COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 12 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Man what a weird day yesterday. Basically felt like a 24-hour flu that started around 24 hours after my second shot and got worse through the day, but now I feel totally fine. At some point in the middle of the night last night I felt like I do when a fever breaks. Woke up soaking wet but feeling great otherwise.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So the FDA and CDC just recommended a pause on the J&J vaccine due to blood clot concerns. That affirms my decision to go with Moderna.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So the FDA and CDC just recommended a pause on the J&J vaccine due to blood clot concerns. That affirms my decision to go with Moderna.

Yeah this is scary and I haven't read enough to understand it. Is it the same issue they had in Europe with the AZ vaccine? That one also mystifies me because it doesn't seem to be statistically significant, but obviously there is something else I'm missing.

Based on what I had read here and elsewhere I was pushing for our 22 and 20 year old daughters to get the J&J but now I'm glad that they are booked for Pfizer and Moderna, respectively; and it looks like our 15 year old will be getting Pfizer at some point this year, too, assuming they get the emergency authorization for which they have applied.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah this is scary and I haven't read enough to understand it. Is it the same issue they had in Europe with the AZ vaccine? That one also mystifies me because it doesn't seem to be statistically significant, but obviously there is something else I'm missing.

Based on what I had read here and elsewhere I was pushing for our 22 and 20 year old daughters to get the J&J but now I'm glad that they are booked for Pfizer and Moderna, respectively; and it looks like our 15 year old will be getting Pfizer at some point this year, too, assuming they get the emergency authorization for which they have applied.

I would not let young women get this one. My wife is scheduled to get it Thursday and we will need to decide whether she does. I wouldn't let my daughter get it. I read quite a bit about it before this pause. Several states had already paused and the EMA (EU FDA) was investigating it. It appears to be the same issue as Astra Zeneca (and both are on an adenovirus platform). Mostly affects women under 60. It's rare, but rare and fatal is still a bad combination. They are looking for a link/causation.

Reaction Score

They're saying 6 people who received the J&J vaccine have had the clotting issue out of the 7ish million doses administered. All occurred within 2 weeks of the shot.

I don't know a whole lot but my understanding is that the clotting isn't occurring in an overall number that would be statistically significant versus the general non-vaccinated population, but it is occurring at a higher rate than the general population among younger people. Again, I am no expert and I have zero medical background so if I'm completely wrong here someone smart please correct me.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They're saying 6 people who received the J&J vaccine have had the clotting issue out of the 7ish million doses administered. All occurred within 2 weeks of the shot.

I don't know a whole lot but my understanding is that the clotting isn't occurring in an overall number that would be statistically significant versus the general non-vaccinated population, but it is occurring at a higher rate than the general population among younger people. Again, I am no expert and I have zero medical background so if I'm completely wrong here someone smart please correct me.

I understand it is 6 as well. The one who died in the US was a young teacher from CT. This provides background on the issue with AZ in Europe The AstraZeneca Vaccine Blood-Clot Issue Won't Go Away - The Atlantic

These generic blood-clot data turned out to have little to do with the very specific, potential risks that several countries were confronting. The EMA said on March 18 that it had found, by then, a possible link to the AstraZeneca vaccine among 25 people who had developed the disturbing blood disorder, including nine who had died from it. All 25 had low platelet counts. Seven also had blood clots throughout their blood vessels—a condition known as disseminated intravascular coagulation, which showed up here at about five times the generally expected rate. The rest had blood clots that prevented blood from draining from their brain—a condition known as cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, which occurred at about nine times the expected rate. Also on March 18, the vaccine authority in the U.K. reported that it was investigating five cases of those cerebral clots in people with low platelets.

Reaction Score
I would not let young women get this one. My wife is scheduled to get it Thursday and we will need to decide whether she does. I wouldn't let my daughter get it. I read quite a bit about it before this pause. Several states had already paused and the EMA (EU FDA) was investigating it. It appears to be the same issue as Astra Zeneca (and both are on an adenovirus platform). Mostly affects women under 60. It's rare, but rare and fatal is still a bad combination. They are looking for a link/causation.
Same. My 18 year old daughter was scheduled to get JJ this past weekend. When the AstraZeneca/JJ issues started percolating late last week i cancelled and she got Pfizer instead.

I would have no issue getting JJ for myself. But for a young woman with low Covid risk as it is this changes the risk/benefit ratio. Particular when there are other options.

Reaction Score
Connecticut Department of Public Health Statement on Pause in the Use of J&J Vaccine
Posted on April 13, 2021

The following is a statement from the Connecticut Department of Public Health on this morning’s announcement from the CDC and FDA that it is recommending that all states pause administering the J&J COVID-19 vaccine after six reports of an extremely rare adverse reaction to the vaccine:

Early this morning, the U.S. FDA and CDC issued a joint statement recommending a pause on the use of the Johnson & Johnson (J&J) COVID-19 vaccine following six reported US cases of a rare blood clotting event. Although these events are rare, and none have occurred in Connecticut, the Connecticut Department of Public Health recommends that COVID vaccine providers pause on administration of J&J vaccine for the time being while the FDA and CDC complete their review.

Of 6.8 million individuals who have received the J&J vaccine nationally, six individuals have developed a rare and severe type of blood clot called cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) within two weeks of receiving their vaccine. All six cases occurred among women between age 18–48 years. Roughly 100,000 Connecticut residents have received the J&J vaccine with no reported serious adverse events.

The CDC, FDA and Connecticut DPH all take vaccine safety extremely seriously. Although the reported complications are extremely rare, we will await the results of the investigation before proceeding with further use of the J&J vaccine.

DPH has informed vaccine providers that were planning to hold clinics using J&J today and in the coming days to delay these clinics or offer an alternative vaccine if they have alternative vaccines available. DPH will work with providers to minimize the disruptions from this announcement in the near-term to the extent possible, but we anticipate that some cancellations will occur.

DPH has also encouraged providers to reach out to all individuals who were scheduled to come to a J&J clinic and let them know that their appointment will need to be rescheduled once the FDA and CDC have recommend resuming administration of the J&J vaccine.

The FEMA mobile unit, which is currently in New Britain, is working to further modify its schedule. It will be offering an mRNA vaccine instead of J&J vaccine when it resumes. The Griffin vaccine vans, which currently administer J&J vaccine, have suspended their clinics for today. More information on the FEMA mobile unit and the Griffin vans will be forthcoming.

Although these side effects are extremely rare, the FDA and CDC recommend that people who have received the J&J vaccine who develop severe headache, abdominal pain, leg pain, or shortness of breath within three weeks after vaccination should contact their health care provider.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Connecticut Department of Public Health Statement on Pause in the Use of J&J Vaccine
Posted on April 13, 2021

The following is a statement from the Connecticut Department of Public Health on this morning’s announcement from the CDC and FDA that it is recommending that all states pause administering the J&J COVID-19 vaccine after six reports of an extremely rare adverse reaction to the vaccine:

Early this morning, the U.S. FDA and CDC issued a joint statement recommending a pause on the use of the Johnson & Johnson (J&J) COVID-19 vaccine following six reported US cases of a rare blood clotting event. Although these events are rare, and none have occurred in Connecticut, the Connecticut Department of Public Health recommends that COVID vaccine providers pause on administration of J&J vaccine for the time being while the FDA and CDC complete their review.

Of 6.8 million individuals who have received the J&J vaccine nationally, six individuals have developed a rare and severe type of blood clot called cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) within two weeks of receiving their vaccine. All six cases occurred among women between age 18–48 years. Roughly 100,000 Connecticut residents have received the J&J vaccine with no reported serious adverse events.

The CDC, FDA and Connecticut DPH all take vaccine safety extremely seriously. Although the reported complications are extremely rare, we will await the results of the investigation before proceeding with further use of the J&J vaccine.

DPH has informed vaccine providers that were planning to hold clinics using J&J today and in the coming days to delay these clinics or offer an alternative vaccine if they have alternative vaccines available. DPH will work with providers to minimize the disruptions from this announcement in the near-term to the extent possible, but we anticipate that some cancellations will occur.

DPH has also encouraged providers to reach out to all individuals who were scheduled to come to a J&J clinic and let them know that their appointment will need to be rescheduled once the FDA and CDC have recommend resuming administration of the J&J vaccine.

The FEMA mobile unit, which is currently in New Britain, is working to further modify its schedule. It will be offering an mRNA vaccine instead of J&J vaccine when it resumes. The Griffin vaccine vans, which currently administer J&J vaccine, have suspended their clinics for today. More information on the FEMA mobile unit and the Griffin vans will be forthcoming.

Although these side effects are extremely rare, the FDA and CDC recommend that people who have received the J&J vaccine who develop severe headache, abdominal pain, leg pain, or shortness of breath within three weeks after vaccination should contact their health care provider.
interesting question for this 18-48 female highly rare poker table group- how many of this handful were also taking 'the pill?' j+j is a sound and reliable technology for the overwhelmingly vast superduper supermajority of those who choose it, but it never hurts to closely examine the results for a 'new' therapy. on the udder hand, i am supremely confident in declaring that 'crystals therapy' is hot nonsense, lessn' of course u find a 10 karat d flawless in ur search. that result seems to make everrone feel better.
ps. after slow and steady contemplation for a month or so, great gramms, she of tooling around in the chrysler at 95 years old fame, got j+j jab on sunday. she told me this am that she didn't even have the arm pain, which she always gets after the fall flu shot thing.
now, back to the complete news blackout for the upcoming novavax reality...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's definitely a cause for concern, and I think the FDA is right to do a "timeout" to investigate things further. Since both the JJJ & AZ vaccines have the same adenovirus vector, it's plausible that it has now happened with both.

Important take homes:
  • Doesn't seem to be an issue for Pfizer & Moderna mRNA platform (though the mRNA platforms does have the implantable Microsoft chip issue ;) )
  • Its still a VERY rare reaction. Here's a nice visual of blood clot risks with other things:

My guess is FDA will re-issue/revise EUA to restrict use to demographic populations that appear "least at-risk" based on the available datasets for JJJ & AZ

Here's a nice article thats a little on the science-y side that describes the reaction and a possible mechanism.:

Reaction Score
Of course a week after I get the first shot (and after a year of traveling all over the place including 3 trips to Mexico) I get COVID in my own house from my son (who got it from his GF). Not serious - nearly over it.

One thing to keep in mind - my wife was starting to have symptoms and she had her 2nd Moderna shot on Friday - she went ahead and got it anyway - and she was in BAD shape over the weekend. Please be smart and don't get a shot if you think you might be positive. That was an ugly 72 hours (might have been bad anyway, but was undoubtably worse).

Reaction Score
It amazes me that young and healthy people are getting a vaccine for a virus. That has a 99.99999 survival rate for young and healthy people. I’m 100% positive that I’ll recover if I get covid. I’m definitely not 100% sure that I’ll be okay if I get the vaccine. No vaccine for me and I’m 100% sure about that.

Reaction Score
It's about caring for the greater good instead of only caring about yourself. I believe most people are able to do that, some aren't.

You should probably educate yourself more on the vaccines.
Umm. They paused the Johnson and Johnson vaccine today. If you think there were only 6 bad reactions to it. You’re ill informed and sadly mistaken. No vaccine that rolls out as fast as these did are safe. I don’t need to be a doctor to know that. I’ve read enough about the vaccines to know that as well.

Reaction Score
It's about caring for the greater good instead of only caring about yourself. I believe most people are able to do that, some aren't.

You should probably educate yourself more on the vaccines.
And how does anyone not getting the vaccine negatively effect someone that does get the vaccine. That is the dumbest logic.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They are resistant to the vaccines?
They don’t know yet. Apparently the vaccines provide good protection against the UK variant. Not clear yet about the South African one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom