Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
It was a taste of what Donovan does. Kalk sitting back in drop coverage means the perimeter defenders can stick like glue. Cam, Alex or others can get by them and then still find a 7’1” shot blocker in the paint. The result early was a lot of midrange crap as we wouldn’t challenge him. Newton eventually became aggressive and that worked. Their perimeter guys being quicker than ours made it worse. We should have played Solo and Spencer more.

Short of having a center that takes threes, there’s really one way to solve that. Donovan and Samson have to screen Kalkbrenner to one side of the lane, we reverse the ball and attack the other side. I expect we will work on that, because we’d need to be able to do it vs Edey as well.

Creighton played fantastic. Tip of the cap to them.
Solo doesn’t have the confidence to drive the ball. He woulda played just like Cam and AK tonight.

Reaction Score
You're not always gonna get a clean look and there weren't many tonight, would have liked to see Cam try to dribble more and get to his spot in the midrange. Even Alex has show the ability to ball fake and get into the paint and shoot the floater off of 2 feet. When the looks are being taken away you gotta put the ball on the floor, Newton and Castle were the only ones willing to.
AK's best offensive play was a nice drive to the rim and shot over Kalk. Unfortunately it came a second too late

Reaction Score
For me? This puts a huge spotlight on our rematch with Seton Hall. Similar approach on D and similar ineffectiveness on the arc especially for Alex and Cam. How we play that game and any future meeting w Creighton will show if that’s really the Achilles heel.

Reaction Score
I wonder what is up with Karaban. He is has been a no show on offense the last 2 games.

Reaction Score
Villanova only won by 1, Seton Hall smashed them by double digits, Marquette on the road and haven’t beat a ranked road team in 10 years.

Looks like getting a win at rival Providence will be needed just to get a share of the Big East regular season or get some help

Reaction Score
For me? This puts a huge spotlight on our rematch with Seton Hall. Similar approach on D and similar ineffectiveness on the arc especially for Alex and Cam. How we play that game and any future meeting w Creighton will show if that’s really the Achilles heel.
I don’t know why we never post either of them up, same with Steph. Need to figure out more ways to get them going when our offense isn’t running well.

Reaction Score
You're not always gonna get a clean look and there weren't many tonight, would have liked to see Cam try to dribble more and get to his spot in the midrange. Even Alex has show the ability to ball fake and get into the paint and shoot the floater off of 2 feet. When the looks are being taken away you gotta put the ball on the floor, Newton and Castle were the only ones willing to.
Cam didn't even really try to do that, I think he had Kalkbrenner in his head. Really rough game for Cam and AK. They both struggled mightily of defense tonight, especially Cam and they didn't exert their will on the game offensively. I don't get it with AK, he's so damn good but sometimes I forget he's even on the court. He's too good to go invisible.

Reaction Score
My concern is it wasn’t that we had an off shooting night. AK and Cam couldn’t even get shots. After it was 7-0, the few shots they took were trash. Off balance, rushed ones - no clean looks. Then they both decided it wasn’t their night and hid - didn’t come off screens hard. Didn’t want the ball. Didn’t make plays. 1 assist between them. So we were left with just Newton probing for shots and maybe a Clingan putback.

This is a problem, because we will see better defenders than Steven Ashworth and Mason Miller if we make a deep tourney run. Some semblance of offensive savviness is needed.

Reaction Score
They made everything they looked there’s not a lot you can do. They were better than our guys, their coach had his team more prepared with a solid game plan keeping Alex and Cam out if the offense.

Next

Reaction Score
we were 3-16 from three.

they were 12 - 24.

They outscored us from the arc 36 to 9. For the math challenged that is 27 points
Actually you are the one mathematically challenged as they made 14 3s and outscored us by 33 from the arc

Reaction Score
I am not gonna lie, they won, and it was square.

Congrats to CU. They deserved to win because they took what was given.

Go UConn. Win the next one.

Reaction Score
They let Castle be open from 3 because they know, but he was hesitant to shoot, and not to let Alex and Cam get shots. That was their game plan, plus playing very hard.

Reaction Score
Creighton is well coached. They played great D and shot lights out tonight. Other than a hot start and late run, UConn just couldn't match their shot making. There was a stretch where they just couldn't get any stops.
Wasn’t even a stretch. I think it was like 10 full in game minutes in the first half lol

Reaction Score
The 3 point shooting was the key to the game. Creighton, who can light it up from 3, was spectacular and UConn was dismal. Creighton denied Spencer any open looks. Credit them for a well executed gameplan. Karaban is a bit of an anaomly right now. He looks a little slow, has not really shot it well recently except for the Georgetown game, and seems to get lost at times in the offense. He needs to move and cut more and not be as stationary. Again, not worried but something to watch for over the next few games. They need to get him going. Tonight is how UConn can lose in the tournament--early foul trouble for Clingan, a red shot shooting team that plays an A-game offensively, and a UConn team who takes some ill-advised shots after falling behind. This was the kind of game last year where UConn throws it into Adama and gets some easy baskets to quell Creighton's onslaught. Could not do that tonight and struggled for offense once Clingan sat dow. Still, beating UConn in the Tournament is easier said than done, especially if UConn is in the East, as they will essentially be playing home games with a very pro-UConn crowd. I expect them to play very well Saturday night.

Reaction Score
we were 3-16 from three.

they were 12 - 24.

They outscored us from the arc 36 to 9. For the math challenged that is 27 points
Ha you need to polish up your math or box score reading

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ashworth finally adjusting to this level of play is huge for them. That spread floor is impossible to guard when nobody can miss. Strange Newtons 2 best games this season came in loses, that must sting.

Reaction Score
Newton took the team on his back today. He’s usually locked in during away games.

Creighton did a good job of defending the 3 and preventing Spencer and Karaban from getting good looks. Clingan early foul trouble was killer.

Credit to Creighton. The crowd was great, as expected.

Ashworth and their bench players shot lights out. A majority of the game they shot 60% from 3 and couldn’t get a look when we went on our run to cut it to 10. It is what it is.

If you want to beat UConn you need to take advantage of missing pieces and shoot VERY well. They did that today. Off to Nova.

Reaction Score
Uh oh, they exposed the formula to beat UConn. Just make all your shots. Simple, really. Hard to believe nobody thought of that before.
Everyone has figured it out, but it is easier said than done. I also don't think this is the complete formula that can beat UConn, but you are right in that it begins and ends with making shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom