Creighton Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
A team loss where no one played well except Tristen. And when Tristen thinks he has to do it all, not a good sign for Uconn.

Cam has his worst night in a Husky uniform and Karaban right behind him.

Poor Poor showing tonight.

Reaction Score
I saw some alarming things, mainly Newton forced to be the primary catalyst, with all our shooters being blanketed off the screen action. We need Castle to be option 1A off the dribble.
Honestly, in this type of game you need Diarra in there. Castle doesn't have the court vision in isolation, and without a dependable shot, he becomes predictable and the perimeter defender leads him right into drop coverage and a Kalkbrenner special.

Reaction Score
The idea that any team is "matchup proof" was stupid two days ago when people seemed genuinely mystified at the idea of this team losing and it's going to still be stupid tomorrow. No one goes undefeated anymore.

And "back to the drawing board" is just laugh out loud ridiculous. Some of you give my 13 year old daughter a run for her money in the dramatics department. What are they, 24-3?
Back to the drawing board was a compliment to the offense the staff has schemed. A team figured out how to defend it well, so now I have faith the staff will adjust accordingly. Wasn’t a dig.

Reaction Score
Embarrassing loss. A loss is fine but to be embarrassed sucks. Cam has to try to do more than shoot threes. Drive and dish. Lost his man on D like 5 times.

Clingan doesn’t get in foul trouble this is a closer game. They got a bunch of layups and then got comfortable. By the time he came back in lead was 16.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t make his 3s when he thinks about them. He had been in a good rhythm before the last couple.
Yeah he was thinking too much on offense the whole game and not just on 3s. Even on his driving he was hesitant. He needs to get more confident with being aggressive on offense.

Reaction Score
All 5 of our starters are awesome but once again it was Tristen who showed up and did his best to will us to victory in a game where nobody else showed up. He again let us know why he's our best player.

My key to the game was to shut down Ashworth like we did Kolek and instead he went off. Clingan picked up 2 in the first 5 minutes and then Ashworth went crazy, that was basically the game...

Really happy for Ashworth, he was absolutely brutal for Creighton and it was killing their squad. He couldn't adjust to the speed and physicality of the Big East and his confidence was shot. Well, he's been damn good the last 11 games and they're a much different team with him playing like this. It's a nice story.

I think all our heads were getting a little too much in the clouds from the top on down to the fanbase. This should snap the team back to reality...

Not worried about us taking care of business in our two home games but at Marquette and at Providence was always going to be really difficult. It's going to be even more difficult after destroying Marquette on national TV and Providence will be playing for a tournament birth. I love us over everyone on a neutral court but those games have me a bit uneasy.

Secure Dog

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Really I think if Clingan does not pick up that second foul even if it was not a foul I think it’s a different game. He has to learn he is our most important player. He can have bad games that is ball. But when you see your sub at the scorers table the coach is telling you don’t pick up another foul. Maybe it makes no difference but the whole tone of the game changed at that point. I just think if we were able to keep it close they make fewer of those uncontested threes. But they have now held us in the mid 60’s twice so we better make some type of adjustment next time we play them. I might try some ISO sets and hope Castle and AK are having better games.

Reaction Score
Really? So when we got it down to 10, if they had 12 fewer points from 3 (meaning we took the lead), that wouldn’t have changed this game dramatically?
That was all from Newton creating shots for himself and 1 for Clingan

Reaction Score
They overplayed on everyone except Castle on the perimeter & our only answer was Newton & Castle taking it into the paint. We’ve got find more ways to get Clingan touches in the post to free up shooters. Ball movement just wasn’t good tonight.

Reaction Score
Besides the disparity in 3s and the disappearing act of Cam and AK what really stands out is the 8 assists on 28 baskets. We were completely taken out of our offense. That really hasn’t happened very often this year.

Reaction Score
we were 3-16 from three.

they were 12 - 24.

They outscored us from the arc 36 to 9. For the math challenged that is 27 points

Reaction Score
You're not always gonna get a clean look and there weren't many tonight, would have liked to see Cam try to dribble more and get to his spot in the midrange. Even Alex has show the ability to ball fake and get into the paint and shoot the floater off of 2 feet. When the looks are being taken away you gotta put the ball on the floor, Newton and Castle were the only ones willing to.

Reaction Score
Both games following, our 2 best games, we struggled. We struggled against PC after blowing out Xavier and tonight we struggled against Creighton after blowing out Marquette.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t the reason for the loss but there were non calls that coulda helped. These BE games are harder than most of what we face in the tourney.

Reaction Score
They overplayed on everyone except Castle on the perimeter & our only answer was Newton & Castle taking it into the paint. We’ve got find more ways to get Clingan touches in the post to free up shooters. Ball movement just wasn’t good tonight.
That starts with Clingan actually being on the floor.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It was a taste of what Donovan does. Kalk sitting back in drop coverage means the perimeter defenders can stick like glue. Cam, Alex or others can get by them and then still find a 7’1” shot blocker in the paint. The result early was a lot of midrange crap as we wouldn’t challenge him. Newton eventually became aggressive and that worked. Their perimeter guys being quicker than ours made it worse. We should have played Solo and Spencer more.

Short of having a center that takes threes, there’s really one way to solve that. Donovan and Samson have to screen Kalkbrenner to one side of the lane, we reverse the ball and attack the other side. I expect we will work on that, because we’d need to be able to do it vs Edey as well.

Creighton played fantastic. Tip of the cap to them.

Reaction Score
A loss can be a humble experience, a learning opportunity, a wake up call. It’s what this team needs for the long run.

Reaction Score
Get your white out. Let’s blow the roof off Gampel on Saturday and get back in our groove.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom