Damn. Let the 2nd guessing begin | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Damn. Let the 2nd guessing begin

Reaction Score
maybe just maybe Notre Dame had something to do with how UConn played?

Charliebball- - -the 5 things I named above had little to do with ND!
1. ND didn't convince Geno to start Crystal Dangerfield over Azura in the 3rd period
2. Our G's weren't as aggressive as usual, driving to the hoop for layups or dishing out for 3's. UCONN was content staying outside and shooting long 2's & 3's that didn't fall! Thereby not drawing fouls where they only went to the line 6 times to ND's 20+
3. We started the game as flat as a board, no spirit, no fire, ND didn't cause that, and UCONN got down early because of it
4. Because we played without emotion we didn't switch on defense as quickly as we usually do
5. The players threw lazy/slow passes and they are famous for their crisp and direct passes that beats the defensive movement
These 5 are UCONN traits that usually start UCONN off on a roll that the opponent usually doesn't recover from

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Charliebball- - -the 5 things I named above had little to do with ND!
1. ND didn't convince Geno to start Crystal Dangerfield over Azura in the 3rd period
2. Our G's weren't as aggressive as usual, driving to the hoop for layups or dishing out for 3's. UCONN was content staying outside and shooting long 2's & 3's that didn't fall! Thereby not drawing fouls where they only went to the line 6 times to ND's 20+
3. We started the game as flat as a board, no spirit, no fire, ND didn't cause that, and UCONN got down early because of it
4. Because we played without emotion we didn't switch on defense as quickly as we usually do
5. The players threw lazy/slow passes and they are famous for their crisp and direct passes that beats the defensive movement
These 5 are UCONN traits that usually start UCONN off on a roll that the opponent usually doesn't recover from

well #2 sure had something to do with ND........they defended UConn with gusto forcing them to pass well outside of their normal area and for the most part prevented Gabby and others from slashing to the basket limiting defensive fouls............when something works for UConn in every game this season and then it doesn't there's got to be a reason more then just choking...........gotta give credit where credit is due

Reaction Score
I guess KLS has another year to be Stewie-ish
As one of KLS's biggest fans, I now doubt she will ever be Stewie-ish. I do think she will go home this summer and bust her butt again and make another big leap in aspects of her game.
The reason I am now skeptical about her reaching or even being close to the Big Three, is her emotional makeup and this is not a criticism of it as she is truly a remarkable young woman. She plays hard all the time; plays hurt; is an amazing teammate even at her most difficult moments; she's constantly working to improve and has done so a huge amount; she's so well spoken any time she's asked a question or at a presser. So what am I alluding to? It's that will / drive to when necessary take over the game / control the ball and make things happen whether it be a shot, a pass, a rebound, a steal. It means not relying on their offensive system throughout or regardless of what's happening. She tends to remain within the system and at times gets lost,
Yes she had four fouls which clearly limited her abilities defensively. But when it makes her so tentative offensively as well, she isn't bringing much to the table. The type of player I'm hoping she can be, remains aggressive offensively. If they get a charge call against them and foul out, so be it. Yes they need her presence offensively on the floor which is why she plays almost every minute and is the last one subbed for. But her play after her fourth foul did not help the team at all.
Again she's a superb player, person and teammate. I'd be proud to be her parents, sibling, coach. If she desires to improve in the manner I am talking about it is a mindset and an emotional / psychological adjustment that's probably harder than any of the enormous physical work she already has and I am confident she will continue to put in. This is not even necessarily the right or even the best thing for her. It only is if she wants to be an all time U Conn and maybe even wbb
great. She has yet to be able to play in a national championship game and only has one year left. She or someone needs to be or become that person, or we may not win another championship until one appears.
Bronx23

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fouls calls drove me crazy! 23 shots for ND to 6 for UCONN...

I HATE HATE HATE making excuses for a loss. I think this FT difference is a huge difference but so are all the bad/rushed shots we took, turnovers, and the lack of putting teams away with a lead (like the old UCONN teams). This team lacks that killer instinct to say....NO not getting back in this game.

We lost. I am proud of these young women. UCONN is still the #1 team and program in the nation. We will always be the team to beat for years to come thanks to Geno and his wonderful coaches who go out and recruit amazing talented young women.

GO UCONN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
when the number one player high school player in the country can barely see the floor that's worth talking about..Geno treated her like a puppet on a string.....the minute she made a mistake she was pulled with no idea when she would get back in a game...from my perspective it led to an up and down season for a player that could have been so much more helpful to the team in a game like last night......I'm sure I could find many freshmen that played in meaningful games for their teams who learned a lot and are ready to go next season.....if I were Walker I simply wouldn't know what to think about the future at UConn......
Yes MW would have played and accomplished a lot more at most other schools. But this is not some other school, it's U Conn and it's not some other coach, it's Geno.
What drives me nuts here is everyone loves and wants the excellence, the culture, everything that thirty plus years of success brings but then they want Geno, CD and the other coaches to essentially pamper or make special rules and exceptions for certain players. You either get one or you get the other. It is or should be damn clear that you follow the rules, expectations, efforts or you don't play. If you can't then this isn't the place for you to thrive.
Yes, anyone can be critiqued and criticized, and should be but this issue which I hear over and over and over again about MW and occasional other players, just doesn't make sense.
Geno I feel got out coached in both the last two semifinals and actually may well have cost his team the game. Especially regarding staying so long with CD and the smaller lineup when it was as clear as day, that AZ and the zone was what brought them back into the game and then an 11 point lead which became 7 at half time. He also doesn't seem to have his teams well prepared for overtime games as the record is so darn stark.
I won't now go on and on, but the MW talk (which I'm sure won't stop) and how he hampered her development is not anywhere near the major problem.
Again, this was a great team and season and for the second year in a row they lost to a team almost everyone thought they should beat. Some of course is in the players but the head of the ship , sure gets much of the credit and then deserved much of the blame. And yes, ND deserves a huge amount of credit for there following MM's game plan and even after losing two five point leads in regulation and in overtime still did what they needed to do. The credit for that goes to MM and the players.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Many astute observations here, none the least of which is the evaluation of KLS’ performance.

Care to elaborate? KLS seems to be the media darling and fan favorite, and she’s a killer shooter don’t get me wrong, but I made a point that she disappeared down the stretch in key moments and wasn’t looking for her shot as the team’s best offensive player and one of the best in the country. I’m not sure what wasn’t astute or inaccurate about that observation but your rebuttal leaves something to desire, i.e. an actual argument.

Reaction Score
Care to elaborate? KLS seems to be the media darling and fan favorite, and she’s a killer shooter don’t get me wrong, but I made a point that she disappeared down the stretch in key moments and wasn’t looking for her shot as the team’s best offensive player and one of the best in the country. I’m not sure what wasn’t astute or inaccurate about that observation but your rebuttal leaves something to desire, i.e. an actual argument.

Perhaps you misunderstood. I agreed with your comments, labeling them "astute". Happy Easter.

Reaction Score
Perhaps you misunderstood. I agreed with your comments, labeling them "astute". Happy Easter.
Whoops I completely misread that thanks for the compliments. Happy Easter to you too!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom