Cuse Waiting in the next round

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Anyone got a hankering for some...

1616394390964.png
Always a sweet treat!

Reaction Score
As the resident UCONN fan who lives in Syracuse and has a restaurant here....
Okay, now I’m really pissed at Coach Q for not be willing to schedule a game for Stewie’s homecoming. I’m sure you would have had a special game day menu for your BY friends. I hope we give him another thrashing.

Reaction Score
Syracuse and the ACC are strange. The ACC is touted as such a great conference, but Syracuse is the #4 team, but was just 14-8 with a 9W- 7L record in the conference. They are a big team, with four of their top six players going 6'7", 6'2", 6'2", and 6'1". They have four seniors among their top six players.

But no one has ever accused Coach Q of being a great bench coach. And let's not forget the bad blood between these two teams. Remember when Maya was so incensed at the trash talk from Syracuse players? She was aghast at all the garbage talk and told Coach Geno. Coach Geno responded, "So what do you want to do?" Maya said, "I want to beat them by 40." So Coach Geno kept Maya out there until they beat Syracuse by 40.

Not a lot of class on that side. We should win, though not in a blowout. They stayed very close to Louisville. And it should be a strong test of our new, determined, post-Arkansas team and their ability to handle a big front line.

Reaction Score
They have depth up front so they are fine if Cardoso goes to the bench. And they play zone. I thought it was pretty porous - the FT line was wide open all the time and quick passing always got people open. They depend on their length being able to bother shots, but if we pass well we should get clean looks.

Having Muhl available and letting Paige find seams in the zone off the ball where she can make passes would be ideal. But it will be a game where we need to make shots. Evina could also be a good passer from the middle of the zone.
Yes the middle of the zone is a key. There have been some games earlier in the year when we settled for threes after passing the ball around the perimeter. Of the choices, I would rather see us penetrate to the middle of the zone off the dribble with Paige or Evina, both of which can pull up for the mid-range jumper, or pass back out to the perimeter. I prefer that to passing into the middle of the zone to a big who is not as good a passer or shooter from that spot.

Reaction Score
Against the South Dakota State Jackrabbits today, who did not appear to me to be playing distinguished defense, Syracuse shot 36.8%, although they did shoot 38% from the arc. However, 31 of their 68 shots were 3-pointers, which seems excessive. If they try to shoot that many against UConn, they are going to shoot some bad ones because of the extended defense that UConn is now playing.

I also would note Cardoso's stat line against a team without any height to contend with her in the paint. She played 23 minutes (conditioning? --she only had 2 fouls), scored 12 points on 4-for-9 shooting and 4-for-6 from the free throw line, and had only 3 rebounds! She did block 6 shots, which is what she should be doing against a team like the Jackrabbits.

I certainly hope that Liv and Aaliyah will each have more of an impact than that on Tuesday. I would not expect Cardoso to have better stats against UConn than she had against today's opponent.
You bring up a key point. Cuse tends to ignore their bigs on offense and shoot low % threes. Not only does this play into UConn's defensive schemes, but helps keep our bigs out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Syracuse and the ACC are strange. The ACC is touted as such a great conference, but Syracuse is the #4 team, but was just 14-8 with a 9W- 7L record in the conference. They are a big team, with four of their top six players going 6'7", 6'2", 6'2", and 6'1". They have four seniors among their top six players.

But no one has ever accused Coach Q of being a great bench coach. And let's not forget the bad blood between these two teams. Remember when Maya was so incensed at the trash talk from Syracuse players? She was aghast at all the garbage talk and told Coach Geno. Coach Geno responded, "So what do you want to do?" Maya said, "I want to beat them by 40." So Coach Geno kept Maya out there until they beat Syracuse by 40.

Not a lot of class on that side. We should win, though not in a blowout. They stayed very close to Louisville. And it should be a strong test of our new, determined, post-Arkansas team and their ability to handle a big front line.
Hope I don't have to eat my words, but while normally conservative in my projections, I have less concern about Cuse's than some. Few teams have two bigs like ONO and especially Edwards that play physical defense, rebound, and run the court. Every team can get hot from the outside, but there is no guard on Cuse that normally can take over. Unless there are foul issues, predict Cuse will abandon their bigs and host up 3's - not their strength.

Reaction Score
With Westbrook at the PG position we’ll win easily. I was very impressed how she handled being the PG last night. Very under control and aggressive.

Reaction Score
I've seen Syracuse play a bunch of games this season. UConn should beat them, and might beat them easily, but Cardoso is the real deal inside, Engstler does a little of everything and you've gotta love Mangakahia. I think UConn wins with their defense.
Cardoso averages 13 pts and 8 rebs a game 2.3 blks, good numbers but nothing that should scare anyone. Besides that she is a low motor type player who has trouble going up and down the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ACC is touted as such a great conference,
Dont think anyone claimed that this year. The ND falloff has been a significant hit, and Cuse, Miami, UNC, Duke, FSU are all down from recent years.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'm still torQued that Q denied Stewie a homecoming day at home. I agree with Maya, 40 points or bust!

Reaction Score
BTW, our last bad loss was that 1996 loss to Syracuse. Since then we have not lost to any teams that were not in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Really don't like these late games. I think we'll win, but won't be surprised if we come out slow. I hope the final four games happen at an earlier hour this year.

Reaction Score
Interesting take..

I'd would expect this from a player at Syracuse. Can't blame her for having that type of mindset. Sometimes players and teams let the mystique of a program get into their head and it works as a 6th player against them.

If they feel they can compete, then let's see what happens tomorrow. I have confidence in UConn regardless.

Reaction Score
I'd would expect this from a player at Syracuse. Can't blame her for having that type of mindset. Sometimes players and teams let the mystique of a program get into their head and it works as a 6th player against them.

If they feel they can compete, then let's see what happens tomorrow. I have confidence in UConn regardless.
Yes agreed. I also find it interesting they haven’t seen tape on UConn/PB..like you truly have to be disconnected. PB highlights are everywhere you look, she’s practically on espn everyday. Don’t believe that for a minute.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom