CT's own Brian Dennehy RIP | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CT's own Brian Dennehy RIP

Reaction Score
i knew he was a famous alum of my high school but I didn't know his family moved to Long Island specifically so he could attend Chaminade.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Art Carney (Ed Norton from The Honeymooners) used to live in Westbrook. Met him walking his dogs on the beach when I was a kid.
I was going to mention him this morning but I wasn’t sure if he qualified as “from” CT because he grew up in Mt. Vernon. I used to see him around town when we used to live in Westbrook.

Reaction Score
I met Brian Dennehy at his home in Woodstock about 20 years ago. I was a couple of years out of college and had a meeting with him. I was unaware who I was meeting with because his name wasn't used in scheduling the appointment. I quickly recognized him and as he gave me that special grin he had, I was immediately intimidated. He was a big guy and he was chopping wood when I arrived. He seemed like a real man's man type. Turned out he was a nice dude, very down to earth and normal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I know the kids today won't remember Totie Fields but she was a huge (literally and figuratively) female comedian back in the 60's. Kinda like Lisa Lampanelli before she lost weight, except funnier. Bigger than Joan Rivers, headlined in Vegas and died way too young.

I remember seeing her on Merv Griffin once and Merv asked her "So you're from West Hartford Connecticut?"
That raised her hackles! She said, "NO! I'm from Hartford! West Hartford is where the rich Jews live!"

Reaction Score
I know the kids today won't remember Totie Fields but she was a huge (literally and figuratively) female comedian back in the 60's. Kinda like Lisa Lampanelli before she lost weight, except funnier. Bigger than Joan Rivers, headlined in Vegas and died way too young.

I remember seeing her on Merv Griffin once and Merv asked her "So you're from West Hartford Connecticut?"
That raised her hackles! She said, "NO! I'm from Hartford! West Hartford is where the rich Jews live!"
I remember her as my mother was a big fan. We used to watch Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas as kids.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Yes, on the north side of West Hartford, I grew up among families where many of the adults had grown up in the north end of Hartford. Two houses away, my friend's dad had been Totie's Weaver High boyfriend, and would occasionally get mentioned in her act.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes, on the north side of West Hartford, I grew up among families where many of the adults had grown up in the north end of Hartford. Two houses away, my friend's dad had been Totie's Weaver High boyfriend, and would occasionally get mentioned in her act.
Is he in this bit?

Reaction Score
Willie Pep and Lindy Remigino, Both from Hartford I think.
Johnny Egan was definitely from Hartford. Went to Weaver.
Lindy was not born in CT but coached at Hartford Public. My father used to talk about Egan all the time as my father graduated from Weaver. Bob Nash was from Hartford Public as well and played basketball for Hawaii.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Willie Pep and Lindy Remigino, Both from Hartford I think.
Johnny Egan was definitely from Hartford. Went to Weaver.
Egan’s family lived a few blocks up my street. Two other grads from my school a few decades ahead of me were Norman Lear and comedian/actor Louie Nye. From a very old era of show business and a true giant of the time, singer Sophie Tucker a/k/a the Last of the Red Hot Mamas (more for singing style than looks).

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Is he in this bit?

My hs senior prom date’s mother was a good friend of Totie. I never met her. But the first time I ever saw her and heard of her was on the Ed Sullivan show when she cracked me up by doing her routine about my hs and waving around a Weaver pennant.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Lindy was not born in CT but coached at Hartford Public. My father used to talk about Egan all the time as my father graduated from Weaver. Bob Nash was from Hartford Public as well and played basketball for Hawaii.
A bunch of Hartford athletes including Ricky Mahon and Marcus Camby. Probably others I’m forgetting. Not from Hartford but a UConn guy not that famous anymore was Walt Dropo, the Moosup Moose and AL Rookie of the Year.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Leaving out some sports greats. Calvin Murphy, Steve Young, Superjohn Williamson, Kaitlin(sp?) Bruce Jenner. Craig Janney, Dorothy Hammill.

Of course not a CT native, but why not claim Mark Twain? Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Who is Bruce Jenner?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom