Creighton Scouting Report - Rematch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Creighton Scouting Report - Rematch

Reaction Score
New feature is available on EvanMiya, haven't played around with it yet but he uses a bunch of examples and screenshots in the thread of UConn stats

We lose mainly on FT margin and Assist margin, so good defense and team offense will win it for us.

Reaction Score
We lose mainly on FT margin and Assist margin, so good defense and team offense will win it for us.
I do think it is somewhat true for us, but the FT margin thing is a dumb stat in this context overall. It's similar to the "win more games when you rush more than the other team" in football correlation without causation. Winning teams take FTs and run the clock out at the end of the game.

Now do we win more when we foul less and draw more fouls? Yeah definitely. It's one of the Four Factors for a reason. But the effect is likely enhanced here beyond the actual effect.

Reaction Score
Alexander has had some big games as of late and he makes me more nervous. Need to keep him in line as well so Hawk and another nice game from Alleyne will help there.

Reaction Score
Can't tell you how much I appreciate and look forward to these reports. I bleed National Flag blue and think I am one of the coaches (my wife once asked me what # I am) so I formulate my own game plan.
Today, run, run, run with some pressure. Try to speed the game up. Not a good game for the double bigs. Andre needs to stay out of foul trouble. Use Adama to get Kalk away from the basket and penetrate with the dribble. Tristen should be able to go to the hoop vs Nembhard.

Reaction Score
OU is 142. Is this game going to be played in the 60s?
They’re both going to play better offense than last game I believe but that’s a tough call. If I was a betting man I’d say under. But going by my recent Keno success you’re best to go in the opposite direction.

Reaction Score
OU is 142. Is this game going to be played in the 60s?
The first one was. I assume they'll make more shots, though, so the scoring will be a little higher than 129.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Creighton's starting lineup is better than UConn's, and there is not a lot schematically that I see as a way to adjust. If UConn pressures the perimeter, Kalk will chew UConn up at the basket, in addition to surrendering penetration. If UConn protects the hoop, Creighton will bomb away. Creighton's shooters are a bit streaky and susceptible to really poor shooting games but hoping they miss is not a strategy.

Creighton is really good defensively too. Even Scheierman is a decent defender.

UConn has to figure out a way to get Creighton to its bench early and for a lot of minutes. Push the tempo and try to tire them out. If one of Creighton's players picks up a dumb foul, attack that player the rest of the game. If UConn can get a lot of minutes from Creighton's bench, that switches the balance in UConn's favor.

Reaction Score
A couple of stats that we need to achieve today.

Have an even or plus stat line with 3 pt. shooting. We won last game because we were + 6. It will be a challenge to win that today.

Need to rebound better. Creighton dominated us on the glass and limited us on getting ORB’s.

A win today will be, IMO, the biggest win of the year keeping the momentum, confidence and swagger going like we had during the 14-0 start.

Reaction Score
New feature is available on EvanMiya, haven't played around with it yet but he uses a bunch of examples and screenshots in the thread of UConn stats

The stylistic one caught my eye. Since Dan Hurley has been here, we play quite a bit better when our tempo is faster.
746E59F3-6CB5-4F25-8AE3-0AF56689A9BF.jpeg

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if we approach the start of today's game like we did against Marquette on Tuesday where we got out of the gate quickly and made a few shots and got some stops as well. Grabbing that momentum early was a big plus, and on the road I think it would be even bigger.

Reaction Score
The first game was an anomaly statistically, potentially in a good way for us this time, especially when you look at the aggregate stats for the bench.

Other than great FT shooting our stats against CU were mediocre at best. Only AS had a good FG shooting game, although JH was OK on three point shots.

Brutally outrebounded, way fewer assists than the norm, and the first game where the bench, as a group, under-performed.
It would have been the PC game except for DC's outstanding performance.

Bench against Xavier: 18 Pt's, 3 RB's and 4 A in 44 minutes.

Bench against PC: 15 Pt's, 14 RB's and 0 A in 56 minutes.
But, DC had 12 of those Pt's and 11 of those RB's in 21 minutes while the others totalled 3 Pt's, 3 RB's and 0 A in 35 minutes.

Bench against CU: 4 Pt's, 5 RB's, and 1 A in 46 minutes.

Reaction Score
The stylistic one caught my eye. Since Dan Hurley has been here, we play quite a bit better when our tempo is faster. View attachment 84015
Have to be careful of these multi-year things. This does not hold true for this year. 4 of our 6 losses this year are on games with at least 69 possessions.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Great teams win games like this. I believe this is a great team. 81-70, Good Guys.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if we approach the start of today's game like we did against Marquette on Tuesday where we got out of the gate quickly and made a few shots and got some stops as well. Grabbing that momentum early was a big plus, and on the road I think it would be even bigger.
The opposite of what I was hoping for is what happened today, and arguably it was the difference. The home team came out swinging and delivered a number of blows that put us in a corner that we spent the majority of the game fighting our way out of. Momentum is a big deal in sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom