Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Lets not forget. Cows are very generous
Yep they are.

And they keep giving.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
What would you say if I said I saw a cow that flies, eats caviar and plays chess?

Bulldinky.

If you added that it played three or four reeds at the same time, I'd say you had seen Rahsaan Roland Kirk, reincarnated. Bright moments!

And that's no bull.

image.jpeg

Reaction Score
Several times when we go to my father's hometown.... we pass a stretch on the highway leading into town, and my father points out... there is the birthplace of Bessy Lou. I used to View attachment 44669 my head and think to myself... I dont remember any great aunt's named Bessie. Turned out Bessy Lou was my father's pet cow when he was a youth. He spoke fondly of her. I forget what happened to ol Bessy Lou.... not sure if my Grandfather sold her off after my father left home or not. I'll have to ask

We raised a few cows for meat when I was growing up. As much as I like cows they were a lot of work and I was not sorry when it was time to have them butchered.

Reaction Score
If I read this thread correctly, the ozone layer, greenhouse effect and the global warming i
There was a candy bar when I was young that was called a Black Cow. Always stuck to your teeth if I remember correctly

I hope this takes you back to your youth. :rolleyes:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Sorry Bama fan. I grew up on a dairy farm. Trust me - cows fart. They also belch. In any case I don't enjoy either one.
Having spent a lot of time in the Dairy Barns at UConn, they have disgusting odors coming out of all orifices. Also they can have projectile poop - look at the walls behind the stalls.

Reaction Score
I normally carry 1000 head for hamburgers, prime rib, rib eye, strips, sirloin, and other stuff on the hoof but sales have been very good. I have sold 350 grass fed to the Eastern Elites and the California/Oregon Elites; and 150 grain fed to specialty based Meat markets in fly over states and the coastal south including Florida. Cows can defintely leave an impact upon the environment in a good way. Where they graze, makes good soil for hay production that is a second commodity which we sell. You do not want to stand behind a cow when they expell gas. Horses, on the other hand are much more musical. They sound like a band of "wind" instruments.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I normally carry 1000 head for hamburgers, prime rib, rib eye, strips, sirloin, and other stuff on the hoof but sales have been very good. I have sold 350 grass fed to the Eastern Elites and the California/Oregon Elites; and 150 grain fed to specialty based Meat markets in fly over states and the coastal south including Florida. Cows can defintely leave an impact upon the environment in a good way. Where they graze, makes good soil for hay production that is a second commodity which we sell. You do not want to stand behind a cow when they expell gas. Horses, on the other hand are much more musical. They sound like a band of "wind" instruments.

We had two draft horses, holdovers from pre tractor days, and one of my jobs was to exercise them. Nothing like riding a large work horse that has the "toots."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Do you have livestock guard dogs for them? If so... what breed? Have any problems with one escaping?
A few years ago, a bull got loose from a farm....came into town and was strolling through my parent's neighborhood. My mother took a picture so people would believe her. I saw the pic... and there he was... across the street looking up after doing some grazing in the yard. I sure hope he didnt leave any droppings behind :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
Do you have livestock guard dogs for them? If so... what breed? Have any problems with one escaping?
A few years ago, a bull got loose from a farm....came into town and was strolling through my parent's neighborhood. My mother took a picture so people would believe her. I saw the pic... and there he was... across the street looking up after doing some grazing in the yard. I sure hope he didnt leave any droppings behind :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
LOL ......no guard dogs. I have donkeys that roam and run with horses and the cattle. The most dangerous predator is the coyote. They will go after the calfs. The donkeys will drop kit a coyote into another ranch. The second dangerous animal is the praire dog who will dig holes and tunnels that can collapse under the weight of a steer or a horse. That's why every year we have a praire dog shoot on the land. And, for the coyotes, that's why I carry an Henry 44 magnum lever rifle either in the saddle or the truck. They have to be within 50 yards for me to see them with iron sights.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
LOL .no guard dogs. I have donkeys that roam and run with horses and the cattle. The most dangerous predator is the coyote. They will go after the calfs. The donkeys will drop kit a coyote into another ranch. The second dangerous animal is the praire dog who will dig holes and tunnels that can collapse under the weight of a steer or a horse. That's why every year we have a praire dog shoot on the land. And, for the coyotes, that's why I carry an Henry 44 magnum lever rifle either in the saddle or the truck. They have to be within 50 yards for me to see them with iron sights.

I just watched a video where a guy hit a steel target 3 out of 4 shots at 1.45 miles. He was shooting a Savage 110 BR (nothing like the Savage 110 30-30 that I had as a kid) chambered in .338 Lapua. You could really raise hell with the coyote population with that. :)

Reaction Score
I just watched a video where a guy hit a steel target 3 out of 4 shots at 1.45 miles. He was shooting a Savage 110 BR (nothing like the Savage 110 30-30 that I had as a kid) chambered in .338 Lapua. You could really raise hell with the coyote population with that. :)
I don't have anything like that caliber. My hunting calibers are the 30-06; 308 win; and 45-70 Government. I am not going to see anything that far and I don't have scopes like that. My property is contiguous to the Santa Fe National Forest on the Eastern side. I get elk to winter. I get plenty of requests to hunt which I will not accept. Every so often negligent hunters or wise guys kill a steer or a horse. I have wild mustangs roaming the property about 100 now as the herd has flourished.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom