition, and was literally handed the 7th spot.
While none of us know what actually went down, it's clear she wasn't able to solidify that role.
Hopefully she will come into next season being much more prepared and capable of doing at least some of what was expected of her.
I'm not sure she will ever be that much more than a role player, but she could make a huge sophomore leap.
Bronx23
We're talking about MW because this is a discussion board about UConn women's basketball. :)

Actually I am in full agreement on your point that she wasn't able to solidify the role, something I tried (but apparently failed) to express in my post that you quoted.

Reaction Score
Sorry if I overreacted to your post, as I was reacting to the ongoing and continual blabber about how MW is going to be and do this and that. She will now or next year or by her senior year become an AA or NPOY.
She has a huge amount of work just to become a part of the regular rotation, then hopefully a starter and then very maybe a huge contributor.
Time will tell!
I apologize for overreacting!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Bronx23

when the number one player high school player in the country can barely see the floor that's worth talking about............Geno treated her like a puppet on a string..........the minute she made a mistake she was pulled with no idea when she would get back in a game.............from my perspective it led to an up and down season for a player that could have been so much more helpful to the team in a game like last night...........I'm sure I could find many freshmen that played in meaningful games for their teams who learned a lot and are ready to go next season..........if I were Walker I simply wouldn't know what to think about the future at UConn...........

Reaction Score
BTW do you think Chennedy Carter would have gotten any minutes playing for Geno last year? Based on his stated criteria I would seriously doubt it...........

Reaction Score
I wonder when Tonyc is going to give his analysis on the ND-UConn game? I know he was confidence (like he always is) that UConn was going to win the game, so the outcome has to be a shock to him.

Reaction Score
MW Will be fine,she will be back and shine,she has skill you can see it ,but you have 6 others on the team that shoot,but saying that i think she could done just as good as some of starters did throwing the ball away,there only one guy that doubts her talent mostly and so i dont get to excited.

Reaction Score
We played poorly? We lost by two points in overtime to a very good team.
We TWICE came back from 5 point deficits in the last 44 seconds and nearly scored with one second left.
Shots go in or they don't but we don't have anything to be ashamed about.
Our two seniors lost a total of 3 games in four years, none in 40 minutes, 2 came on buzzer beaters.
Every close call went against us
Wish there was way to block trolls on our site.
Finally - perspective...

Reaction Score
But you're not Megan. Not to put too fine a point on it but what exactly is the relevance of you projecting your thoughts and your feelings on to an 18-year-old kid you don't know and about relationships you know nothing about?

So you don't think it's reasonable to assume she's not pleased with her freshman year? Geno has already made his thoughts plain in words and actions so my feelings represent a pretty likely viewpoint.........I didn't say what she's going to do about it..............now that that would be total conjecture on my part........

Reaction Score
I have to say I was disappointed in Samuelson down the stretch. Yes, she was in foul trouble so she was limited on defense but as one of the best players in the country and the best offensive player on our team she disappeared in key moments. And if you can’t defend wel with four fouls, then you have to make your impact on the offensive end otherwise you’re basically a liability for the team. ND played great perimeter defense, but KLS was not looking for her shot at all—when she got the ball she looked to immediately pass it. One of the key developments for her this year has been her ability to penetrate defenses better and score inside to make her more versatile and difficult to guard, but I saw little if any of that tonight.

It’s natural to blame bad calls, but they went both ways and UConn simply was not aggressive enough. From a coaching standpoint, I disagree with leaving Stevens on the bench to start the second half and some defensive choices in the second half, but you have to hand it to ND for the tenacious way they played. Their aggressive drives to the basket and throwing up shots while getting fouled gave me nausea-inducing PTSD from similar drives years ago by players like Natalie Novosel. When ND got to the free throw line every other possession and made almost all their shots, it’s hard to consistently have to score make up for that 2 point deficit every possession. We had key chances down the stretch, but this team honestly never consistently played with the hunger that I expected them to given last year’s ending.

I do expect our team next year to be in the mix with improved play from KLS, Stevens, and Dangerfield (and hopefully Walker as well, but to be honest our weak conference does not build our mental toughness the way it has in years past and there are several teams on the rise. I expect Geno and the team to respond in kind. Until next year...hats off to Gabby and Kia for a truly fantastic four years—they are great women and incredible players who played with class and humility. I wish it had ended different for them, but no one can take away their two titles and the plethora of accomplishments they racked up over the years.

Many astute observations here, none the least of which is the evaluation of KLS’ performance.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I wonder when Tonyc is going to give his analysis on the ND-UConn game? I know he was confidence (like he always is) that UConn was going to win the game, so the outcome has to be a shock to him.
a video like Margo's would be great

Reaction Score
After the loss I'm left with some questions.
1. Why didn't Azura start the 3rd period after being such a major part of the 2nd period comeback?
2. Why our G's didn't drive to the hoop as they did all season?
3. Why for the 2nd time in FF semi's we came out so flat? Geno and staff have to go back to the drawing board for that one!
4. Why our defense wasn't as shutdown tough as it was for the rest of the season?
5. Why do we use lazy passes across the court that were easily picked off instead of the razor sharp passes we used previously?
I don't know if I'll get the answers to those 5?

Reaction Score
After the loss I'm left with some questions.
1. Why didn't Azura start the 3rd period after being such a major part of the 2nd period comeback?
2. Why our G's didn't drive to the hoop as they did all season?
3. Why for the 2nd time in FF semi's we came out so flat? Geno and staff have to go back to the drawing board for that one!
4. Why our defense wasn't as shutdown tough as it was for the rest of the season?
5. Why do we use lazy passes across the court that were easily picked off instead of the razor sharp passes we used previously?
I don't know if I'll get the answers to those 5?

maybe just maybe Notre Dame had something to do with how UConn played?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom