Creme's preseason top 25 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Creme's preseason top 25

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I may just have to lower my expectations on tOSU initially so I can be pleasantly surprised later on. haha. I initially had Duke below OSU but flipped them with Tennessee. Lexie Brown is just such a strong player it tipped their scale for me. I think Maryland will still win the Big10 tournament. I'd only see them losing to MSU (Cooks is going to be trouble in the Big10) and OSU during the Big10 season. I wish I could say Maryland wouldn't need Lewis because OSU needs her more, but you guys could use her too. :(

Ohio State at Duke, Nov 30. :D

Reaction Score
Also, more significantly I think Walz/Frese/Semrau are better coaches who will get more out of their players than P will, so that's why I have them higher..

Many times a teams records are as much influenced and dictated by circumstance as they are by initial talent or coaching. This makes some coaches underrated and others over rated especially by people who are not really close to a program and who therefore rely on others rather than their own criteria for evaluation. This can be constructive providing their sources are actually being objective. Fans tend to reflect the quality ascribed to the root of their name. Fanatic ! Emotion either for or against often than not will trump objectivity. Coaches often will get a reputation that take a bit of time to shake. This applies both ways. Situations also change over time. I always thought Tara V was a great coach until some years ago when I believed she had stagnated and totally lost it. It now seems like she has turned it around and has revitalized the program along with herself. --------------Don't be so quick to make blanket evaluations based on coaches reputations.

Reaction Score
Last year Creme picked Louisville to finish #2 in way to early poll. They finished 12th and 0-7 verse the top 15 teams. 25-0 verse unranked teams.

Reaction Score
After the transfer fiasco and big impact players leaving their respective teams the top 25 needs a lot of revising.

Top 10:
1. Connecticut
2. South Carolina
3. Baylor
4.Texas
5. Notre Dame
6. Miss St
7. Stanford
8. UCLA
9. Duke
10. Oregon

Reaction Score
Below was my top 15 right after the season ended....taking everything into consideration now, I'd reshuffle it so it looks like:
1. Connecticut-lose Butler
2. South Carolina
3. Mississippi State
4. Texas
5. Notre Dame-lose Boley
6. Baylor-lose Mompremier
7. Stanford
8. UCLA
9. Oregon
10. Maryland-lose Slocum
11. Ohio State-lose McCoy
12. Louisville-lose Moore
13. Florida State
14. Tennessee-lose Cooper/Deshields/Middleton
15. Duke

The transfers that hurt a team's projected outlook most were for Tennessee, Ohio State, Louisville and Maryland...but none of them were Final Four favorites entering this year. The top several teams remain in tact or lose some depth, but still have their important cogs back.

Original list/explanation:
1. Connecticut: The outlook for this team is sky high, and probably even higher with the added motivation to get back on top after getting beat by Mississippi State. More significantly, they return their 4 best players and add in 6-6 Stevens who solves their height issues in the post. Besides Chong, everyone is back. That's 2 AP 1st Teamers, a 2nd teamer (who is probably their best player), plus Stevens, Nurse and the #1 recruit in Walker. Williams, IMO, is the heavy favorite for NPOY next year considering how talented and multifaceted she is. In most big games this year, she was the best player on the court. This team should be the overwhelming favorite to win it all next year, it could potentially be one of UConn's best teams of all time.

2. South Carolina: Even with the losses, the outlook for this team is fantastic solely due to the fact that they have Wilson back as a senior. A'ja has blossomed into the best frontcourt/post player in the country and she no longer shies away from contact. She is also developing into a good passer. Their point guard, Harris, has been stellar for SC and Cuevas is much improved. Obviously they're thin in other spots, but with Dawn at the helm and Wilson as a senior, I still think they're Final Four material. The only shot they have to repeat is if Gray or Davis decide to pass on the draft.

3. Mississippi State: They pulled off the upset of a lifetime and proved they were not a fluke by beating several very very good teams in the NCAA Tournament. They return their 3 best players but lose key role players in Okorie, Dillingham and Richardson. All were integral role players for Mississippi State who will need to be replaced. That said, they have one of the better coaches in the country in Schaefer and the best big game point guard in William. McCowan has great size inside and will continue to improve, Vivians is streaky but can light it up...they'll be a major threat to get back to the Final Four next year.

4. Notre Dame: They get a ranking this high due to their outstanding coaching. Next year is not going to be easy for the Irish. Turner will be coming off an ACL and if she doesn't redshirt, she likely wont be 100% most of the season. They lose an All-American point guard in Allen who was the engine that led Notre Dame's terrific offense. However, next year, ND will not be short for talent. Marina Mabrey and Arike Ogunbowale make up one of the best wing tandems in the country. Both are lethal from deep and capable of scoring 25 on any given night. Transfer Lili Thompson will man the point and should help ease the loss of Allen. Westbeld is a very good inside out forward, and Boley/Young will have more opportunity to take on a bigger role next season. Lack of post presence is going to be the achilles heel for this team, especially if Turner doesn't rebound quickly from the ACL. Their incoming freshmen should have ample opportunity to get big minutes in the first half of the year with Turner recovering.

5. Texas: I might be overhyping this team a bit, but if they can develop some consistency, they'll be darn good. Their upside is outstanding if they can find the chemistry on the court, and I think Aston is a very good coach who will make it happen. Especially with the additions they're bringing in. Everyone is back besides Lang/Taylor. That means Atkins, Holmes, McCarty, and Higgs. They also have Jatarie White coming on board to add more depth in the post. Next year might be the year they get over the hump and make the Final Four. I think this might be the only team with a realistic shot to compete with the Huskies.

6. Baylor: Not sure how they have gone 5 straight years without a Final Four considering the ample talent on their roster, but next year they'll have one of the most talented lineups in college basketball once again. Look for Kalani Brown to establish herself as the preeminent post in women's basketball. Cox, the #1 recruit this year, will have a year of experience and more opportunity to showcase her talent. Tough as nails PG Wallace is back along with Natalie Chou who is one of the better spot up shooters in the country. They'll be very good once again, but I'm really not sold on Kim as a coach after the last several seasons, so a Final Four will be a much tougher task without the likes of Jones, Davis and Prince on the roster.

7. Stanford: Tara's teams consistently overachieve, and I think they'll do the same once again. They lost some core players but return Mcphee, Smith and Sniezek. Tara is a masterful coach, so even if they don't appear to be intimidating on paper, she'll put together a really good team once again.

8. UCLA: Another good team with a lot coming back in Canada, Billings and Burke. Next year will be their best shot at a Final Four.

9. Tennessee: I do think Tennessee will be MUCH improved next year. I may be optimistic with this ranking, but Tennessee had zero depth this year, dreadful shooting, and overly relied on their big 3. Next year they'll have Cooper back, Russell and Nared return (they were both much improved players this year), Diamond is back, and a big recruiting class who should make an impact from the get go. This team had some good stretches with a depleted roster. With more depth I'm hoping for consistency. On paper this team should be a Final Four squad (the last time we had this much talent was in the Candace Parker era), but we have dreadful coaching so I'm thinking 8-15 is a more realistic range. If we are outside the top 20 at any point next season, Warlick needs to go.

10. Louisville: This team should probably be ranked higher, but I was just not impressed with them this season. So much talent in Moore/Hines-Allen/Durr but they lost to every good team the faced, and usually had trouble staying the game. 34 point loss to Baylor, 24 pt loss to SC, losses of 19 and 11 to Notre Dame. Their best wins on the season were a home win against Tennessee and an OT win over Kentucky early in the season. They have Final Four talent, but they need to prove they can compete with and beat other top fifteen teams before they deserve a ranking in the top 10.

11. Oregon: Everyone who averaged more than 5ppg is coming back, led by their two freshmen, Ionescu and Hebard. Consistency is key here, they had an up and down season which is to be expected for a group of young players, but with everyone back and a good coach in Graves, Oregon has potential to make another big tournament run.

12. Maryland: They lose their 3 best players, but the cupboard isn't bare. Charles and Fraser will blossom with more opportunity, and this team still has potential to be very good. Brenda is a better coach than many give credit to, so I think she'll still keep her squad in the top 4 seeds.

13. Ohio State: A team that is loaded with talent but poorly coached. They should be a Final Four contender on paper with Mitchell/Harper/Calhoun/Mavunga/McCoy, but they just don't play defense. Mitchell coming back is huge and she has the talent to lead her team to the Final Four, but I don't see it happening.

14. Florida State: Another team depleted by graduation, but FSU was a consistent top 5-8 team most of the season. Thomas is back and Semrau is one of the more underrated coaches in the country, so FSU should be good once again.

15. Duke: They return a lot of talent but I just don't see them as a top team with McCallie at the helm. Brown and Greenwell are outstanding and Duke has a lot of talent on paper. I think they'll be good, but I don't see this program taking the next step under P.

Great summary. Only exception I would make is Louisville doesn't have close to final four talent. Vastly over rated even before Moore transferred. Durr is very good but doesn't get enough help and Hines-Allen fell off a bit from her terrific soph year. After them who do they have? Walz teams the last few years haven't looked sharp.
Spot on on Baylor. If you don't make a final four with seniors Prince, Jones and Davis plus Brown in the post that's rough. What Baylor couldn't account for was itty bitty Morgan William. She ate the normally very steady pg Wallace up. Wallace had Kim shouting at her most of the game. This is the same team that beat Louisville by 33 the game before and Baylor looked like world beaters including Wallace who played great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With all of the talent that the top teams have lost through graduation, transfer and injury, it's really a crapshoot after UConn at # 1. I don't think SC and MS St will be better next season, but I expect them to hang around as top 5 teams because of Wilson at SC and the 3 returning starters at MS St. Aside from that there are just too many question marks for Baylor, tOSU, ND, TX, Duke, TN (HW), Louisville & Stanford. Oregon & UCLA look like they can make legitimate moves into the top ten next season, but we'll have to see.

Frankly, as a Husky fan, I'm feeling really, really, really good about how next season is setting up.

I agree with you on Oregon and UCLA improving on last season. Both these teams have a shot at winning the Pac 12.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
The only thing that stands out for me is that the frizzy haired #20 for USF will be back on the court against us if her feet hold out.

I doubt that Creme has any inside information on her health and is just speculating that she will play. Frankly, I'm not expecting her to be a major factor. Perhaps, she will be healthy enough to contribute somewhat.

Having said that, I expect USF to be considerably better this year with the addition of an impact transfer and some highly regarded players.

Also, word is that our OOC schedule will be improved. I expect it to be released shortly:

Joey Knight‏ @TBTimes_Bulls Jul 7
Hearing the @USFWBB sked could be released today. Also hear it includes chance for some BIG-TIME matchups in early-season tourney play.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think that the season for Notre Dame. Will depend a lot on if and when Turner plays. Clearly the best player they have.

Reaction Score
I think that the season for Notre Dame. Will depend a lot on if and when Turner plays. Clearly the best player they have.

It's hard for me to imagine her playing this year, and even if she could I'm not sure she would be as mobile and able to catch those ally oops they like to throw to her. I still excpect them to contend but their post post will be seriously inferior to elite teams.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I doubt that Creme has any inside information on her health and is just speculating that she will play. Frankly, I'm not expecting her to be a major factor. Perhaps, she will be healthy enough to contribute somewhat.

Having said that, I expect USF to be considerably better this year with the addition of an impact transfer and some highly regarded players.

Also, word is that our OOC schedule will be improved. I expect it to be released shortly:

Joey Knight‏ @TBTimes_Bulls Jul 7
Hearing the @USFWBB sked could be released today. Also hear it includes chance for some BIG-TIME matchups in early-season tourney play.

Joey Knight‏ @TBTimes_Bulls 51m51 minutes ago
The @USFWBB non-conf slate is out. Bulls get LSU at home (11/10) and could face reigning nat'l champ South Carolina in a Fort Myers tourney.

USF Will Be Tested Early and Often in 2017-18

USF OOC schedule also includes: Oklahoma, Baylor, Michigan State and Ohio state.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Joey Knight‏ @TBTimes_Bulls 51m51 minutes ago
The @USFWBB non-conf slate is out. Bulls get LSU at home (11/10) and could face reigning nat'l champ South Carolina in a Fort Myers tourney.

USF Will Be Tested Early and Often in 2017-18

USF OOC schedule also includes: Oklahoma; Baylor, Michigan State and Ohio state.

Seems like a tough slate for USF but I really like the fact that Notre Dame is also in the Gulf Coast Showcase. Overall though it's a very good OOC for the bulls and should help you all SOS tremendously.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Seems like a tough slate for USF but I really like the fact that Notre Dame is also in the Gulf Coast Showcase. Overall though it's a very good OOC for the bulls and should help you all SOS tremendously.

Yes, MUCH better than last year.

Reaction Score
MState is not going anywhere.

I know UConn fans are bubbly about the upcoming season and you are the favorite and rightly so. However, with the mystique being gone now, I think you will lose a game some where along the way.
Which will be a good thing as it will take the pressure of being undefeated off the team in the tournament. Then the team can just relax and play ball without that burden on them.

I can always see college kids having a lapse. That is always possible. But your statement of "with the mystique being gone now" is pretty weak. To start the year last year, you realize UCONN wasn't picked to be number 1 etc, right? UCONN lost one game -- in overtime last year-- with it's weakest team that they have had in years. And if you understand what UCONN picked up in Stevens and Camara to combat the beating we took on the glass - and UCONN picked up athleticism at the guard positions -- you my friend are going to be in a rude awakening over at least the next two years of where the mystique will actually be. If we rumble through the reg season and have a winning margin of 35 points or more, you still think "the mystique is gone?"

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I can always see college kids having a lapse. That is always possible. But your statement of "with the mystique being gone now" is pretty weak. To start the year last year, you realize UConn wasn't picked to be number 1 etc, right? UConn lost one game -- in overtime last year-- with it's weakest team that they have had in years. And if you understand what UConn picked up in Stevens and Camara to combat the beating we took on the glass - and UConn picked up athleticism at the guard positions -- you my friend are going to be in a rude awakening over at least the next two years of where the mystique will actually be. If we rumble through the reg season and have a winning margin of 35 points or more, you still think "the mystique is gone?"

lol - defensive aren't we and the season is still months away :)
I'd rather see the statements made on the court (and I'm quite sure they will)

Reaction Score
lol - defensive aren't we and the season is still months away :)
I'd rather see the statements made on the court (and I'm quite sure they will)

We can agree to disagree. I think the poster godawg was pretty dismissive after one loss in overtime vs the UCONN team's weakest in years. That was my point. I did say UCONN can have a lapse also. But my statements to godawg off the court will have no bearing with the team's performance on the court anyways.

Reaction Score
MState is not going anywhere. We went 10 deep this year and had 4 Seniors. Now those four were really good i.e. Okorie, Dillingham, Richardson and Chapel.

However, we have a good nucleus coming back including Vivians, McCowan, Schaefer, William, Johnson and Holmes plus Coach has signed some really good kids last year and in the current year.
So we may drop off a bit but it will not be much.
Also, while we did lose to UT at home the last game of the year, we did beat them convincingly in Knox earlier in the season.

So I think we can make some noise this year. May be not all the way to the finale but we should be in the mix.

I know UConn fans are bubbly about the upcoming season and you are the favorite and rightly so. However, with the mystique being gone now, I think you will lose a game some where along the way.
Which will be a good thing as it will take the pressure of being undefeated off the team in the tournament. Then the team can just relax and play ball without that burden on them.

"Mystique being gone"? Last year UConn had a one loss season and made it to the Final Four in a year in which most thought they would be lucky to make the Sweet 16. If anything their mystique is even stronger.

As for UConn losing a game this year. I am willing to bet you they won't lose a game this year or next.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
"Mystique being gone"? Last year UConn had a one loss season and made it to the Final Four in a year in which most thought they would be lucky to make the Sweet 16. If anything their mystique is even stronger.

As for UConn losing a game this year. I am willing to bet you they won't lose a game this year or next.

What are you willing to bet? And is this just for GoDawgs4 ...or can others get involved? :cool:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
"Mystique being gone"? Last year UConn had a one loss season and made it to the Final Four in a year in which most thought they would be lucky to make the Sweet 16.

Whoa, let's not go that far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom