Credit to Spanos | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Credit to Spanos

Reaction Score
He is so much better than Steven Krajewski? Guess I don't see it in performance in these two games. Steven Krajewski played so poorly that bar is very low for being better. Here are the QBR ratings for UConn's 4 FCS games with the opponents rating also. Not sure what the ratings cover but they must be some type of indication of good or bad play with higher numbers being better.

Fresno State - Jack Zergiotis 17.7 opponent 58.5
Purdue - Steven Krajewski 43.3 opponent 94.9
Army - Tyler Phommachanh 15.3 opponent 94.0
Wyoming - Tyler Phommachanh 37.6 opponent 31.8

As additional info Jack Zergiotis QBR against HC was 5.0; don't think have ever seen a single digit number for a QB who played a whole game. Stats are from ESPN.

So whatever the QBR ratings mean Steven Krajewski in the 1st game after HCRE2.0 getting the boot, Spanos's 1st game ever as head coach and without the "offensive consultant" who has put some deception in UConn's play calling - had a better rating than either of Tyler Phommachanh's games. And Purdue's defense is at least as good as Army and Wyoming (although Tyler Phommachanh had to face Wyoming's 1st string defense the whole game).

Several points. It makes no sense that HCRE2.0 could have picked Jack Zergiotis as starting QB. Tyler Phommachanh may be "so much better" than Jack Zergiotis (at least the Jack Zergiotis of the 1st two games this year) but has not shown out as so much better than Steven Krajewski.

Tyler Phommachanh seems more mobile and had rushing yards of 60 and 14 in two games but Steven Krajewski was leading UConn rusher against Purdue with 42 yards.

The "eye" test is whatever you see. I see Steven Krajewski as better/more accurate passer and throws less into danger balls (very important to me in QB), mobile enough but not as quick as Tyler Phommachanh. Does Tyler Phommachanh rally the troops better, "make plays", etc. I can't tell.

Not saying go to Steven Krajewski when he's ok again (although I would), just saying Tyler Phommachanh's performance to date (not saying his upside) is not "so much better" than Steven Krajewski's.
Steven Krajewski is definitely a more accurate passer than Tyler Phommachanh, but Tyler Phommachanh’s speed in the open field if he breaks one or two tackles, makes him much more of a threat than Steven Krajewski to opposing defensive schemes. His threat to run with it and being an ok passer makes him dangerous, as is his ability to get away from defenders and make something out of nothing.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
He is so much better than Steven Krajewski? Guess I don't see it in performance in these two games. Steven Krajewski played so poorly that bar is very low for being better. Here are the QBR ratings for UConn's 4 FCS games with the opponents rating also. Not sure what the ratings cover but they must be some type of indication of good or bad play with higher numbers being better.

As additional info Jack Zergiotis QBR against HC was 5.0; don't think have ever seen a single digit number for a QB who played a whole game. Stats are from ESPN.

So whatever the QBR ratings mean Steven Krajewski in the 1st game after HCRE2.0 getting the boot, Spanos's 1st game ever as head coach and without the "offensive consultant" who has put some deception in UConn's play calling - had a better rating than either of Tyler Phommachanh's games. And Purdue's defense is at least as good as Army and Wyoming (although Tyler Phommachanh had to face Wyoming's 1st string defense the whole game).

Several points. It makes no sense that HCRE2.0 could have picked Jack Zergiotis as starting QB. Tyler Phommachanh may be "so much better" than Jack Zergiotis (at least the Jack Zergiotis of the 1st two games this year) but has not shown out as so much better than Steven Krajewski.

Tyler Phommachanh seems more mobile and had rushing yards of 60 and 14 in two games but Steven Krajewski was leading UConn rusher against Purdue with 42 yards.

The "eye" test is whatever you see. I see Steven Krajewski as better/more accurate passer and throws less into danger balls (very important to me in QB), mobile enough but not as quick as Tyler Phommachanh. Does Tyler Phommachanh rally the troops better, "make plays", etc. I can't tell.

Not saying go to Steven Krajewski when he's ok again (although I would), just saying Tyler Phommachanh's performance to date (not saying his upside) is not "so much better" than Steven Krajewski's.
There are so many variables that go into this, most importantly the plays called and the quality of the defense. I still haven't been able to see Steven Krajewski play a game as I can't find any replay of the Purdue game or the UCF game from 2019 but my "contra" opinion is that while Tyler Phommachanh has certainly brought life and excitement to the offense that showed in the second half vs Army and in the WYO game, most of that is due to play calling. Yes, Tyler Phommachanh has good pocket presence which helps him a lot to extend plays but he short-armed a ton of passes and made some poor decisions both passing and running the ball. As a freshman, you'd expect that and I'm not blaming him or anything but I have to think that with better play calling and a slightly softer defense (i.e. Wyoming as opposed to Purdue), Steven Krajewski could have potentially accomplished similar if not better results?

Tyler Phommachanh's two big plays this season have been 1) a 30 something yard run where the last 90% of the run was a stroll once he got through the line, and 2) a TD pass on a reverse flea flicker. Once again, he's brought excitement and optimism and his escapability in the pocket could be something I've underestimated, but I don't think he is definitively our best option at QB.

Reaction Score

If Krajewski got half the chance as Jack Zergiotis this discussion would not even be open for debate.

Attachments

• F1F182D9-D7AF-4B04-B740-53B4F89BE984.jpeg
    F1F182D9-D7AF-4B04-B740-53B4F89BE984.jpeg
    628.2 KB · Views: 128
Reaction Score
Krajewski has gotten a raw deal. That said as of now Tyler Phommachanh deserves to start. Doesn't mean Krajewski won't get another shot either because of injuries or poor play.

Reaction Score
People forget that against his better judgment, DB had to go along with hiring Randy 2.0. If he was calling the shots back then, I don’t think Edsall would have gotten the job. So to a certain degree, the “same clowns” are not doing the hiring this time around.
ABSOLUTELY NO ATTACK on you personally. :)
I also like DB but please do supply a link showing how he hired RE against his better judgement. Nowhere have I ever read the hire was forced on him. He praised getting Randy back to the max. Then when things were in doubt a few years later gave him just as much praise and support.
The only one I would consider a forced hire is PP and that was on Larry McHugh who had a ton of influence on the board. A tireless life long worker and former high school championship winning coach he had a lot of juice on the board. A personal friend of Paul, he let that get in the way of modern times football. A good man but the game had passed him and Paul and George by....

To my original point please show something showing DB was reluctant to hiring Randy. He was all in on everything I had read and smiling ear to ear as he introduced him at the introduction party. I get AD's are salesmen but most believe in the product they are selling. Inquiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score
Look at overall team stats Steven Krajewski vs Purduethen Tyler Phommachanh vs army and Wyoming and then Jack Zergiotis vs Fresno. Sks team stats are better. Steven Krajewski didn’t score however there was Atleast 3 Poetential tds left due to no team support

Reaction Score

Not only vs post Edsall or spanos first game. How about the fact he played a big ten team thats 3-1. With a top 15 DE. I don’t see Tyler Phommachanh performing like that against Purdue. And as I said before 6/23 in second half is not good. I strongly feel with Steven Krajewski passing ability and the plays that were called against Wyoming we have a comfortable win. And a win vs holy cross if Steven Krajewski plays. Army idk about a win but definitely closer we should be 2-2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Look at overall team stats Steven Krajewski vs Purduethen Tyler Phommachanh vs army and Wyoming and then Jack Zergiotis vs Fresno. Sks team stats are better. Steven Krajewski didn’t score however there was Atleast 3 Poetential tds left due to no team support

Man, you are such a one note fiddle.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Spanos is a professional which seems to be missing from Edsall 2.0 he saw issues and looked for ways to fix them instead of doing the same thing and hoping for a better outcome.

Remember he was with the Steelers for a number of years and learned much from the organization and coaching staff while he was there. He knows how to win.

Reaction Score
Man, you are such a one note fiddle.
Facts are facts! I get y’all know I root for Steven Krajewski however y’all don’t go at othe people that support him and I’m not coming up with stuff out of thin air it’s all true stuff the proof is in the pudding

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Remember he was with the Steelers for a number of years and learned much from the organization and coaching staff while he was there. He knows how to win.
Nothing against Spanish, as I like what he's doing, but as we say in Pittsburgh, "Tomlin's coaching tree is a telephone pole."

Reaction Score
I also like DB but please do supply a link showing how he hired RE against his better judgement. Nowhere have I ever read the hire was forced on him. He praised getting Randy back to the max. Then when things were in doubt a few years later gave him just as much praise and support.
The only one I would consider a forced hire is PP and that was on Larry McHugh who had a ton of influence on the board. A tireless life long worker and former high school championship winning coach he had a lot of juice on the board. A personal friend of Paul, he let that get in the way of modern times football. A good man but the game had passed him and Paul and George by....

To my original point please show something showing DB was reluctant to hiring Randy. He was all in on everything I had read and smiling ear to ear as he introduced him at the introduction party. I get AD's are salesmen but most believe in the product they are selling. Inquiring minds want to know.
Why would anyone say that? I believe it to be true that DB was heavily influenced by boosters and former players like Danno. Someone is always going to paint a positive picture and support the hire. RE totally disrespected the guy and called him Dave at the press conference like forgot his name.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Facts are facts! I get y’all know I root for Steven Krajewski however y’all don’t go at othe people that support him and I’m not coming up with stuff out of thin air it’s all true stuff the proof is in the pudding
Well, a lot of what you say isn’t really fact, it’s supposition. You imagine Steve would do better if he got more time or played against lesser opponents and you imagine that Tyler would have done poorly against Purdue. That isn’t fact, that’s your imagination.

But here’s the thing, you’ve made your point, such as it is. Now, you are just coming off as whiny and a bad sport. You aren’t really making a case for Steve at all and certainly are not generating goodwill for him.

Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh is clearly the future, so regardless of what you think of the other two, getting him reps for the future is the best . . . even if one of the other two guys could slightly help the team play better this year.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone say that? I believe it to be true that DB was heavily influenced by boosters and former players like Danno. Someone is always going to paint a positive picture and support the hire. RE totally disrespected the guy and called him Dave at the press conference like forgot his name.
They did not like each other, I know that for a fact. Benedict would attend practice from time to time, he’s also a former player, and you can’t tell me he didn’t raise an eyebrow when Edsall announced Jack Zergiotis as the #1 QB on the depth chart. It wouldn’t be the first time an FBS football coach and his AD disagreed on how the team was being run.

Reaction Score
Only thing I can think of is that Edsall was playing the long game......Besides Edsall never loved playing fast Always wanted to shorten the game for the defense
Nailed it....FWIW, here's my long take... I believe this to be true, for the last 3 HC's in a row. Coaches playing the 5 year plan and control game, more to protect their jobs and make sure nobody underneath them is a threat.

So I'll give credit to Benedict 3 times now for trying to fix what we've all seen with our eyes in his era and since the beginning of the AAC......Pathetic offensive FB.

PP under Warde ( who wouldn't let TJ take control of the offense or allow Moorehead to do his thing in year 1). ......Diaco another guy with a 5 year plan, "the players are fat, exhibition games, clock management/control freak" ( refused to bring in Jerry Kill).....

And Edsall 2.0. Who talked in his 1st presser about opening things up and the 7-7 FB, kids play now. But then it's bigger, faster, stronger, technique, accountabilty ( except from him), blah, blah blah, he can't or won't work with Lashlee, and he's right back grind it out, snails pace FB. That might of worked in the old BE but was never gonna be able to compete in the AAC or vs. teams from this decade who know/are willing to open up an offense. So now RE's out of the way and enter Mazzone.

I don't know who the next coach will be but DB can't hire another one of these defensive minded, control freak relics, who seem to work more at excuses & trying to pro-long their HC'ing careers. Than trying to make it a fun and interesting product for what's left of us fans who are dying to support this thing. So use the portal, cut the corners (Uconn's waived SAT's for 3 years), do it now. They want an incentive contract like RE 2.0, give them 2, wins and bowls games.

Not the biggest Amore fan but I like his pre season take. Because if your not making this fun for the fans and players as an INDY, what are these HC coaches doing this for ? ( a paycheck ?).

" football independence is, almost by definition, a roguish venture. Smash-mouth, three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football works in the Northeast when there is a well-defined goal like a playoff spot or a bowl invitation. The Huskies need to be anti-establishment and make anyone who stumbles across one of their games on CBS Sports Network stop clicking and say, “Who are these guys?”....So here is my proposition: Be bold. Strike hard. Play with attitude. Play fearless. Play like there is absolutely nothing to lose and every week is a one-game season because that’s exactly what this is about."

Last edited:

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
They did not like each other, I know that for a fact. Benedict would attend practice from time to time, he’s also a former player, and you can’t tell me he didn’t raise an eyebrow when Edsall announced Jack Zergiotis as the #1 QB on the depth chart. It wouldn’t be the first time an FBS football coach and his AD disagreed on how the team was being run.
That is true, speaks to why Orlovsky called out Benedict on twitter...Edsall seems to have issues with a lot of people..The former dc and oc couldn"t stand him..

Reaction Score
Well I guess, judging from the way we played yesterday, at least that “bandaid” stopped the bleeding. I hope you’re not saying Benedict was at fault for all this. Benedict never wanted to rehire Edsall in the first place. You don’t have a clue about football, go back to the basketball board. Nice pat on the back you gave Spanos and Mazzone. You should put one of your bandaids on your mouth.
Wait - are you asserting that the AD had no say on who was hired? Interesting. So safe to say the same goes for the hiring of Hurley?

Getting rid of Edsall was the right move that should have been done earlier. Benedict should follow him out the door.

Reaction Score
Wait - are you asserting that the AD had no say on who was hired? Interesting. So safe to say the same goes for the hiring of Hurley?

Getting rid of Edsall was the right move that should have been done earlier. Benedict should follow him out the door.
You call yourself a supporter??? You can wear my “supporter” on your nose.

Reaction Score

He/she most likely has no proof. It's just one of those things that he/she has convinced themself that it actually happened. It's a symptom of delusional thought.

Reaction Score

Maybe he didn’t want to pull a Hathaway. He made the decision but it was heavily influenced and likely financially influenced by big donors. Too bad it didn’t work out.

Reaction Score

I don't follow as closely as some here, but I thought I remember seeing as part of the Diaco buyout, the donors wanted to be involved in the hiring or selection process for Diaco's successor. If true, it takes the autonomy out of DB's hiring process. I never saw if that was all just hearsay or if someone had linked any proof that was the case.

Reaction Score
I don't follow as closely as some here, but I thought I remember seeing as part of the Diaco buyout, the donors wanted to be involved in the hiring or selection process for Diaco's successor. If true, it takes the autonomy out of DB's hiring process. I never saw if that was all just hearsay or if someone had linked any proof that was the case.
Bingo!!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom