Crowd Sucked Today | The Boneyard

Crowd Sucked Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know the team gave little to cheer about, but the crowd didn't provide much of an advantage either. I found the Gampel to be pretty much dead. There were many open student section seats in the upper areas. You play a top 25 team on home on a Sunday, you need to be able to sell out your campus arena. I thought the crowd at the XL center was much better for the Memphis game.

Reaction Score
You know, it's a two way street. The crowd was dying for a reason to get excited and the team never, ever provided one.
Yes, I understand that, especially since we didn't start off well...But we couldn't sell out? How could we have whole rows empty for a top 25 team at home?

Reaction Score
Yes, I understand that, especially since we didn't start off well...But we couldn't sell out? How could we have whole rows empty for a top 25 team at home?

The announced crowd was a sell out.

Reaction Score
I wasn't at the game, so I don't know how good the crowd was. I've always hated the "they didn't give us anything to get excited about" defense. Great crowds are proactive, not reactive.

Reaction Score

I was at the game but I was curious about tickets last night. You can use the Gamepl map and pick your seats. Last night I counted 58 tickets available through Ticket Master and many of those were single seats. So, the game was essentially a sell out as is Cincy and Rutgers - there are very very few tickets left for each of those....like less than 100 or so. No idea why some people would not show up - especially the Students on the Uconn bench side. The game was on campus so no excuses for not showing up today.

Reaction Score
There were large sections open, behind the hoop opposite the student section. I don't get it

Reaction Score
I wasn't at the game, so I don't know how good the crowd was. I've always hated the "they didn't give us anything to get excited about" defense. Great crowds are proactive, not reactive.
No, sorry but that's BS. The crowd got up for every situation when we were looking to make a push. Then time after time, we failed to make that push.

It was an awful performance today. You can't expect the crowd to go wild as we commit foul after foul on one end and then clank shot after shot off the rim on the other. We're not noise machines.

Reaction Score
I agree the crowd sucked, but sometimes when the team is struggling you need to cheer like the situation is better than it is. After struggling through the last few years of football where the life is sucked out of the stadium, it's hard to sit here and critique the fans today, but they didn't "perform" better than what would be expected. Today was a day that going above and beyond could have been really helpful.

Reaction Score
I kid you not, an old man yelled at me and my friends several times whenever we stood up and cheered in key situations towards the end of the game.

Reaction Score
The crowd needs to try and get the team going a little. However, a crappy performance against SMU isn't inspiring at all. I know SMU is good, but they just don't bring enough cache in with them to pump up a crowd.

SMU is a yawn for our fans, win or lose. If Larry Brown sticks around, we'll see our fan base start to respect them and look forward to the games against them.

Reaction Score
No, sorry but that's BS. The crowd got up for every situation when we were looking to make a push. Then time after time, we failed to make that push.

It was an awful performance today. You can't expect the crowd to go wild as we commit foul after foul on one end and then clank shot after shot off the rim on the other. We're not noise machines.

Great crowds don't sit on their hands waiting for something good to happen, they try to make something happen. If the team doesn't play well, the fans are just as important, if not more so.

Reaction Score
The crowd needs to try and get the team going a little. However, a crappy performance against SMU isn't inspiring at all. I know SMU is good, but they just don't bring enough cache in with them to pump up a crowd.

SMU is a yawn for our fans, win or lose. If Larry Brown sticks around, we'll see our fan base start to respect them and look forward to the games against them.

I remember people saying this when Marquette was added years ago. They ended up being a team that would give UConn fits and most of us respected them, but it took time.

Brownie

"Sword of God"
Reaction Score

I was there as well and this statement is absolutely true. No one cheers harder than I do and it was a struggle for me today.

Reaction Score
Great crowds don't sit on their hands waiting for something good to happen, they try to make something happen. If the team doesn't play well, the fans are just as important, if not more so.
I would've loved if the crowd could've tried to make something happen today. Contestants were sinking half court shots, we should've gotten them out there. We may have had a chance.

Brownie

"Sword of God"
Reaction Score
I would've loved if the crowd could've tried to make something happen today. Contestants were sinking half court shots, we should've gotten them out there. We may have had a chance.

I was hoping the '99 team brought their uniforms with them...

Reaction Score
I was there also, and the crowd was extremely loud at times. However, part of it was the long delay after the opening tip to score and then the extremely long break to clean up the floor time after time due to the moisture issue. Not an excuse, but a lot of people were standing for 15, 20 minutes for us to score only to have to then sit for a long time, multiple times, to fix the floor issue. That was annoying bc you were either standing or sitting watching nothing for a long stretch of time multiple times today. Say what you will, but that plays a part in the flow of the game. You get pumped after the intros, then bc of tv you stand clapping for 5, 10 min b4 the game even started. Then we don't score for another 15 min or so, then they take a long time out to clean the floor. Then game comes back, and there's a time out right away to fix the floor again, kills any momentum the crowd had going.

That being said, when the team did make runs the crowd would stand and get extremely loud and just as quickly SMU would hit a 3 or make a momentum breaking play and it'd be like a balloon popping taking the air out of the place. So between the moisture issue, constant starts and stops, and the play of the team there wasn't much to cheer about.

Even the ceremony at halftime was screwed up because Jonathan messed up unveiling the flags, and there was no video or music or anything. Just them introducing the players, walking out, then posing for a pic. El-Amin and Calhoun spoke for a few, but they could've done a much better job. Also people seemed confused, why did they honor the 15th anniversary of the 99 team instead of the 10 yr anniversary of the '04 team?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
As a student at Uconn I will say this is the middle of our mid term week. We filled up the one side and the Uconn bench side was about halfway filled but I have a ton of friends that have 3 or 4 exams next week. Just lucky that week was last week for me and I was able to attend with a couple people today.

Reaction Score
Okay. I've just about had it.

First it's the players. Then the coach. And now the crowd.

I'm just waiting for the proverbial my mojo beer wasn't cold enough thread.

It's a freaking loss. I come to expect those things during the course of a season. Those fans that don't expect losses, can go ahead and steal some Kentucky undefeated season t-shirts from those poor Africans, cross out Kentucky and write "UConn".

And for those fans that thought we were going to go undefeated after the Cincy game should have printed out the NCAA Championship t-shirts already.

It's just a wtf loss. Move on to the next game. We've got Cincy and Louisville again. If we don't make it to the tourney or get bounced early, I'm going to throw everyone under the bus including the new Jonathan.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
As a student at Uconn I will say this is the middle of our mid term week. We filled up the one side and the Uconn bench side was about halfway filled but I have a ton of friends that have 3 or 4 exams next week. Just lucky that week was last week for me and I was able to attend with a couple people today.

I was just about to bring this point up. A lot of people forget that college is more than going to basketball games. If you want to continue to go to games, you need to perform well in the classroom. I was thinking to myself during the game as I was sitting next to the band, the team just looks tired today. They must have been up late studying or something. The players have more responsibilities than just basketball. If they don't get the grades, they don't play. In my mind, the pressure of keeping up a good gpa is higher than the pressure they feel on the court.

Reaction Score
Meh, most of us have been there and done that. It is 2 hours out of your day on a Sunday. Anyways I didn't think the crowd was bad but this thread was certainly inevitable with all the XL Center threads that have showed up.

Reaction Score
What was the crowd to do? That was as ugly a performance as we've seen in a very long time. Guys looked like they really didn't want to be there………very disappointed in that team as I think about it today and I can't blame the crowd for that…...

Reaction Score
Meh, most of us have been there and done that. It is 2 hours out of your day on a Sunday. Anyways I didn't think the crowd was bad but this thread was certainly inevitable with all the XL Center threads that have showed up.

It's likely more than that. Doors open 90 minutes before the game and I recall being in line well before that when I was a student. It was closer to a 4 hour commitment. Now, that being said, even during mid terms, I'd always plan a break on Saturday or Sunday to watch or attend a game. Planning ahead,even if it means studying a little extra on a Saturday night before heading out for the evenings festivities, can allow someone to attend a game for a few hours on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom