Creighton Post Game thread (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Creighton Post Game thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Based on what happened towards the end of the game, Creighton should have pressed UCONN much earlier. UCONN was in total disarray at the end.

When it comes to the seniors, I admit surprise. I thought they were much better. It not rust, conditioning, lack of practice or any other creative excuses. They just don’t have the high quality consistency needed to be a top team. A supporting staff for whoever the star may be. Butler next. They will probably look like All Americans.

In a game like today where they are playing a team consisting of Munchkins, they really didn’t pound the paint like they should have.

Nika is a jolt of positive energy much needed. Glad she’s back. Not sure she will ever be a consistent point producer.

If we ever get to full strength this season and take a run for the NC, AE becomes a very important cog in the wheel. Liked what I saw today. Hopefully, it gets better as the season moves on.

Sweet Caroline!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So when she comes back, who does she replace in the starting lineup? Conundrum time
Easy...Evina. She will need the rest and her and Nika can be sparks off of the bench. This is only my thought if 2 of our "bigs" are also starting.

Reaction Score
UConn started four seniors and a Freshman was far and away the best player offensively and defensively. What conclusions should one draw from that circumstance?
UConn has had at least two good freshmen in the last 2 years, maybe UConn has a third AZZI

Centerstream

Reaction Score
It's probably just dumb luck but I thought Caroline would be our 2nd best player from day one. When she started getting shots off, even though she missed, it just confirmed it for me. She's the same player I saw in her high school videos. She's the total package and if we do have any chance to win it all she will be a key. She's a plus defender, plus rebounder, plus scorer and overall she doesn't make a lot of mistakes with the ball even though the refs keep calling that stupid traveling foot shuffle.

There are players who can make plays against top competition, players who can beat up secondary competition and contribute something in March and then reserve depth. We have 2 of the first type, 5 or 6 of the 2nd type and then the rest. Having 5-6 of the 2nd type is important and hopefully they have great careers as coaches and other endeavors later in life, but you really need some of that first grouping to win it all. I think we should be a top 4 team again when Paige gets back even if we don't get much from Azzi. If Azzi can defend, she certainly has the ability to be a player in that first grouping. We have yet to see her pull up jumper with any success yet and even if she can just space the floor and knock down a good percentage of 3 pointers she would help this team a lot. She may well end up our 3rd best player before the year is done.

Which is really good by the way. Evina, CW, Edwards and Dorka are all very solid players. Absolutely will be extremely important going forward.

Call me crazy but I think Dorka is our best draft pick this year. I'd pick her higher than any other draft eligible player on the team.
Hopefully this won't be a consideration because Dorka comes back next year and gets a full season with Paige on the court.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes he did. He used a worse word to describe the coaching in the presser
His negative description of the coaching was oblique to say the least. Basically something is wrong in the coaching if they can't dribble without walking. Safe to say, he remains incredulous at how often we make bonehead plays and shoot ourselves in the foot.

In the presser, we need a calming player in the 4thQ to handle things when it gets bad. And I am glad he is not going to anoint Caroline who already has alot on her table.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for replay or highlights at least- I don't get SNY

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Player Post Game. Interesting Mix. Caroline, CW, Aaliyah

Reaction Score
When Paige returns the starting line up will go back to the way it was last year I think: Nika, Paige, CW, Evina, ONO. The only question is how long do certain starters stay out there, and I say not long when you have Edwards, Dorka, Fudd, and Caroline as your next four.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game. It was fun to be back at Gampel. Overall, it was a much needed win and they shook off some rust. Hopefully, they can get sharper as they start playing a regular schedule of 2/3 games a week.

As I saw UConn warming up, I was wondering if they added a lefthanded walk-on. Then the light went on, new `do.

Happy to see Azzi without a boot on her foot. Paige was there on crutches, and Piath not in uniform. Aubrey was not there. Amari warmed up with the team.

The official attendance number, whatever it is, is not accurate. There were a lot of no shows in the lower levels, due to Covid, some moderately icy roads, or whatever. Only a handful of students, and no band. Maybe 5,000 total? Not a ton of energy, the sixth man that was there at the Notre Dame game was not here today. (Made getting in, parking, and getting out pretty easy.)

They looked good early on offense (esp. Dorka) which surprised me given the layoff. The offense was good in stretches, bad in stretches. Not getting enough easy stuff inside. This team also makes some of the strangest passes I have ever seen at this level. Inexplicable.

The defense was good all day. Maly hit two threes in the first half over ONO that got them close, and Geno took her right out. Some other lapses led to layups, but the intensity was there. And except for those Maly threes we were closing well on the three point shooters all day. (I watched Creighton warming up and they were not missing many.) But we need to work on rebounding - they got a bunch of rebounds off of missed three pointers where the rebound bounced long. Need to "box out" better.

Evina`s body language on offense was strange - almost listless- she was not looking to shoot and turned down decent shots in favor of ill-advised passes that became turnovers. But she played very hard on the defensive end and appeared to me to be moving well there, so that`s good.

We got it to 61-44, with the ball, and at that point I thought we would coast to a 20 point win. If it ended then, we would be feeling better and talking differently now. We did not handle the defensive pressure that came in the fourth quarter at that point well at all.

It was great to see Edwards play well. Also great to see Nika and the energy she brings.

The refs are definitely focused on the traveling call so the players are going to need to adjust.

Reaction Score
When Paige returns move Christyn to the 6th man and keep Ducharme in the line up if we want to make the final 4 . Yes it hurts williams
Stock but we need to
Prioritize the team before any individual .

I'm not sure which one of CW or Evina goes to the bench once Paige is back. But whichever of them keeps their starting job will be subject to a quick hook if they're not playing well, and I'm not sure the other will be first off the bench with Nika and eventually Azzi available. But I don't see Caroline losing her starting spot except for Senior Night (assuming that Paige is back by then, which I fervently hope will be the case.)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Unless the team releases details on who had it over the break, we'll never know which players were impacted. Based on reports, Geno was ecstatic when he had 5 players at practice, although not having any of the practice players didn't help.

Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I just hope Evina steps up. We know what she is capable of doing.
A team is much stronger when they have a guard who can take over, be more dominant, and manage the team on the floor.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure which one of CW or Evina goes to the bench once Paige is back. But whichever of them keeps their starting job will be subject to a quick hook if they're not playing well, and I'm not sure the other will be first off the bench with Nika and eventually Azzi available. But I don't see Caroline losing her starting spot except for Senior Night (assuming that Paige is back by then, which I fervently hope will be the case.)
I tend to agree. The last two games, Ducharme has been the best player on the floor. And today that included being incredibly solid on defense. It's only been two games, but if the trend continues, there's no reason to start EW over her. Ducharme brings length and scoring to the wing position, which would compliment the shooting of Paige at the PG spot.

Also, I like starting DJ and ONO together. It gives us a lot of height, and both players can hit the midrange shot. That opens up the high low options that are more difficult with AE occupying the high post.

CW will start the remainder of her career. We might not always get an A plus performance, but I'd be shocked to see her moved to the bench.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Now that the "consecutive games played without back to back losses" streak is still intact, was this one of the narrowest wins after a previous loss?

Reaction Score
I tend to agree. The last two games, Ducharme has been the best player on the floor. And today that included being incredibly solid on defense. It's only been two games, but if the trend continues, there's no reason to start EW over her. Ducharme brings length and scoring to the wing position, which would compliment the shooting of Paige at the PG spot.

Also, I like starting DJ and ONO together. It gives us a lot of height, and both players can hit the midrange shot. That opens up the high low options that are more difficult with AE occupying the high post.

CW will start the remainder of her career. We might not always get an A plus performance, but I'd be shocked to see her moved to the bench.
Does CW deserve it, or is the current best option?

Reaction Score
Big Muhl fan but Auriemma is right on. She needs to temper her emotion with some smarts; she gives this group something they sorely lack but you can’t provide it from the bench.
And frankly, showing the refs up on every call is just dumb.
I think she's only a soph, who hasn't played since when? And Geno is unhappy about one of his players complaining about the refs? LOL

Reaction Score
Love Caroline's game. She continues to start regardless of who comes back. EW doesn't look like she is completely well. Even if Nika doesn't make a shot, the team is still better with her on the floor. I watched Geno trying to coach up ONO. She wasn't even listening. Real sad with that much talent. Overall, good start back after a long tough layoff. Also, starting to see the real Edwards again.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think she's only a soph, who hasn't played since when? And Geno is unhappy about one of his players complaining about the refs? LOL
He's not unhappy about her complaints. he is unhappy that she fouls to much (due apparently to her not understanding or agreeing with how fouls are called) and therefore gets pulled off the court to quickly to get in a rhythm

Reaction Score
If you didn't see the stats, and think about who was involved in plays, were the topic of the announcers and stepped up, it felt like 2 groups:

CD, DJ, NM, AE: Brought energy and aggressiveness. Looked like they couldn't wait to play

CW, EW, ONO (Seniors): Low energy, not involved much. Felt more like role players than leaders.

I really think it will be interesting to see the minutes distribution once Azzi and Paige return. I think we will see the seniors minutes drop as we get to March.
The senior minutes are already dropping. I really hoped for so much more.

Reaction Score
When Paige returns move Christyn to the 6th man and keep Ducharme in the line up if we want to make the final 4 . Yes it hurts williams
Stock but we need to
Prioritize the team before any individual .
why would Williams go to the bench over Westbrook? There is not anyone that has seen both players this season and can objectively say Westbrook has played better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom