Creighton Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Creighton Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
The third game started to show what we can be like.
1. Anna and Evina started to score and look to score. We hope Evina's knee is OK. We need her.
2. Liv dominated in all parts of her game. Foul shooting better form. On the low block, she sensed what move to make whether it was left or right or step-back fade. On her outside shot, they are staying away and saying shoot it. She did and made them. Next is if they come up on her she can then drive them to the hoop. She played like we all want her to. Also great defense in the middle.
3. We got more of Aubrey. Great defense good rebounding and she took an outside shot. She thought about doing other things. We need for her to be the player she can be.
4. Aaliyah continues to show she deserves to be on the court. Ruan the court and banged a lot and played great defense.
Overall we started to look like we can be a force. We are improving each game.

Reaction Score
Functionally, that is not a real distinction. She is (for practical purposes, such as getting minutes) in the doghouse precisely because she doesn't know or remember the offensive and defensive systems adequately. She might have fit in well with the Walker class of a few years ago, not with her teammates in this freshman class.
The term “doghouse” has a negative connotation that would indicate she is not playing because the coaching staff is mad at her. That is not the case at all. They just realize that she is just not ready to play yet.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Creighton game:
  • A little different test for the Huskies tonight against a team that moves the ball and shoots a bunch of 3’s (almost 30 per game). The Huskies did a good job defending the arc in the 1st half (0-11), and less so in the 2nd half.
  • Geno tightened his 1st half rotation down to 7 players from 9 the preceding 2 games, although Nika being out is part of that.
  • Liv was in the zone tonight. She could not miss, hitting layups with both hands, her fall away jumper and even stepped out to the arc.
  • Anna is one of those players who needs to keep shooting until they start falling.
  • I hold my breath whenever Evina dives on the court or gets her legs caught up under her. She’s the glue on this team.
  • I love the way our Bigs run the court.
Liv had the best game I have seen her play—and I have seen every game. Aubrey did her thing. CW was more involved. Yes, Anna needs to shoot more. She passed up too many shots. But she likes assists and making those beautiful passes. Just as everyone predicted she and Paige are leading the team in assists, 15 each after three games, with Evina close with 13. This is a bit more what we expected, a different player taking over each night but with four players in double figures.

Reaction Score
I would say, a nice balanced attack and good defense. Paige did not have to carry the team on her back. I enjoyed the game as I enjoy every game they play and win. The one who impressed me the most was Evina Westbrook. Always calm, steady, under control 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 8 points. She seems to steady this team. At least that is my opinion and as I see. I like her.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think that Mir might not be helping herself escape from the doghouse if she continues to shoot everytime she touches the ball. (Or that's how it appeared she played to me...and I am not complaining, just an observation. )

I was saying the same thing to my wife. Not only did she take it to the basket every time she touched the ball, on defense after her first miss, she just watched as her mark drove to the basket from about 20 feet.

Reaction Score
Liv was by far the most productive. Paige had happy feet tonight and overall was steady but not WOW. Anna found her shot a bit tonight but between her and Paige they are the weak links on defense, Although overall the defense was pretty good tonight.

With all respect, not sure what games you are watching but Makurat is playing terrific defense; she is far from a weak link.

Reaction Score
I re-watched the previous game and Mir is being taught a lesson for sure. Doesn't mean she will stay there but she has to learn some things and also watch her body language. Just watch that video of Geno a few years ago talking about what he looks for in a player.

Reaction Score
Pretty decent game. Looks like the more they play together, they are starting to figure out each others likes and dislikes. Like somebody stated earlier, really looking forward to that Edwards/ONO tandem on the floor at the same time. Glad to see my girl, Anna get some touches and finish. At 6'2ish, her coming off those flair screens and pin downs, is going to be something nice!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just a comment on Mir. While she played less than 3 minutes, and got into trouble a couple times in the paint on offense, there was one thing she did that I liked. In the few minutes she was on the court, she played really hard, unlike last game where she stood around at times.

The coaches can fix the mistakes, but as Geno has said many times, “We don’t teach effort at UConn.”

Reaction Score
Paige looked almost ordinary tonight. That happens to freshmen. I know some think the Anna is a liability on defense but I don't see it. She usually provides good weak side help defense and in a couple of cases she "got beat" because weak side help didn't come h
Paige needs to learn not to walk ...

Reaction Score
Thoughts:
  • Liv was a monster tonight, playing with confidence and the most important thing without hesitation. She easily could’ve broke her scoring record if she played the 4th quarter.
  • CWill is playing really well all around. Her defense and willingness to sky for rebounds is a nice development this year. I hope that her shooting percentage can get better but she is building her all around game and it’s great to see
  • Makurat is a really good passer and streaky shooter. She plays with nice euro savvy but defensively I think she can improve and believe she will when she gets in better shape and has more time with her teammates
  • Paige - was pretty good. I think this game you could see there was a little more hesitation in her mind. I would like her to be a little more selfish because every time she touches I believe she can score. All three levels threat plus ability to draw fouls. I know she’s trying to get her teammate involved but I think as the season progresses she needs to be more selfish
  • I thought E was very solid again. I mean she is just a smooth player, never lot of control. She is good defensively, and Will bit her open shots plus has the ability to drive and finish given her size. I just hold my breath that she doesn’t get hurt because defensively you can see she is so impactful and worry about her legs
  • Aubrey played like Aubrey. Unfortunately I don’t think she has developed more than what we saw at end of last year. Her shot just takes so long to develop and she can get it off because no one is respecting the shot or expecting her to shoot. Not sure how that improves this year. As I’ve said before perhaps she could work her mid range game with her quickness and elevation
  • AE was solids tonight again. I thought she missed a couple of layups she usually makes with contact but I think she won’t miss those much again
  • Mir has so much ability. She can be such a demon on defense. I mean I just saw one possession where her quick feet and hands reminded me of Moriah J. Offensively she is aggressive and needs to be in control as opposed to just being a little reckless. But so much ability.
  • Glad to see Piath and Autumn come in.

Reaction Score
About the rotation. Nika is hurt and I think Mir is still in the doghouse so I wouldn't read too much into it.
Her two minutes in the game illustrated why.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just wait, eventially
Really? When you are playing a 3pt shooting team the rebounds deflect far from the basket. Not sure you can expect the same numbers.... haters gonna hate.
“You do realize I was being sarcastic?”

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I’ll reserve judgment on that comment for the time being.
She just wants people to think that. It was a disinformation campaign she put forth tonight.

Reaction Score
Just wait, eventially
Really? When you are playing a 3pt shooting team the rebounds deflect far from the basket. Not sure you can expect the same numbers.... haters gonna hate.

You beat me to it. “Long shots” usually means “long rebounds”. Hard to rebound those missed 3 point shots when you’re near the basket.

Reaction Score
I felt like Paige had too much going on between the ears tonight. It happens. And her freshman honeymoon is over. She put up some good scoring in the first two games so now she will be the focus of the defense.

Reaction Score
Aubrey needs more minutes. She is a defensive stopper & great rebounder on both ends. That alone is valuable enough to earn her serious minutes. Anything on the offensive end is gravy. She had her best game of the season tonight.
I honestly believe that the coaching staff has to figure out how to get Aubrey the ball where she can be effective. Historically there have been thousands of great basketball players who had suspect perimeter games. A legend from my area is Adrian Dantley, a 6’5” forward who roamed 12 feet around the basket. Without looking at basketball reference, I think he led the NBA in scoring at least once.
Think how often she gets the ball beyond the 3 point line. Especially on top. What’s she gunna do there. I want her to get post ups or at least get opportunities to drive from the wing. Then she’ll get scoring chances besides transition and follow ups.
I understand about ball movement and if plays are run through, openings for players develop. In my day coaches called it “continuity” or maybe “passing game”. There is also the idea of “quick hitters” or plays set up for getting the ball to specific individuals.

Reaction Score
A few here. Team only three games in starting to look like things are gelling to a point but still early in the season.
Olivia will blossom over time, she showed the doubters tonight. But has to do more on the boards. Then again she only played 22 minutes.

Aaliyah has to be aware her reputation proceeds her with the officials. The fact they reviewed a foul for a flagrant while she was getting mauled just as much was not good. I understand the opponent on the floor might have took a hit the replays did not show but of her three fouls two looked like flops.
A fan already of her I hope she changes the hair stripes to UConn colors soon.

Chrystin looked the part tonight, kudos here.

Paige needs to learn not to walk ...
While I agree that depends on the officials. So much traveling is aloud in today's game it is ridiculous. Palming / carrying is never called and there is not a guard bringing the ball up the floor not doing it.
In the big picture for us Paige will adjust but I am sure it is hard when you move at the pace of a humming bird. ;)
Creighton's shooting was atrocious and Liv got ZERO defensive rebounds!!
No attack but do be aware atrocious shooting can often be attributed to the opponents defense. :)

The box...
Women's Basketball vs Creighton on 12/17/2020 - Box Score - University of Connecticut Athletics

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom