Current Talent and Incoming Talent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Current Talent and Incoming Talent

Reaction Score
What is frustrating is that we have seen new coaches take on major programs and make an immediate impact in year 1. Washington, Ohio State, Auburn, Tennessee, etc. That is not happening here.

However, I do not give Ollie any credit for his success with Calhoun's guys and I'm for sure not blaming Hurley for failures with Ollie's guys.

Overall - This stinks.
Look at the rosters of those teams, and look at the recruiting in the years before the coach was fired.

Then look at ours.

It's not apples to apples.

Reaction Score
Look at the rosters of those teams, and look at the recruiting in the years before the coach was fired.

Then look at ours.

It's not apples to apples.

I'd look and see names. What is your point?

Reaction Score
'More with less' needs to be gassed and torched. 2014 aside, every championship team needs NBA talent. Us included. We gotta clean house and let Hurley do the URI thing with a higher ceiling.

Reaction Score
What is frustrating is that we have seen new coaches take on major programs and make an immediate impact in year 1. Washington, Ohio State, Auburn, Tennessee, etc. That is not happening here.

However, I do not give Ollie any credit for his success with Calhoun's guys and I'm for sure not blaming Hurley for failures with Ollie's guys.

Overall - This stinks.
Didn't really happen at those schools either. Only school where an immediate impact was made was Ohio State and that's because Keita Bates-Diop made the jump that we were all hoping Jalen would.

Washington was mediocre - 21-13 with an NIT berth.

Auburn went 15-20, 11-20, 18-14 in Pearl's first three years and has been 37-10 over last two years.

Tennessee went 15-19, 16-16 in Barnes's first two years and has also been 37-10 over the last two years.

Reaction Score
This is a myth. All best teams were stocked with Top 50 talent.

Not Duke/UNC/UK/KU, I grant, but we and can be a powerhouse again.

Other than Okafor (who was still Top-100, mind you), the best 2-3 players on every team were sought after by everyone. If they were "overlooked," it was like Ray and Ben in barely missing the McDs game, not in having little fanfare.

Maybe a bit of both - we had a run of single digit team recruiting years but normally landed in the 15-35 range. In addition to those above, Louisville, Arizona, Texas, Mich St, Syracuse, etc were consistently ahead of us. Okafor was high 90's - as was Kemba and Shabazz. Yet, we're the one with 4 championships - because they stayed and developed for 3+ years.

Reaction Score
Didn't really happen at those schools either. Only school where an immediate impact was made was Ohio State and that's because Keita Bates-Diop made the jump that we were all hoping Jalen would.

Auburn went 15-20, 11-20, 18-14 in Pearl's first three years and has been 37-10 over last two years.

Tennessee went 15-19, 16-16 in Barnes's first two years and has also been 37-10 over the last two years.

Really good to know that an average college bball fan (me) forgets the poor years and only remembers the good years. Hopefully by the time we are good the world will just assume the bad years never happened.

Reaction Score
Was it one year impact at URI? But but when Hurley left they were ranked which is what we want. Give him 2 years to rebuild. I was going to say reload but that’s not what we want, don’t want repeats of past few years

Reaction Score
UConn is currently right behind Memphis as #2 in the 2019 class rankings for the conference.

#17 Nationally....not too shabby. The cream of the AAC.

Reaction Score
What the Huskies do not appear to yet have...is one of those game changers that only rarely hit most programs.

Reaction Score

Bobby Hurley @ Arizona St too

Reaction Score
Maybe a bit of both - we had a run of single digit team recruiting years but normally landed in the 15-35 range. In addition to those above, Louisville, Arizona, Texas, Mich St, Syracuse, etc were consistently ahead of us. Okafor was high 90's - as was Kemba and Shabazz. Yet, we're the one with 4 championships - because they stayed and developed for 3+ years.

Kemba was a McD's All-American in 08. He was ranked 14th overall.

Reaction Score
Last year's bad team is this year's bad roster plus a rusty Gilbert. Pick your JC, neither could win with this front court.

But what is astounding is that for the third year in a row a loss to UConn will be viewed as a bad loss. Maybe very bad.

I will go to and watch the games. I am now firmly in the IRS camp. It's Recruiting Stupid. If Tom Moore wasn't on the bench for 1/2 of the remaining games because he is scouting highly non committed top 100 kids, top 10 Jucos and grad transfers i would be just fine.

Ethically turn the roster over. Much of next year's returning group is not UConn worthy.

Be honest. Be ruthless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kemba was a McD's All-American in 08. He was ranked 14th overall.
Shabazz was also pretty highly regarded, and then reclassified.

Again, this idea that we were the little guys is a myth. Through the 90s we always had better recruiting classes than Louisville, Texas, Michigan State.

Reaction Score
Last year's bad team is this year's bad roster plus a rusty Gilbert. Pick your JC, neither could win with this front court.

But what is astounding is that for the third year in a row a loss to UConn will be viewed as a bad loss. Maybe very bad.

I will go to and watch the games. I am now firmly in the IRS camp. It's Recruiting Stupid. If Tom Moore wasn't on the bench for 1/2 of the remaining games because he is scouting highly non committed top 100 kids, top 10 Jucos and grad transfers i would be just fine.

Ethically turn the roster over. Much of next year's returning group in not UConn worthy.

Be honest. Be ruthless.
And a very raw Sid Wilson and a raw Brendan Adams.

Gilbert and Sid will be better players next year. Them along with next year's recruits are the foundation of this team going forward.

Reaction Score
It's pretty hard to find bigs that are ready to contribute from day one. There's just not that many impact bigs.

Reaction Score
the last few years, beating Uconn hasnt meant anything, not a signature win, not a major conference victory, nothing. Sad.

Reaction Score
B Adams will be a very good player at UCONN contrary to what U says-he deserves to have significant time right now from what I have observed. Love his game and attitude. Guards playing ahead of him he's better than all of them.

Reaction Score

Overall - This stinks.
That’s where I’m at. It’s way to early to judge Hurley on results imo. He’s done wasay more good so far than bad. He knows what he’s doing

Reaction Score
To be clear, I'm neither pro Hurley or Ollie, I just think this fan base deserves a respectable product that doesn't tarnish it's reputation, of what's left that is. Occasional NCAA tournament misses can be dealt with, but it would appear we're further away from MAKING an NCAA tournament again than we care to admit as a fan base.

Obviously Hurley deserves a couple years beyond this year to prove he can assemble a respectable UConn team, but I don't think it's next year like a lot of you think.

For starters, what was the purpose of wasting a 4 yr scholarship on B Adams? I get that he's a freshman, but if the consensus is that we need to infuse the roster with "UConn level talent" I don't think B Adams was a good way to kick off the Hurley regime. What does he do well?

Bouknight, Gaffney, and Akok are obviously a great start to rebuilding this program, but not one of these guys is physically ready to play in a high-level D1 game. All 3 essentially have the build of Sid, which will continue the trend of rolling out boys vs. men. The nice thing is all 3 can shoot, which will add a missing dimension next year, but I'm anticipating similar rebounding struggles that will carry into next year, until we gain commitmentS for big men in next year's class.

Strength and shooting need to be the priority in our talent evaluations moving forward. Both of which should be pretty easy to identify.

Adams is here because to build continuity and balance the roster some through classes, Hurley thought having one true freshman come in with the class was important and this was the best we could do on short notice. I'm not sold on him either, but to be worried about this when we have a minimum of 5 open scholarships after this season anyway is really focusing on the trivial.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom