Creighton Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Creighton Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Creighton game:
  • A little different test for the Huskies tonight against a team that moves the ball and shoots a bunch of 3’s (almost 30 per game). The Huskies did a good job defending the arc in the 1st half (0-11), and less so in the 2nd half.
  • Geno tightened his 1st half rotation down to 7 players from 9 the preceding 2 games, although Nika being out is part of that.
  • Liv was in the zone tonight. She could not miss, hitting layups with both hands, her fall away jumper and even stepped out to the arc.
  • Anna is one of those players who needs to keep shooting until they start falling.
  • I hold my breath whenever Evina dives on the court or gets her legs caught up under her. She’s the glue on this team.
  • I love the way our Bigs run the court.

Reaction Score
Liv was by far the most productive. Paige had happy feet tonight and overall was steady but not WOW. Anna found her shot a bit tonight but between her and Paige they are the weak links on defense, Although overall the defense was pretty good tonight.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
About the rotation. Nika is hurt and I think Mir is still in the doghouse so I wouldn't read too much into it.
I think that Mir might not be helping herself escape from the doghouse if she continues to shoot everytime she touches the ball. (Or that's how it appeared she played to me...and I am not complaining, just an observation. )

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So who is going to hate on Liv tonight? I thought she was great.
To add to that comment, who was the poster who complained about Olivia's jump shooting form, and claimed that her makes in previous games were flukes? She took three or four jump shots tonight and made them all, with the same shooting form.

I was disappointed that we never saw Liv and Aaliyah in the game at the same time. I think that is the lineup of the near future. Maybe Geno hasn't fully worked up the offense to take advantage of that configuration.

I am concerned about the propensity of Paige, Olivia, and Aaliyah to commit stupid fouls. They all need to be available for 40 minutes. If any of them are on the bench because of foul trouble in a competitive game, UConn's ability to win the game will be significantly impaired.

Christyn's effort on the boards was commendable and much needed, but her shooting percentage (and offensive efficiency generally) is still not where it needs to be for the minutes that she plays.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Creighton game:
  • A little different test for the Huskies tonight against a team that moves the ball and shoots a bunch of 3’s (almost 30 per game). The Huskies did a good job defending the arc in the 1st half (0-11), and less so in the 2nd half.
  • Geno tightened his 1st half rotation down to 7 players from 9 the preceding 2 games, although Nika being out is part of that.
  • Liv was in the zone tonight. She could not miss, hitting layups with both hands, her fall away jumper and even stepped out to the arc.
  • Anna is one of those players who needs to keep shooting until they start falling.
  • I hold my breath whenever Evina dives on the court or gets her legs caught up under her. She’s the glue on this team.
  • I love the way our Bigs run the court.
I remember last year against the pros, Anna took KLS one on one and burned her. Would love one of these games for Geno to have the floor cleared out and force Anna to take it to the basket. Likely would help her confidence and team's performance.

Reaction Score
About the rotation. Nika is hurt and I think Mir is still in the doghouse so I wouldn't read too much into it.
Mir McClean is not in the dog house. She just doesn’t know where to be on offense and defense yet. She’s has raw athleticism and not so much basketball IQ. She needs to learn in practice. She will get it eventually.

Reaction Score
Evina - Slowly starting to see her get more comfortable on offense, still like her defensive energy.

Olivia - Played like an All American. PERIOD. (Also I feel a little vindicated seeing her face up and pass from the high post after my post game assessment of her from last game)

Christyn - Definitely getting more and more assertive and her defensive focus is obvious she’s turning into a really good two way player IMO. Her shot already looks better than last year.

Anna - Anna never really jumps out at me unless she’s hitting tons of threes but another decent game for her. Knocked down a few nice shots and had a couple nice assists per usual.

Aubrey - Glad to see Aubrey the sixth woman once again, and exciting that Geno has given her a green light to start hitting some jumpers, she’ll need that going forward.

Paige - First game that Paige really showed she’s a freshman, not worried I’m sure Geno will sort things out, he’s very keen on coaching her.

Aaliyah - I’m sure the coaching staff are focusing on how not to foul going forward but she still brings something no one else can, didn’t have a crazy game but it’s only her third game. Still very excited to see her going forward this season.

Nika - Sorry to hear about the injury just hope she pushes through recovery and stays engaged.

Mir - Interesting to see her come off the bench with only a couple minutes left in the second half and then both possessions she was involved in she did not flatter herself. Maybe not showing up in practice and Genos sending a message?

Piath - Her box out looked better.

Summer - Still love how she carries herself!

Reaction Score
I think that Mir might not be helping herself escape from the doghouse if she continues to shoot everytime she touches the ball. (Or that's how it appeared she played to me...and I am not complaining, just an observation. )

I think Mir figures if she is going to only get 2 min garbage time, she better makes the most of it, but that'as just going to hurt her even more.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Mir McClean is not in the dog house. She just doesn’t know where to be on offense and defense yet. She’s has raw athleticism and not so much basketball IQ. She needs to learn in practice. She will get it eventually.
Functionally, that is not a real distinction. She is (for practical purposes, such as getting minutes) in the doghouse precisely because she doesn't know or remember the offensive and defensive systems adequately. She might have fit in well with the Walker class of a few years ago, not with her teammates in this freshman class.

Reaction Score
Paige looked almost ordinary tonight. That happens to freshmen. I know some think the Anna is a liability on defense but I don't see it. She usually provides good weak side help defense and in a couple of cases she "got beat" because weak side help didn't come h

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The evolution of this team continues.

Defense was very good tonight. They were relentless out front, making it difficult for Creighton shooters.

Christyn continues to slash in the lane and is getting to the line as well as getting opponents guards in foul trouble. This is when she is at her best.

Liv was fantastic.

I love Evina's game. Quiet and completely in control. Very focused. Glad she got her first 3 of the season.

Reaction Score
Quotes:
Meghan Culmo "Crazy Americans" was she talking about the Boneyarders?
Geno: "37 years of coaching, never saw anything like this." That was Geno being Geno

Team shut down D in the first half allowing just 12 points.
ONO played like she wants it. Good for her. 0 rebounds 1st half, 2 in the 2nd. She did enough to be the first star of the game. She did all that in only 22 minutes
AG is back. Great to see her play like that again.
Evina shaking off the cobwebs and improving every game. She has to play all out, the only way she knows. Hopefully, she will stay healthy.
Touchdown passes from PB, EW, and AM. Great pace.
AM knocking down a couple of three's
Paige was definitely sweating tonight. First I've seen. Good stat line
AE maybe a little too physical.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99