Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Just like in kansas loss, not alot of inside/out game. Karaban & spencer didnt get any looks. Need to adjust to put clingan on block to post more, or more drive & dish. Mcdermott got a great d effort and strong game plan. If kalkenbtenner is gonna play 1 man zone in drop coverage, dh gotta adjust. Creighton put andre Jackson into offensive funk last yr w same one man zone

Reaction Score
To be fair, Ashworth was in Cam's short the whole game and Cam could not get an open look. Whoever guarded AK did the same thing. Advantage Creighton on those two.

To be fair both Ashworth and Miller were almost actually in Spencer and AKs shirts at times grasping and holding like crazy. They got their butts kicked so won’t go into it but the myth that Creighton doesn’t foul continues. They called fouls on them but they had to, they were fouling and it was part of the plan it worked. Not a reason they lost but just pointing out the facts. Neither Ashworth or Miller can guard a chair without doing so!

Reaction Score
Positive: thought Castle played well tonight other than when he hit the backboard to the side of the rim on a straight on jumper for the 2nd time this season.
I might have missed something’s given the score, but I didn’t think this was Castles best game. Didn’t shoot well, had a shot blocked, and then had some mental lapses in 2nd half with turnover and poor fouls.
Only bright spot last night was the fight this team had to cut it to 10 with about 4 minutes to go. Unfortunately that effort expended to much energy and Creighton finished with a strong response.
UConn is the bette team, but last night Creighton had more on the line, was faster to the ball, and shot lights out from 3. Don’t know what they finished at but late they were 60% from 3.

Reaction Score
To be fair both Ashworth and Miller were almost actually in Spencer and AKs shirts at times grasping and holding like crazy. They got their butts kicked so won’t go into it but the myth that Creighton doesn’t foul continues. They called fouls on them but they had to, they were fouling and it was part of the plan it worked. Not a reason they lost but just pointing out the facts. Neither Ashworth or Miller can guard a chair without doing so!
You have to do it back to them off of their screens! These dudes were wide open. It would have helped. I'm surprised Dan didn't start the press 8 minutes earlier, or run a transition offense with Diarra and Newton when he sat Cam for a few minutes. It's almost like Dan wanted and needed the loss.

Reaction Score
Or what about the one that asked who could possibly beat the Huskies? That one should be met with a hanging.
We forget that Creighton is the only team who knows they can beat us. We pistol whipped them at our house, punched them in the mouth after the tip last night, and they still kicked our arse. Funny but I suspect our players thought this was going to be another blowout in the early minutes (I know I did). Like last year, they are the only team we need to avoid in the NCAA, at least until the title game.

Until we win in their house, they are our kryptonite, and they know it. Its good for UConn basketball to always have a tough challenger in Conference.

No fear, just respect.

Reaction Score
Their strategy was simple. Jam us on the perimeter and stay with your man, no threes.
It allowed us to penetrate at will. But like us, with having a 7 footer at the rim, we had to make the open 6-7 footers. We missed way too many of those, or turned it over making a pass.
We learn, and move on.

Reaction Score
I think Cam or Alex should have taken one or two of those contested threes and tried to draw contact. Their grabbing went on all game unchecked because we never forced the issue. Not a knock on Creighton.. they did what they wanted. Also.. if Kalbrenner is gonna chain his nuts right under the hoop, use him as a screening post and send as much activity around him as you can. Dude does not look like a human that is comfortable moving his feet.

Reaction Score
You have to do it back to them off of their screens! These dudes were wide open. It would have helped. I'm surprised Dan didn't start the press 8 minutes earlier, or run a transition offense with Diarra and Newton when he sat Cam for a few minutes. It's almost like Dan wanted and needed the loss.

No doubt Creighton had some issues with a soft press I am sure that will go into the future notebook for MSG if needed. They weren’t comfortable at all, agree.

Reaction Score
I knew we were going to lose when people on the Boneyard yesterday were talking about a three peat.

Reaction Score
Their strategy was simple. Jam us on the perimeter and stay with your man, no threes.
It allowed us to penetrate at will. But like us, with having a 7 footer at the rim, we had to make the open 6-7 footers. We missed way too many of those, or turned it over making a pass.
We learn, and move on.

We get a lot of our 3 attempts off of screening action. We're not great at kicking to the perimeter off of penetration, and Creighton played us well to expose that weakness.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I knew we were going to lose when people on the Boneyard yesterday were talking about a three peat.
Yup that is exactly why we lost. And since we lost now we have no chance at doing anything like winning the BE regular season championship, winning the Big East tourney and certainly we have no chance to win the national championship, let’s call it a season before someone posts something that is so horrible it keeps us from winning another game ever. I have heard the words and terms absurd, nonsense, FOS and conspiracy this week. Yup we lost because of a post. I am certain that is exactly what Clingan was thinking when he picked up his second foul. Someone on the BY said we are going to three peat.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Losing to 7’1” Reek never feels good.

Reaction Score
kalkbrenner 40 minutes 15 points 2 fouls 4 blocks
Clingan 26 minutes 12 points 3 fouls 1 block

first, i have no idea how kalk was only whislted for 2 fouls
second, maybe clingan should have played the first half even if he drew a couple more fouls. a 14 point lead at the half ballooned to 21 and it was over.

Reaction Score
lost doesn’t diminish this season. However our D was not to par. Clingan has to stop with the fouling. Saw the first one before it happen. You just knew he was gonna use his hands and body into RK. He had no shot at stopping that without fouling. Cam got lost multiple times guarding the perimeter in the first half. We needed to make adjustments.

Reaction Score
Post-Marquette Danny said something funny like "I don't even know who we're playing next" but maybe there was some truth to that?

Reaction Score
They shot out of their minds.

Clingan got in some foul trouble and Samson is a mid-major player right now.

Pretty much the game right there.

Winning on the road is hard--we're all good. We knew the recipe to beat us, and the executed it to perfection.

Reaction Score
Post-Marquette Danny said something funny like "I don't even know who we're playing next" but maybe there was some truth to that?

There is a 0% chance that is a true statement.

Reaction Score
Losing the #1 BE regular season title and #1 seed in the BE Tournament has now become a real possibility. I thought we'd win a close game tonight, (although I was very nervous after the amazing win vs Marquette and national adulation that came) and thought our one remaining loss would be at Marquette in a revenge game. Now Marquette could be a loss and we'll need a win at.....gulp.....Providence....to lock up the Big East regular season title and top seed in the BE Tournament. Lots of work left to do....
No it hasn't, it would take a total collapse from UConn and Marquette winning out including winning @ Creighton. Otherwise we'd still finish ahead of them by losing to Marquette and Providence

Reaction Score
There is a 0% chance that is a true statement.
Lol I know but it's a succinct description of how unprepared we looked

Edit- I'll add, I don't mind the strategy of selling out for the home games in the fight to win the conference regular season. Home vs Marquette was a way bigger game for our season and deserved our best effort and prep

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom