CT Town for long wkend | Page 4 | The Boneyard

CT Town for long wkend

Reaction Score
Only a CT native would consider that a "long drive" . . .
Ha! I'm not a CT native!

It's at least 3 hours each way. That's not a short drive for anyone except a trucker.

Reaction Score
Current drive time is 2 hours 29 minutes. That's a trip to the hardware store for many west of the Mississippi.
Yeah maybe true but I am a city person and, more importantly, so is the guy who will be doing the driving so...

But anyway, the more info the better to make an informed decision.

Reaction Score
That's a big drive for a long weekend to get up to Mystic or Hartford or Putnam(!).

I wouldn't go any farther than this area:
View attachment 35557

If it has to be CT then I'd say New Canaan, Redding, Westport/Fairfield.

I used to live in Westport - it's a cute town with a beach and good shopping and restaurants. Fairfield has come a long way too.

I also used to live in South Salem, NY which very close to Ridgefield, CT - it's a much more rural area so it's great for a fall drive. Several lakes in that area - I used to live on Truesdale Lake - and there's Pound Ridge Reservation to walk around in.

If someone is leaving nyc to get out for a weekend last place I'm recommending is anywhere on the 95 corridor from Greenwich- new haven. Why would they want to leave the city to deal with traffic and congestion in Connecticut.

Guilford-essex- mystic (and just about any of the towns on that stretch) if you want shoreline ct.

Litchfield county if you want more hilly scenic ct

Reaction Score
If someone is leaving nyc to get out for a weekend last place I'm recommending is anywhere on the 95 corridor from Greenwich- new haven. Why would they want to leave the city to deal with traffic and congestion in Connecticut.

Guilford-essex- mystic (and just about any of the towns on that stretch) if you want shoreline ct.

Litchfield county if you want more hilly scenic ct
How do you get to Guilford-essex- mystic without going through the traffic and congestion on the 95 corridor from Greenwich- new haven?

Agreed on Litchfield - and as a bonus that was my dorm at UConn!

Reaction Score
How do you get to Guilford-essex- mystic without going through the traffic and congestion on the 95 corridor from Greenwich- new haven?

Agreed on Litchfield - and as a bonus that was my dorm at UConn!

Driving through area is not the same as staying there and dealing with it daily to go out to eat or running to store etc.

There a reason I'd rather live in guilford/ madison and commute to Fairfield county/Westchester county daily for jobs than live in Westport/ Weston/ new Canaan area and it has nothing to do with costs

Reaction Score
Driving through area is not the same as staying there and dealing with it daily to go out to eat or running to store etc.

There a reason I'd rather live in guilford/ madison and commute to Fairfield county/Westchester county daily for jobs than live in Westport/ Weston/ new Canaan area and it has nothing to do with costs
Well yeah - even better is to avoid the highways between Norwalk and Stamford entirely.

Reaction Score
I took 44 to Providence last week and was pleasantly surprised how scenic it was in the area of Pomfret and Putnam. I had never really been out there. Putnam had a nice downtown with a lot of shops and restaurants.
Consider the Quiet Corner. Just enough of a drive when getting out of the City; gets you away from fellow New Yorkers (versus Litchfield, Fairfield, and nicer east of New Haven and New London county towns), Fairfield County residents, and many Bostonians; country roads for hilly and curvy drives, some decent restaurants, and an easy side trip to the Dairy Bar. Just stayed a few weeks ago in a 300 year old inn in Woodstock which was OK, yet nailed the squeaky floors requirement and was just down the road from Bigelow Hollow State Park.

Reaction Score
I flew through there on a Friday afternoon two weeks ago. The new layout appears to be working.

It won't last long. The Mixmaster (I-84/Rte 8 Interchange) is scheduled to be worked on from 2019 through 2021 and then fully replaced in the late 2020's once the state can find the budget for such.

Reaction Score
Salisbury
Salisbury is an excellent choice. Foothills of the Berkshires, on the Appalachian trail. Some nice easy hikes with excellent views. They have a number of very nice Inns in the area as well as restaurants and not far from Great Barrington in Mass. as well as Millerton, NY.

Reaction Score
Salisbury is an excellent choice. Foothills of the Berkshires, on the Appalachian trail. Some nice easy hikes with excellent views. They have a number of very nice Inns in the area as well as restaurants and not far from Great Barrington in Mass. as well as Millerton, NY.
I'd highly recommend staying at the The White Hart Inn or The Interlaken. Both cater to many of the area prep schools.

Reaction Score
And Haystack Mountain is one of the great hikes in CT.
I agree but I wouldn't drive to Mystic and back from NYC over a long weekend.

If I understand what they're looking for I think I'd probably do Bethel or Kent (if it has to be in CT for some reason). But that's because I already know the gold coast.
If you want old school, go to The Griswold Inn in Madison.[/

Griswold Inn is in Essex, Ct. another charming river front town. Very small, limited parking. Has the Turtle! First submarine. You wouldn’t get me in that thing. It’s at the Ct river museum @the end of Main st. Lots and lots of original colonial homes. It’s about 15nminutes north of Saybrook.

Edit to add,Haystack to is in Vermont.

Reaction Score
Agreed, that whole area is nice. Whenever I'm back in CT. I drive around that whole area and stop in those towns for lunch/to walk around.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My bad saying Griswold Inn is Madison. I got tripped up because I usually go when I visit friends who live in Madison.

Reaction Score

you know it , bud!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom