CT Town for long wkend | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CT Town for long wkend

Reaction Score
I had a Welsh sociology professor once who told the class that the glottal stop that people in that area put into the middle of Brit-ain is wholly unique to that area. To me it’s always been New Britski.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Down in Jersey we've had zero foliage color. Leaves stayed green and just now are starting to drop. Has is beena good season in Connecticut?
Just started really seeing colors the last couple days. Should be peaking just in time to be great scenery for those puking and pissing in the woods in East Hartford on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Down in Jersey we've had zero foliage color. Leaves stayed green and just now are starting to drop. Has is beena good season in Connecticut?

Noticed that, too. The maples went from green to pale yellow and brown while the oaks have not changed yet. Likely has to do with the mild and wet 'fall' so far that transitioned in 1 day (yesterday) to early winter. The concern I have is if we get a snowstorm (Nor'easter expected this weekend powered by leftovers from Hurricane Willa, but, right now it is foretasted to be a rain event) before the leaves drop. Snowtober 2011 is still fresh on my mind.

Reaction Score
@Deepster votes for downtown Hartford, right near the Dunkin' Park

Yeah, they can tour the parking lots and abandon buildings around the park. Maybe head over to the It's a G Thang barber shop for a spa day.

Reaction Score
My wife and I are looking for a recommendation for a town in CT to visit for a long weekend in early November. Driving up from NYC. Just looking for some place nice, small-town, relaxing, with outdoor activities within a short drive and good food. We will have a car, and are pretty flexible in general. Probably coming up the weekend of November 10-12.

Thanks very much in advance. Go Huskies!
CT sucks Go somewhere else if possible.

Reaction Score
Putnam is the way to go. Great Food places and really awesome scenic town

I took 44 to Providence last week and was pleasantly surprised how scenic it was in the area of Pomfret and Putnam. I had never really been out there. Putnam had a nice downtown with a lot of shops and restaurants.

Hartford suburbs- West Hartford, Simsbury and Avon
Litchfield Hills- Litchfield, Kent, Salisbury
Shore (probably wouldn't go there in October)- Madison, Old Saybrook, Stonington, Mystic
Fairfield County- Westport, New Canaan

Reaction Score
That's a big drive for a long weekend to get up to Mystic or Hartford or Putnam(!).

I wouldn't go any farther than this area:
1540366804007.png

If it has to be CT then I'd say New Canaan, Redding, Westport/Fairfield.

I used to live in Westport - it's a cute town with a beach and good shopping and restaurants. Fairfield has come a long way too.

I also used to live in South Salem, NY which very close to Ridgefield, CT - it's a much more rural area so it's great for a fall drive. Several lakes in that area - I used to live on Truesdale Lake - and there's Pound Ridge Reservation to walk around in.

Reaction Score
My wife and I are looking for a recommendation for a town in CT to visit for a long weekend in early November. Driving up from NYC. Just looking for some place nice, small-town, relaxing, with outdoor activities within a short drive and good food. We will have a car, and are pretty flexible in general. Probably coming up the weekend of November 10-12.

Thanks very much in advance. Go Huskies!

My wife and I spent a weekend hiking Bear Mountain and stayed at the Interlaken Inn Interlaken Inn in Lakeville. The Inn was nice, but a little aged. Lots of nice dining around Litchfield. At that time I have to believe it will be very quiet and probably offer some time relaxation.

Reaction Score
That's a big drive for a long weekend to get up to Mystic or Hartford or Putnam(!).

I wouldn't go any farther than this area:
View attachment 35557

If it has to be CT then I'd say New Canaan, Redding, Westport/Fairfield.

I used to live in Westport - it's a cute town with a beach and good shopping and restaurants. Fairfield has come a long way too.

I also used to live in South Salem, NY which very close to Ridgefield, CT - it's a much more rural area so it's great for a fall drive. Several lakes in that area - I used to live on Truesdale Lake - and there's Pound Ridge Reservation to walk around in.
I've spent most of my life living in the Gold Coast. Greenwich to Fairfield are not vacation-worthy. There is a lot of history in the area but you'd really have to know the area to be able to appreciate it, since it is buried in affluence. Eastern CT has done way better at preserving and showing it's history.

Reaction Score
I've spent most of my life living in the Gold Coast. Greenwich to Fairfield are not vacation-worthy. There is a lot of history in the area but you'd really have to know the area to be able to appreciate it, since it is buried in affluence. Eastern CT has done way better at preserving and showing it's history.
I agree but I wouldn't drive to Mystic and back from NYC over a long weekend.

If I understand what they're looking for I think I'd probably do Bethel or Kent (if it has to be in CT for some reason). But that's because I already know the gold coast.

Reaction Score
Saybrook Point Inn. Small New England town, beautiful town green, antique shops, restaurants. Park and walk.
Mystic is very nice also. There is the Aquarium in the center of a colonial village with shops and restaurants and an interesting downtown.

Reaction Score
I agree but I wouldn't drive to Mystic and back from NYC over a long weekend.

If I understand what they're looking for I think I'd probably do Bethel or Kent (if it has to be in CT for some reason). But that's because I already know the gold coast.
I drive all over the Northeast almost every other weekend to get away from here and see something.

Reaction Score
I drive all over the Northeast almost every other weekend to get away from here and see something.
Really? I still have nightmares about I95, the Merritt Pkwy and I84.

Reaction Score
I was born/raised in Madison...so I know the eastern shoreline. I live in Fairfield County and I've rode my bike all over the state on backroads. And I lived in NYC for 20 years and still work there -- so I get the food.

The shoreline area: Madison/Guilford/Saybrook/Essex is quaint, beautifully scenic and quiet. There are some decent food options, but you won't be blown away

Fairfield County: is also scenic, beautiful shoreline, has a bit more going on and comparatively excellent restaurants

Litchfield County: Incredibly scenic, but more woodsy, quiet and slow paced. You can find some good food, but will be more rustic than you are used to.

Don't think there's a need to go up to Hartford area--no offense to those towns, but they don't offer anything you can't find in the West or SW part of the state or along the shoreline.

So net-net, depends on how you prioritize.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom