Damn. Let the 2nd guessing begin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Damn. Let the 2nd guessing begin

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it a choke, which I associate with last minute, huge mental errors and losses of confidence. There were errors and crises scattered throughout the game, but UConn also had periods where they were doing well. There was some very clutch play toward the end of the 4th and OT that let us tie it, and some moderate mistakes and/or clutch ND shots after that. But the mistakes don't reach the level of a choke.

I would say that UConn was just out-toughed in this game. They were tough in bursts, but not for the sustained periods needed to win.

Reaction Score
I know you guys are kinda in your feelings. Your team just lost and I understand but that was an incredible display of basketball and as a fan of the women’s game I would have been proud of either team winning. To say the least, I am Excited about where the Women’s game is going. Congratulations on your season. You know they’ll be back!!

Reaction Score
They should’ve won this game by no less than 15.

Jesus.

And they turned it over with regularity. Let nd pound them on the boards late.

Down the stretch no one wanted the ball.
Watch the turnovers closely. Why were our players hesitant to drive? Why were they hesitant to pass? Because they would get hacked on every drive and because the passer would get hacked on the pass and/or the intended recipient would get bodied and hacked while try to catch the pass. After this happens a few times, players get hesitant. That gives the defense time to close or recover or jump lanes.

This isn't about any specific play. It is about what the refs allow and the tone that is set.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was so nervous the entire game, I never was confident with any lead we had. Great Game, Notre Dame always brings their best to us!

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it a choke, which I associate with last minute, huge mental errors and losses of confidence. There were errors and crises scattered throughout the game, but UConn also had periods where they were doing well. There was some very clutch play toward the end of the 4th and OT that let us tie it, and some moderate mistakes and/or clutch ND shots after that. But the mistakes don't reach the level of a choke.

I would say that UConn was just out-toughed in this game. They were tough in bursts, but not for the sustained periods needed to win.
Tough=hack

Reaction Score
This fanbase really needs to handle losses better. The blame game sickens me especially when it's targeted at young women who play their hearts out. Geno can handle the criticism, but what I've seen tonight is really disgraceful comments directed at young women who give their all. Basketball is a game and nothing more. Get over it. On to next season. Wow.

Reaction Score
Watch the turnovers closely. Why were our players hesitant to drive? Why were they hesitant to pass? Because they would get hacked on every drive and because the passer would get hacked on the pass and/or the intended recipient would get bodied and hacked while try to catch the pass. After this happens a few timed, players get hesitant. That gives the defense time to close or recover or jump lanes.

This isn't about any specific play. It is about what the refs allow and the tone that is set.
Oh come on. Give it a rest. The refs didn't lose this game for UCONN, UCONN did. The UCONN ladies worked hard, but they just didn't come with the same intensity and focus as ND. Give credit where credit is due and accept the loss for what it is.

Ogunbowale and Young were 19-36. Nurse and Dangerfield went 7-24. Enough said.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame drove the ball and that is the reason you get more foul calls.
UConn passed around the perimeter and didn't get the ball to the cutters.
UConn was content with outside shots. Not enough of them fell.
ND drove because they got the foul calls. We didn't because we didn't get the calls. It isn't about being content with outside shots. It is about knowing what will happen when you drive.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but refs don't decide ball games. Any good coach will admit that bad calls tend to even out. ND made one more big play than we Uconn and believed in themselves the entire game. Go watch the minute before tipoff when the teams broke their huddles. ND was loose and confident, Huskies looks scared and then played poorly.

Reaction Score
Oh come on. Give it a rest. The refs didn't lose this game for UCONN, UCONN did. The UCONN ladies worked hard, but they just didn't come with the same intensity and focus as ND. Give credit where credit is due and accept the loss for what it is.

Ogunbowale and Young were 19-36. Nurse and Dangerfield went 7-24. Enough said.
Nope. You are wrong. The refs set the tone. The tone allowed ND to win. We have seen this before. It. is. not. coincidence.

Reaction Score
This was a typical Notre Dame game and it’s been the way they play for years. Not a single thing ND did tonight surprised me, as this is how they’ve played since diggins stepped on campus and UConn should have known that and been ready for it and the fact that they weren’t is on the coaches and the players, not the refs.

Notre Dame has become experts on working the refs and it’s how they’ve managed to win against us over and over again. We needed players to box out late, no one was there. We needed someone to just drive and shoot, no one did. We needed someone to step up like Young did, no one did.

Kudos to Notre Dame; they had their game plan and they know how to execute. Our players couldn’t execute late.

It breaks my heart that this is how Gabby and Kia go out, but the players were outplayed and Muffet out coached Geno.

Reaction Score
Dont get the choke comments.

It's 2 years in a row of playing like deer in headlights on the biggest stage after being unbeaten in the regular season.

"Choke" is harsh, but is absolutely appropriate.

It's bewildering that players like Nurse and Williams, who epitomize toughness, have their teams perform like this.

Reaction Score
We got beat 19 to 4 at the foul line. That was the big difference in the game.
Credit to Notre Dame, they played great and Jackie Young killed us.

Reaction Score
UConn's style of play in the regular season doesnt translate in these FF games recently. Need to consistently have guards drive & have a constant presence on the boards. Had none of that tonight. Instead, if you rely on the finesse, quick passing, jump-shooting game, you have to be "on" against a good, physical team. This is almost an exact copy of last year's season. More talent overall, but same result. Got to blame Geno for not changing things up & anticipating this. Last year he had a pass. This year, UConn should have won it all but didnt & he deserves a lot of the blame. Inexecusable to lose to such an undermanned team.

Reaction Score
Congrats to ND!
UCONN mistakes were made but it was no way a choke as they battled back several times.
They had their chances to win it in regulation but outside shots were off!
ND won it on the foul line!
The refs stink every game for both teams so it didn't have a factor as both teams were burned by incompetent refs!
This one of those instances where a team, ND, has all the odds against them and somehow the final result becomes a plus! There are times in sports where it's like it's pre-ordained who is going to win! It'll be interesting if ND can pull out the Championship vs MISS ST.

Reaction Score
Lets face it - playing in the garbage American conference hurts us in these FF games. Gives a false sense of security & doesnt get the players mentally or physically ready for FF games. Worst thing to happen to UConn basketball (both women & men teams).

Reaction Score
Yeah, some bad calls, but not a horrible job in total by the refs. My observations:
  • The biggest impact the refs had on the game was calling four on KLS, causing her to stop defending. I know the 4th was a poor call. Will have to replay it to judge the other three.
  • UConn failed to penetrate the zone for most of the 4th quarter, and ND defended the perimeter very well.
  • Jackie Young with 32 points? She was not in UConn's defending plan, and she had a career night.
  • Regardless of opinions on the balance of foul calls, ND was great from the line - 19 for 23.
  • Too many of UConns 17 turnovers were just really bad passes.
I think in summary that to beat UConn you have to be one of the other best teams, play your best game, get a few bad calls in your favor, and have UConn not play their best game. You need all four of those elements, and tonight, ND had all four.

Sad for UConn and us rabid fans, but life goes on. And I pick ND to beat Miss St by a bunch, just as UConn would have done.

Reaction Score
Lets face it - playing in the garbage American conference hurts us in these FF games. Gives a false sense of security & doesnt get the players mentally or physically ready for FF games. Worst thing to happen to UConn basketball (both women & men teams).
Disagree. We still were playing top teams as recently as last month - a #2 and a #1 seed. We just don't have the ability to put top teams away anymore, and frankly why should we? Our talent isn't head and shoulders above the other teams.

Reaction Score
Dont get the choke comments.
Agree. If anyone choked it would be Geno. But choke is not the right word. Aggressiveness is the word. ND was more aggressive and took the game to UConn. I mention Geno because, like last year, he did not press the opposing team, in order to speed up the game. Not once if I remember. Even so, ND scored 91 points! If you can score against UConn, either because you play lights out on offense with career games from unexpected players, or, UConn plays without intensity on defense, UConn is in trouble. Geno will also be second guessed on keeping AZ on the bench longer than needed in the 3rd quarter. Oh well. ND deserved the win. They wanted it more and you can sense that from the 1st minute of the game.

Reaction Score
Disagree. We still were playing top teams as recently as last month - a #2 and a #1 seed. We just don't have the ability to put top teams away anymore, and frankly why should we? Our talent isn't head and shoulders above the other teams.

We played 2 good teams in the last 3 months of the season. Louisville and South Carolina. And S Carolina doesn't match up with us. The league doesn't matter when u have a Stewie and are playing Syracuse and Oregon State.

You can bet your bottom dollar it mattered the last 2 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom