Creighton Scouting Report | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Creighton Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Something I am interested in watching. If Creighton tries to switch all 5 spots on defense like most teams have done against us this year I could see our guards attacking Ashworth off the dribble. At 6'1 170 he is going to be at a big disadvantage. Newton and Castle both know how to get downhill and use there bodies while Cam can get Ashworth on his hip and use those turn around jumpers he has hit this year. Something to watch.

Reaction Score
Something I am interested in watching. If Creighton tries to switch all 5 spots on defense like most teams have done against us this year I could see our guards attacking Ashworth off the dribble. At 6'1 170 he is going to be at a big disadvantage. Newton and Castle both know how to get downhill and use there bodies while Cam can get Ashworth on his hip and use those turn around jumpers he has hit this year. Something to watch.
Kalkbrenner will still be waiting in the middle to help unless we're pulling him out with the small ball lineup, though. May need Samson to be on point with finishing some lobs.

Reaction Score
Great test. Chess game. I contend we have the better team, even with DC out. Even with matchup problems. Need TN to snap out of funk, and we need AK, Spenser and Castle to shine. I do not see us losing if that happens.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IMG_1449.jpeg
IMG_1450.jpeg

Reaction Score
Kansas switched on everything except at the 5 as Dickinson stayed on Clingan. Creighton will probably do the same and leave Kalkbrenner parked in the middle of the paint where McDermott likes him. Creigton on pick and rolls will have Kalkbrenner playing drop coverage, he almost never hard hedges like Sanogo does, and have whoever is getting picked chase over the top of the pick trying to keep attached at the hip of the ball handler trying to push the ball handler to the middle where Kalk will be parked.

Attacking Ashworth is a good plan as he is a terrible defender. If the drives to basket force Kalkbrenner to help this can open a lot of offensive rebounding opportunities for Samson-he just has to take advantage. If UConn goes small, they will give up more points on the defensive end, but if they are on shooting, they can score a lot. Kalkbrenner and Frederick King are not comfortable playing defense away from the basket and it goes against Creighton's core defensive gameplan.

Reaction Score
Tonight is the night for Samson to Jack up a 3 early. Make Kalk think a little bit.

Reaction Score
Coach Mac knows he has a short bench. Needs his top 7 to be available. Guessing he's saying.. Let them get their points. We'll outscore them. We can't afford foul trouble.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
None of these posts conform to haiku syllable counting.

Either score more points than Creighton does, or hold them to fewer points than the offense scores. I'm okay with either of these scenarios. And I don't bet.

Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Coach Mac knows he has a short bench. Needs his top 7 to be available. Guessing he's saying.. Let them get their points. We'll outscore them. We can't afford foul trouble.
48 points might outscore Virginia or Wisconsin, but not UConn. :)

Reaction Score
Alright, time for the rematch, this time in Omaha where UConn has been winless since rejoining the Big East.

Creighton has been 6-2 since our last matchup, scoring a minimum of 78 points in every game after scoring just 48 in the first matchup.

Here are some changes to rankings, etc:
  • 11th in KenPom (up from 15)
  • 19th in offensive efficiency (up from 23)
  • 24th in defensive efficiency (down from 15)
Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 12.21.05 PM.jpg

Again, Creighton is very good, but super top heavy as Greg McDermott basically has a six-man rotation with Kalkbrenner playing 38+ minutes in each of the last five games and Farabello playing basically starter's minutes off the bench playing both the 1 and 2.

Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 12.25.29 PM.jpg

That chart above, to me, is simply absurd. Two lineups make up nearly 80% of all minutes played.

That being said, we didn't have Clingan in the starting lineup last matchup, so it wouldn't surprise me if Kalkbrenner would need a little more rest facing a healthy Clingan.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Alright, time for the rematch, this time in Omaha where UConn has been winless since rejoining the Big East.

Creighton has been 6-2 since our last matchup, scoring a minimum of 78 points in every game after scoring just 48 in the first matchup.

View attachment 96613

Again, Creighton is very good, but super top heavy as Greg McDermott basically has a six-man rotation with Kalkbrenner playing 38+ minutes in each of the last five games and Farabello playing basically starter's minutes off the bench playing both the 1 and 2.

View attachment 96615

That chart above, to me, is simply absurd. Two lineups make up nearly 80% of all minutes played.

That being said, we didn't have Clingan in the starting lineup last matchup, so it wouldn't surprise me if Kalkbrenner would need a little more rest facing a healthy Clingan.
I like how we match up with them this year. We have two players in Castle and AK who can cover their best scorer Scheierman. Last game they started Miller so Castle covered Baylor to start. Our defensive intensity was really starting to show in that game. But their house is one of the most difficult places to win in the country.

Reaction Score
Wow, started reading without looking at the dates and was very confused. Didn't realize same scouting report used for both games!!

Call if a trap game or whatever you want, this one is going to be a bear. How can we not flatten a little bit from Marquette? That being said, Karaban and Castle coming into game with an axe to grind. 12 point win, but a hard fought close game!!

And as always, DOOMED!

Reaction Score

View attachment 96613

View attachment 96615

Whatever happened to Fred King? That kid showed a lot of promise spelling Kalk last year but he seems to be getting less run this season.

Reaction Score
This is not a trap game. This is a game against what will be a top 15 team, on the road where they are 11-2 this year. This will be a very difficult game

Keep Clingan on the floor, make your threes, and we should win. Trey and Scheierman shot 7-23 last time and 2-10 on threes. That won’t happen again, have to stay glued to them all game

Reaction Score
This is not a trap game. This is a game against what will be a top 15 team, on the road where they are 11-2 this year. This will be a very difficult game

Keep Clingan on the floor, make your threes, and we should win. Trey and Scheierman shot 7-23 last time and 2-10 on threes. That won’t happen again, have to stay glued to them all game
It might.

We don’t allow threes.

What makes us elite is with Clingan we don’t allow layups either

Teams having bad shooting nights against us is not by accident

Reaction Score
After the Marquette beatdown, Creighton has trap game written all over it. I hope our guys stay focused.

A road game against a ranked team with a weaker team at home on the other side does not meet any conventional definition of "trap game." What it is is a very quick turnaround to travel to a gym that will be loud for a team that's very good and has given us issues in the past and just smoked Butler on their court.

In my opinion, it would be the most impressive thing this team has done this year if they fly out to Omaha two days after playing Marquette and get a win.

Reaction Score

DC needs to just play with his hands up and not worry about how many shots he blocks but instead worry about how many he changes just by staying in the lineup. He did that yesterday and we were better for that reason.
Kalk made 3 threes yesterday let’s see if he does that again!

Another fun game which to me is house money.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
DC needs to just play with his hands up and not worry about how many shots he blocks but instead worry about how many he changes just by staying in the lineup. He did that yesterday and we were better for that reason.
Kalk made 3 threes yesterday let’s see if he does that again!

Another fun game which to me is house money.
Our position now has definitely changed the stress level of these last two big road games. But it’s tough not to get greedy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom