OT: - CT Traffic | The Boneyard

OT: CT Traffic

Reaction Score
Just finished my fourth week of spring coaching so my school day ends at 4 PM, four-days-a-week.

Over the last two weeks, my normal end-of-day 18 minute commute from Greenwich to Norwalk has ballooned to 40-50 minutes on the Merritt.

Luckily, there's a beautiful 40 minute drive on backroads I can take when the Merritt is bad, but I thought this traffic would dissipate in a post-Covid world where more people work from home, etc. Ex-NYC families moving to the 'burbs?

Any insight on this?

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Just finished my fourth week of spring coaching so my school day ends at 4 PM, four-days-a-week.

Over the last two weeks, my normal end-of-day 18 minute commute from Greenwich to Norwalk has ballooned to 40-50 minutes on the Merritt.

Luckily, there's a beautiful 40 minute drive on backroads I can take when the Merritt is bad, but I thought this traffic would dissipate in a post-Covid world where more people work from home, etc. Ex-NYC families moving to the 'burbs?

Any insight on this?
Employers/offices are opening back up and people are going out more. Traffic will get worse before it gets better. Commuting in lower Fairfield County is torture during normal times. I drove it for a few years but then opted for Metro North.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Any insight on this?
People aren’t riding the trains yet because they are working a more ad hoc manner at office jobs. Yeah, probably going to just getting worse- like old times.

Reaction Score
I take 95 to exit 9 in Stamford and it’s easy backroads to Norwalk

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Any insight on this?
I live in LA and the traffic is definitely back to pre COVID times.

What I found fascinating was that there were more traffic fatalities in 2020 than 2019. Speed on the highways is probably the biggest factor, but intuitively I would have thought it would be way down with so many less people driving around.

Reaction Score
It’s def people starting to go back to work in person. It will get worse. I work for a large company in Hartford and most of us are still remote but they have told us that there will be a gradual return likely back to somewhat normal by around Labor Day.

Reaction Score

Any insight on this?

The best part about being a teacher is getting up earlier than everyone so there's no traffic, my man!

I never see morning traffic. Unless I stick around work for 45 mins or so after work it's not so bad either except on Fridays.

Definitely creeping up to pre covid levels though

Reaction Score
The best part about being a teacher is getting up earlier than everyone so there's no traffic, my man!

I never see morning traffic. Unless I stick around work for 45 mins or so after work it's not so bad either except on Fridays.

Definitely creeping up to pre covid levels though
Pre work no problem but when 3 pm going home is getting arguably worse than ever

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've seen a noticeable uptick in overall traffic, and correspondingly poorer driving lately. When I consider my own own increased getting out & about, it's not surprising.

You bring me back to various ways I drove from North Ave to Georgetown at turn of the millennium, perhaps on a number of the same roads you take.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Connecticut traffic is bad because none of you can drive.

There are places in the world where traffic is worse, but there’s usually a reason - bad roads, crowded cities, whatever.

In Connecticut, a straight road in the middle of a beautiful day will instantly and inexplicably be completely bound up with traffic.

The problem is you. You are a bad driver. Don’t argue. It’s you.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Traffic to and from New Haven is picking up but it continues to be lighter than usual. I gather that will change in the fall when Yale is back to in-person.

Reaction Score
Traffic to and from New Haven is picking up but it continues to be lighter than usual. I gather that will change in the fall when Yale is back to in-person.
Freakin' commuter schools...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Connecticut traffic is bad because none of you can drive.

There are places in the world where traffic is worse, but there’s usually a reason - bad roads, crowded cities, whatever.

In Connecticut, a straight road in the middle of a beautiful day will instantly and inexplicably be completely bound up with traffic.

The problem is you. You are a bad driver. Don’t argue. It’s you.
Based on travel around the country I have to concur our CT drivers are bad. They have no trouble sitting in any lane doing their own thing.... blocking..

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Am I travel around the country I have to concur can I get drivers are bad. They have no trouble sitting in any Lane doing their own thing.... blocking

Texas drivers are the worst on multilane roads. They treat the right lane as the turn lane for exiting and left lane is for travelling.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
no one's using high speed rail? oh wait wrong country

I'd love to see it.

But public transportation will be losing to private vehicles for the the next few years as people go back to "normal".

Reaction Score
The medical marijuana dispensaries in Connecticut are third world. You have to be able to afford a helicopter to travel fast.

Reaction Score
I live in DC and our traffic is pretty close to pre-Covid but not quite. But I always felt that traffic was a good thing. It equates to commerce and a good economy. Best of all our medical marijuana dispensaries are very nice.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
There are many things going about CT I will defend. Our drivers ain't one. Really horrific driving in this state ironically driven by the fact that everyone thinks they are a NASCAR driver..

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
South of Boston, traffic has increased dramatically and most noticeably after kids went back to school full time in April. I’d say we’re 80-85% of normal at this point. There are a lot of people still working from home (friends in biotech/pharma, financial) but I believe mass transit is still hurting for riders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom