Critics of the coaching staff | The Boneyard

Critics of the coaching staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just remember what Geno said before the game: "We don't want to show them too much." He knows they will meet again in a more important game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't buy it. Geno would have taken off his pants and shown them his underwear if he thought it would win the game for the Huskies.
Are you saying that Geno's underwear is as scary as some of Kim's outfits. TMI!

Reaction Score
I don't buy it. Geno would have taken off his pants and shown them his underwear if he thought it would win the game for the Huskies.
Agree. The Huskies sure showed everything they had in the Stanford game.

HGN

Reaction Score
I agree Nan.........Geno wanted this game as bad as anyone. We didn't win it , but lets give Baylor credit. They (Sims and Griner) made the shots when it counted and we didn't . But i think the next time we meet will be a different outcome.

The one stat that does jump out is difference in free throws. And wew went cold when we neededd to stay warm/hot. But i thought our girls played well in hostile territory on the road for the first real test.

We'll get better. A lot better.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Are you saying that Geno's underwear is as scary as some of Kim's outfits. TMI!
The secret weapon...

CAshorts-2T.jpg

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I'm guessing Geno is more of a briefs guy. Maybe boxer briefs, but I'm guessing against boxers.

Edit: Not that I give it all that much thought.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm guessing Geno is more of a briefs guy. Maybe boxer briefs, but I'm guessing against boxers.

Edit: Not that I give it all that much thought.
As long as it's not this...

il_fullxfull.97561363.jpg

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
That would be a nice package..... to put under the tree...

Reaction Score

I agree.

Although, much as I'm loathe to quote the TN coach, she did have a good explanation of regular-season strategy: "We're going to play every card in our hand. But that's not every card in the deck."

Reaction Score
Agree. The Huskies sure showed everything they had in the Stanford game.

Wrong!

We didn't show them BB!

And, unfortunately, we didn't show them that we were able to make 2nd half adjustments. For example, by the end of the 1st half it was clear that the starting 5 was ineffective. That all changed when KML and HB entered the game.

A reasonable 2nd half admustment, IMHO, would have been to open the 2nd half with the same five players that gave us the 6 point half-time lead.

Peace,

John Fryer

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I've always wondered why Geno doesn't do that. HB outplayed SD in the first half, and KML was more effective than CD. I don't think I've ever seen him start a different team than the first half, maybe I'm wrong.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever seen him start a different team than the first half, maybe I'm wrong.
He has, and not just because of injuries. However, why not give the starters another chance to play better?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I believe a coach is coaching more than a single game or slice of a game. You need to have your people understand their roles and have confidence that they are not in jeopardy every day. And while you may not agree with the half time adjustments in this game, hasn't what the UConn staff has done at the half over the years convinced you that they are pretty darn effective at adjusting and improving at the half?

Plus, we lost a game ... there are many more to play. Going undefeated in any season in any sport is close to unheard. So we lost by five to the number one team in the country a third of the way into the season .... I felt like crap about it right after it happened, but the team is really in pretty good shape ....

Reaction Score
Wrong!

We didn't show them BB!

And, unfortunately, we didn't show them that we were able to make 2nd half adjustments. For example, by the end of the 1st half it was clear that the starting 5 was ineffective. That all changed when KML and HB entered the game.

A reasonable 2nd half admustment, IMHO, would have been to open the 2nd half with the same five players that gave us the 6 point half-time lead.

Peace,

John Fryer

Wow,
You can lose 4 games in what 2 1/2 years and that freakin coaching staff blew it. Wow again

Reaction Score
He has.

Yes, but only when he was really pissed at a player's performance.

Geno is incredibly mindful of morale and confidence.

Also I dont quite get some fans' obsession with who starts and doesnt. Isn't minutes played the key metric? Unless you thought KML was going to play all 20 mins in the 2nd half, why does it matter that she came off the bench?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't think it matters who starts, per say...except maybe in a game like this where offensive firepower is necessary and every point counts. Caroline wasn't doing much offensively, and once again Bria and KML were the majority of our points. KML went cold in the second half (and yes I know that they were playing better D on her) but maybe coming out and shooting to increase the lead right away might have helped.

All speculation, of course. I know GA and staff know what they're doing and obviously losing three games in four years isn't too shabby :) But this is what fan boards are for!

Reaction Score

Remember the 2000 NC game, when we back-doored Tennessee into submission? After the game, someone put a microphone in Svetlana Abrosimova's face and she said: "Now I understand why coach made us practice plays all year that we never used in games."

Geno has a long history of not showing everything during the season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Remember the 2000 NC game, when we back-doored Tennessee into submission? After the game, someone put a microphone in Svetlana Abrosimova's face and she said: "Now I understand why coach made us practice plays all year that we never used in games."

Geno has a long history of not showing everything during the season.
It may be that the team practiced the play all year long but didn't use it much until the finals because they weren't very good at it during the regular season. I say that if Geno had a weapon he was sure would help win the game last night, he would have used it. I agree that he may have some weapons that he's still tinkering with but that aren't ready for prime time yet that we may see later in the year.

Reaction Score
It may be that the team practiced the play all year long but didn't use it much until the finals because they weren't very good at it during the regular season. I say that if Geno had a weapon he was sure would help win the game last night, he would have used it. I agree that he may have some weapons that he's still tinkering with but that aren't ready for prime time yet that we may see later in the year.

OK, Nan, you win. One of the best, if not the best, teams in UConn history practiced a play all season, but wasn't good enough to use it in a game until the National Championship.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For an April game, maybe. In December, not necessarily, in my view.

Doris Burke is the expert on Geno's "package," so maybe she knows something about the boxers or briefs issue. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom