Damn. Let the 2nd guessing begin | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Damn. Let the 2nd guessing begin

Reaction Score
UConn vs. ND in semifinal means potential for refs to impact the game with less scrutiny. Anyone that doesn't think this game was impacted by how it was called is clueless. We don't play bad against ND because they play magical defense. We play bad because ND is allowed to hack and it prevents our superior players from utilizing their skill and athletic advantages. And then they get rattled. You can say that is their fault but pretty much anyone would get rattled when being hacked constantly. They ALWAYS become afraid to drive when the game is called like this.
Superior - you mean Uconn's 5 McD's all americans vs ND's 5 McD's all americans. The talent gap isn't that big. This was a style of play thing. ND wasn't wasn't hacking any more than Uconn and this was a consistently called game. Once you know how the ref's are going to call you better make adjustments. Uconn did by going zone and bigger in the 2nd quarter and dominated. Why Steven's wasn't rewarded and start the 3rd is shocking (even if that's what Uconn did all year, you make changes for the game your in. ND wasn't afraid (the never are) and two great teams battled. ND only loses 1 starter and returns at least 2 of those who sat this year plus 2 HS All Americans. They maybe the favorites next year especially if our young players don't develop.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'll give you this, as I watched Louisville and Miss St, how come their 7-8-9 guys off the bench actually come in and contribute (they had to due to foul trouble) where ours don't even get off the bench?

Because three of them were misses by the coaching staff, one has been hurt and a shell of what they thought she could be, and the other two are either hurt and not ready or just not ready.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Notre Dame was just the more physical and more aggressive team tonight. The SC game showed that UConn could be scored on in the paint and ND was able to do that.

I expect Azura to return next season but the lack of a physical presence in the lane will still be a problem.

Maybe there's a bulky post player who can transfer in and gain immediate eligibility.

Am I right that Lou took 2 shots in the 2nd half (not counting the prayer at the end)? That was a problem. Having a guard who can take the ball to the basket and get fouled would be nice.

Reaction Score
The number of non-calls against ND was quite obvious. Made the game hard to watch. ND played a very good game - especially by Arike and Jackie Young. But the refs seemed to want to have their influence. Just sayin'
I agree the calls where inconsistent and favored the more aggressive team, ND. But, ND played a great offensive game. That can not be denied. Was the timid UConn defense influenced by the officials calling the game differently on them vs ND? I do not know. But it was UConn's lack of defense and ND's superior offense that won the game, either way. 91 points! Yikes.

Reaction Score
I was afraid that this would happen (again). Some of the same issues from last year arose again tonight. I don’t know what next year holds but I hope our incoming freshmen can make a significant impact their first year because the team will need it. This one hurts.

On a side note, I miss Stewie

Reaction Score
There were so many things that went wrong tonight that should not have happened, right down to biased officiating by the male ref, to be honest. But if I had to pick one overarching factor, it's that we did not have a big player step up and to win the game for us. That opportunity was there, but no one made it happen. Near the end of regulation, there were some big plays made to avoid losing the game, but nobody could step up to win it.

I personally believe that the pressure to live up to expectations and past history has become too much for the Huskies. Individually and as a team, they played very tentatively tonight during long stretches, in uncharacteristic fashion, similar to last year's semi-final.

There's a lot more to it, of course, but at the highest level those are my initial thoughts.
LOL...maybe they shouldn't let a guy named McConnell officiate a playoff game that includes the Fighting IRISH!

Reaction Score
Because three of them were misses by the coaching staff, one has been hurt and a shell of what they thought she could be, and the other two are either hurt and not ready or just not ready.
Can you put names to each of these categories? I tried to read between the lines.

Reaction Score
For the record this loss is a very painful and numbing one to swallow as I really wanted to feel gratification to see UCONN redeem themselves after last year's heartbreak but this one has to hurt more for myself considering all the talent and pieces they had returning and arriving but even before the season began I had a slight concern and flashback to 2001 with all the talented ensemble and not winning a NC (ironically losing to ND also) I feared and hoped to the gods they wouldn't replicate that this year but it is what it is. Life goes on and like the saying goes maybe third time's the charm for next season.

Big credit to Muffet and ND though. As much as I dont have the greatest fondness of her and her program in general, I very admire and truly appreciate what she has done this season. Easily the best coaching job of her tenure. She makes do with what she has and just goes with it and look she's into another (but this year unheralded) NCAA title game. Would Geno be able to do what she has this season had he been in the same predicament? I really dont know but obviously Muffet has proven she can.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I liked the Chong team better... I wasn't no more impressed with them team no more than last year's, especially with Z taking 3's. She was great at the end of the season and in the tourney.

I think the passing sucked! Rebounding seemed to be a lil problem as well.

Coach McGraw is a helluva coach and O'Wale put up some back breaking daggers... nothing you could do about those shots.

who wants to call those shots "LUCK"

Reaction Score
Some posters comment on the refs. I read a comment on the ESPN Facebook comment section (Not a very nice place), and they said that Kia's game tying layup shouldn't have counted. After re-watching that moment, she flat out traveled on that layup

Reaction Score
Agree. If anyone choked it would be Geno. But choke is not the right word. Aggressiveness is the word. ND was more aggressive and took the game to UConn. I mention Geno because, like last year, he did not press the opposing team, in order to speed up the game. Not once if I remember. Even so, ND scored 91 points! If you can score against UConn, either because you play lights out on offense with career games from unexpected players, or, UConn plays without intensity on defense, UConn is in trouble. Geno will also be second guessed on keeping AZ on the bench longer than needed in the 3rd quarter. Oh well. ND deserved the win. They wanted it more and you can sense that from the 1st minute of the game.
A lot of close coaching decisions in this game including Geno coming out in second half man to man defense after UConn killed ND with Zone in 2nd Quarter. Last quarter and in OT, UConn never seemed to understand how to attack ND's defense. Bottom line, ND had one more great play than UConn and appeared better rested at end of game.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame was just the more physical and more aggressive team tonight. The SC game showed that UConn could be scored on in the paint and ND was able to do that.

I expect Azura to return next season but the lack of a physical presence in the lane will still be a problem.

Maybe there's a bulky post player who can transfer in and gain immediate eligibility.

Am I right that Lou took 2 shots in the 2nd half (not counting the prayer at the end)? That was a problem. Having a guard who can take the ball to the basket and get fouled would be nice.[/QUOTE Transfer? My vote is for another point guard. Would have loved to see one in 4th quarter last night when UConn didn't appear to know how to attack ND's defense. Kia and Lou especially appeared gassed - don't blame them for playing entire game so even with frosh next year, would love to have a 10-12 minute a game guard who plays defense and passes well.

Reaction Score
I'll second guess Jeff Walz for allowing Miss St take that last second 3.
Can someone, anyone, explain t me why coaches are reluctant to foul when the other team has the ball at the end, and is down 3? 2 free throws, and you get the ball back.

Reaction Score
I have to say I was disappointed in Samuelson down the stretch. Yes, she was in foul trouble so she was limited on defense but as one of the best players in the country and the best offensive player on our team she disappeared in key moments. And if you can’t defend wel with four fouls, then you have to make your impact on the offensive end otherwise you’re basically a liability for the team. ND played great perimeter defense, but KLS was not looking for her shot at all—when she got the ball she looked to immediately pass it. One of the key developments for her this year has been her ability to penetrate defenses better and score inside to make her more versatile and difficult to guard, but I saw little if any of that tonight.

It’s natural to blame bad calls, but they went both ways and UConn simply was not aggressive enough. From a coaching standpoint, I disagree with leaving Stevens on the bench to start the second half and some defensive choices in the second half, but you have to hand it to ND for the tenacious way they played. Their aggressive drives to the basket and throwing up shots while getting fouled gave me nausea-inducing PTSD from similar drives years ago by players like Natalie Novosel. When ND got to the free throw line every other possession and made almost all their shots, it’s hard to consistently have to score make up for that 2 point deficit every possession. We had key chances down the stretch, but this team honestly never consistently played with the hunger that I expected them to given last year’s ending.

I do expect our team next year to be in the mix with improved play from KLS, Stevens, and Dangerfield (and hopefully Walker as well, but to be honest our weak conference does not build our mental toughness the way it has in years past and there are several teams on the rise. I expect Geno and the team to respond in kind. Until next year...hats off to Gabby and Kia for a truly fantastic four years—they are great women and incredible players who played with class and humility. I wish it had ended different for them, but no one can take away their two titles and the plethora of accomplishments they racked up over the years.

Reaction Score
Agree. If anyone choked it would be Geno. But choke is not the right word. Aggressiveness is the word. ND was more aggressive and took the game to UConn. I mention Geno because, like last year, he did not press the opposing team, in order to speed up the game. Not once if I remember. Even so, ND scored 91 points! If you can score against UConn, either because you play lights out on offense with career games from unexpected players, or, UConn plays without intensity on defense, UConn is in trouble. Geno will also be second guessed on keeping AZ on the bench longer than needed in the 3rd quarter. Oh well. ND deserved the win. They wanted it more and you can sense that from the 1st minute of the game.
Geno lost that game, the 1st quarter with his starting lineup, they didn't play well. The 2nd quarter, when he finally went with the big lineup, they played good defense, and had Notre Dame on the ropes. The 2nd half Geno should have started the big lineup, and sat Crystal. He let them get back in the game, Crystal is a good player, but will never be a great defender.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
On drives to the basket UCONN got called for fouls when ND drove UCONN got called. UCONN made 5 more baskets, 15 less throws. After 2nd quarter starting Crystal in 3rd quarter or went too long with her. Unfortunately she is not the defender needed

Reaction Score
UConn vs. ND in semifinal means potential for refs to impact the game with less scrutiny. Anyone that doesn't think this game was impacted by how it was called is clueless. We don't play bad against ND because they play magical defense. We play bad because ND is allowed to hack and it prevents our superior players from utilizing their skill and athletic advantages. And then they get rattled. You can say that is their fault but pretty much anyone would get rattled when being hacked constantly. They ALWAYS become afraid to drive when the game is called like this.
Stop the whining and deal with the refs and adjust! That's team sports!
First of all, I apologize for too getting carried away and expecting and predicting another NC. Clearly I was wrong. I also want to apologize for the length of this post. If you can bear with me, maybe it will help a bit. At least it helps me try and put this hurt and disappointment together. We are all upset about the game and the outcome but there needs to be a detailed analysis of what happened.
What I'm struck by, is this game followed almost the same script as last years loss to MS. So what does or should that tell Geno, CD and other coaches, and each player.
They started disjointed and ND went out to a good lead. They were up by 11 before the half and 7 at the half. Should have been able or time to step on the gas and put ND away. Let them back in pretty quickly. Made two amazing comebacks to tie in regulation and in overtime and lost on a last second shot.
Firstly as much as I treasure Geno and CD, now that's it's happened twice, it indicates some serious issues with their adjustments and partially their system. Some of you are going to say, what do you know they've won 11 NC's. Yes they have for darn sure but now with the players and team they have they've gotten the same outcome from two different teams with two excellent coaches. So I'd say some have caught up and figured out how to play U Conn, get ahead, fight thru their runs(which they did have again) and keep it close to the end and then boom!
I'm not even sure where to start but I will throw some things out there.
They come back from a 2nd period where they not only catch up but go ahead and the game could be at a turning point. Geno (obviously a creature of habits too) starts the usual starting five. To that point CD did very little or nothing. AZ's presence and play turned things around so why not start with that five and leave CD on the bench. Pretty quickly ND caught up! As in the MS game we were down by two possessions and miraculously catch up, but never able to take the lead, hold it or grow it. We start the game, the half and the overtime all very slowly. I thought we were supposed to always be the better conditioned team?
Another major point that strikes me and I've commented on is while the offensive system demonstrates amazing ball movement, passing and usually great opportunities for better shots, it has its limitations against strong, well disciplined defensive teams that are very well coached and prepared. Again in those instances we had no one ready, able and willing to take hold or control of the ball and the game. Yes my favorite player KLS got her fourth foul and had to be careful defensively so she really couldn't guard anyone. She also became even more tentative than she usually does at times offensively I'm sure afraid of an offensive foul. She has improved enormously since arriving at U Conn, but it seems her work and the coaches and the team is to slightly alter or modify their offensive system so she or someone has the ball and actually penetrates to make things happen. I think this is both the system, therefore Geno and the coaches, and specifically KLS's problem. Almost the whole fourth quarter and the overtime she didn't touch the ball other than passing it around the periphery. Selflessness and non aggressiveness I believe are somewhat on her.
Last year we didn't have a true point guard and thus year we did, although CD had an off game shooting wise and also getting the offense in gear. AZ is the major person to keep us in the game and yet she didn't get the ball down low as many times as was possible.
We have now clearly demonstrated that even with two great, amazing seniors, consecutive NPOY, their will and ability to win in a tough, tight game doesn't translate to winning those games.
Here's an interesting stat almost all of you know. Geni and CD have never lost in 11 tries a NC game. On the other hand he is now I believe 0-5 in overtime games in the FF's, which then obviously is in the semi-finals.
So what does or should this teach him, CD and the other coaches, about their preparation, conditioning and their offensive system. The preparation I believe they can't do much more about as they play the best competition throughout their season. At least these last two years, it leaves and left them unprepared for this type of tough, tight, close game. I know very little about conditioning both personally and at this level of play but I tend to think that's a minor part of it. So that leaves a whole lot of thought and analyses and hopefully subsequent and significant adjustments to their system at these times. They figured out how to play with CD starting and then how to play with AZ in as a quality mobile big. Two very different styles of play. They need to figure out how to play differently in end of games situations, without very much experience as that rarely happens in the regular season. Also the FF is a whole other animal, as to pressure and the knowledge that if you lose you're done.
I think some of this points to the system and a good deal to the emotional / psychological aspects of the game. Yes, when they've had DT, Maya and Stewie, those three took hold and either didn't allow them to first fall behind, and when they got ahead to put it away or to take over in tight spots and games. Does this mean we now can only win if we have another, which sure doesn't come very easily or maybe not again.
I think they have to help that blooming star use their ability and their mindset to reach for those stars, literally and figuratively. Right now that would appear to be KLS, but that may not be within her.
Maybe down the road a CW or Ono or one of the recruits talked about here all the time, can become that!
There's also an ongoing and regular criticism of Geno in his use of his younger players. I've repeatedly supported his constant, relentless striving for excellent particularly in practice, in order to even get to play. Obviously MW never got off the bench as also obviously Geno didn't trust her in big moments. Maybe this needs also to be tweaked a bit. Maybe this also leads to some analysis of how and whom they recruit. They are almost always in the mix for the top HS players, and often have gotten the national HS player of the year. I remain amazed by the young women they recruit and then help develop both basketball wise as well as personally. I'm not sure but maybe there's an element or quality that needs to be found that not only leads to the team concept and the sharing that requires and also the type of person who has that strength of will to take it to the next level and help ensure victory. That person may well not be on this team. KLS who I still very much respect and adore her game and attitude or MW who has miles to go to even reach KLS level, may just not have it.
Gabby has been and is amazing in so
many ways but she couldn't do it. Kia as well! So somehow it's more than what these two wonderful players and women are to win NC.
My last point is one doesn't always have to win the final game or NC to be successful and great human beings and that in and of itself, are enormous accomplishments as has been these last two seasons. SAVOR what we have done, l learned years ago in my own therapy that if you don't then what is there - just another game, win or obstacle to overcome. Then it truly doesn't matter if you can't get real joy from your accomplishments. I believe this maybe part of what wears on Geno, CD and the other coaches and the players as well. Then see if anything can be improved to go one or two steps further. This is critical not only to winning NC but in life.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I have to say I was disappointed in Samuelson down the stretch. Yes, she was in foul trouble so she was limited on defense but as one of the best players in the country and the best offensive player on our team she disappeared in key moments. And if you can’t defend wel with four fouls, then you have to make your impact on the offensive end otherwise you’re basically a liability for the team. ND played great perimeter defense, but KLS was not looking for her shot at all—when she got the ball she looked to immediately pass it. One of the key developments for her this year has been her ability to penetrate defenses better and score inside to make her more versatile and difficult to guard, but I saw little if any of that tonight.

It’s natural to blame bad calls, but they went both ways and UConn simply was not aggressive enough. From a coaching standpoint, I disagree with leaving Stevens on the bench to start the second half and some defensive choices in the second half, but you have to hand it to ND for the tenacious way they played. Their aggressive drives to the basket and throwing up shots while getting fouled gave me nausea-inducing PTSD from similar drives years ago by players like Natalie Novosel. When ND got to the free throw line every other possession and made almost all their shots, it’s hard to consistently have to score make up for that 2 point deficit every possession. We had key chances down the stretch, but this team honestly never consistently played with the hunger that I expected them to given last year’s ending.

I do expect our team next year to be in the mix with improved play from KLS, Stevens, and Dangerfield (and hopefully Walker as well, but to be honest our weak conference does not build our mental toughness the way it has in years past and there are several teams on the rise. I expect Geno and the team to respond in kind. Until next year...hats off to Gabby and Kia for a truly fantastic four years—they are great women and incredible players who played with class and humility. I wish it had ended different for them, but no one can take away their two titles and the plethora of accomplishments they racked up over the years.
I love your thoughts and analysis. I stated much of the same before reading yours which was way more concise!
Thanks!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I would almost...............ALMOST bet a monthly pension check, that ND wins tomorrow. Watched some of Miss. St. Was NOT impressed by the team. The Ville should have had them beaten. Big girl in middle of MSST. is not really that good. Big? yes, but was not impressed. I fully expect ND to run her ragged. As to other comments, my take is, we've really got to get out of that low budget AAC conference. Winning games, continually by 40-50 points doesn't teach you how to play tough games. Last night it really showed. As to the officiating, please, enogh with the sour grapes.

Reaction Score
I love your thoughts and analysis. I stated much of the same before reading yours which was way more concise!
Thanks!
Bronx23
I think Geno has to change his philosophy of not playing Freshman & giving them meaningful minutes (not garbage time). I dont care if we lose 3 4 or 5 games as a result. Its better to see if freshman can contribute & it takes pressure off the starters. It also forces everyone to learn how to "adjust" in a game, which clearly hasnt been learned in the past 2 FF games. I have no idea if MW can play because she wasnt given a fair chance this past year. Maybe should could have helped out last night.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the one thing UConn has lacked for the past few years is a player who can consistently get her own shot one on one from the outside in like Ogunbawle...in most instances that doesn't matter with UConn's great motion offense but there are times when that specific skill is called for.....next year UConn will have such a weapon in Christyn Williams..let's hope she gets her chance in the semi-finals next year..
I say that about KLS when they wanna compare her to Stewie. Stewie had the whole package

Reaction Score
I say that about KLS when they wanna compare her to Stewie. Stewie had the whole package

ironically do you know one of the few UConn players that really can get her own shot in isolation time? ................Megan Walker..............I know it would have been too risky to put her out on the floor at the end of the game but perhaps if she had played more during the season that would have prepared her for such a moment......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom