COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is everyone getting it in their not-dominant arm? Has anyone done one in each? I got my first shot in my left and am wondering if there is any conventional wisdom about doing the same both times or mixing it up.

Reaction Score
Hopefully I don't derail this thread early! Feel free if this isn't appropriate. I was just curious what the general opinion on eligibility compliance is? Especially since this forum is anonymous.

I got vaccinated pretty early in NJ. Got Pfizer, no real side effects, eligible because I was obese (now I'm not!). NJ keeps opening somewhat weird eligibility, but we know a ton of people that clearly lied. It's so easy to do considering that smokers are eligible. What does that even mean? Smoke one cigarette and you are eligible.

It's been bugging my wife, in particular, who has had the misfortune of being healthy, younger than me, in shape, and works from home. Some people are just blatantly certifying to their eligibility and bragging about how nobody checks anyway. We finally decided she's elgible because her industry was added. You can find some places that say you have to be "front line," but the official NJ site just lists the industry without reference to front line. I should add, if she gets sick it could actually lead to a delay in an important medical event. She even feels guilty about that, but she decided that she's acting better than many people.

So, have you waited your turn? Did you stretch the eligibility? Does it piss you off when others just plow ahead with a lie? It may not matter much now with so many states opening to everyone (not NJ, of course).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I got vaccinated pretty early in NJ. Got Pfizer, no real side effects, eligible because I was obese (now I'm not!). NJ keeps opening somewhat weird eligibility, but we know a ton of people that clearly lied. It's so easy to do considering that smokers are eligible. What does that even mean? Smoke one cigarette and you are eligible.

This is why I’m happy about the way CT has done things mostly based on age.Yeah, there are definitely some groups and people working in high-risk jobs that are getting the shaft... but people are always going to take advantage if you systematically give them the opportunity to. You can’t lie about your age on your driver’s license.

Well, I did have a crappy fake iD as a college freshman, but you know what I mean.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So, have you waited your turn? Did you stretch the eligibility? Does it piss you off when others just plow ahead with a lie? It may not matter much now with so many states opening to everyone (not NJ, of course).
To me, the inherent flaws in an honor system, combined with the additional administrative step of doing whatever it is that they do to "confirm" your eligibility, make it less desirable and efficient as a public health solution to achieving mass vaccination and saving the most lives than the age-based phasing to which Lamont switched.

To answer your questions: Yes. No. Yes.

Reaction Score
Is everyone getting it in their not-dominant arm? Has anyone done one in each? I got my first shot in my left and am wondering if there is any conventional wisdom about doing the same both times or mixing it up.
I had both done in my non-dominant arm (Pfizer). Only issue was a sore arm for the next day both times.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I live in NYC and am over 65. It took me several weeks to get an appointment despite being eligible. The appointment system in NYC is a mess.

I had the Pfizer vaccine at Walgreen's - first shot in late February, second two weeks ago, both in the left arm. No side effects except slight soreness in my arm. I was so, so happy when I left Walgreen's fully vaccinated.

Reaction Score
I didn't meet the age requirements but was considered an essential worker in NC. I didn't necessarily agree with the prioritization of certain groups, including my own, but when I qualified I got the shot as soon as I could despite a little guilt. I figured that I don't make the rules but I'm going to play by them. My wife wasn't close to falling into any eligible group but she scoured the internet for vaccination events where there might be leftovers that would get thrown away and that worked out for her. So, we were able to get vaccinated relatively early and within the rules even though we didn't meet the age requirements or have any risky pre-existing conditions. I've certainly heard of a few people who have taken advantage of the fact that little to no verification is required.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I am getting the J&J on Saturday.

I will say I feel kind of guilty this morning, but at the same time not. I am turning 35 and healthy and already beat COVID earlier this year. When I saw the state was rolling it out to all 16+ starting April 1 I started calling around to see if I could be put on a list for when I would be eligible, expecting it would be awhile because of my age and health. I was fine with that. I actually received a call last week that I could get in on Saturday and jumped all over it. Now I see articles that pretty much say those 16+ with pre existing conditions should get priority, which I agree with, but I also do not want to get somebody in trouble for making a mistake and putting me on a list earlier than they should have. I was truthful with all my answers and I guess I lucked out for once.

Reaction Score
I had both done in my non-dominant arm (Pfizer). Only issue was a sore arm for the next day both times.
I also had both done in my non-dominant arm. I had NO problem after the 1st vaccination. The 2nd was a totally different story. I have either a torn rotator or arthritis in my dominant shoulder. When I went to sleep after the 2nd shot, I tossed & turned every 20-25 minutes through the night. The next day I felt nauseous (due to lack of sleep) & febrile throughout the day. Day 2 post vaccination I felt back to normal.
As to conventional wisdom, my wife is a nurse giving vaccinations. The inoculators at her facility are advising their patients to get vaccinated in the DOMINANT arm as it is used more & this makes for faster absorption of the vaccine, thereby lessening the soreness. They also advise massaging the area throughout the day to increase absorption & lessen pain.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hopefully I don't derail this thread early! Feel free if this isn't appropriate. I was just curious what the general opinion on eligibility compliance is? Especially since this forum is anonymous.

It's been bugging my wife, in particular, who has had the misfortune of being healthy, younger than me, in shape, and works from home. Some people are just blatantly certifying to their eligibility and bragging about how nobody checks anyway. We finally decided she's elgible because her industry was added. You can find some places that say you have to be "front line," but the official NJ site just lists the industry without reference to front line. I should add, if she gets sick it could actually lead to a delay in an important medical event. She even feels guilty about that, but she decided that she's acting better than many people.

They do what they can. In my case it doesn't make much sense. I'm 54.5 and have one comorbidity. In MA, I would be eligible April 5th if I was 55. Instead I'm not eligible until everyone 16+ is. From a risk profile point of view, that doesn't make much sense. Some states opened it up widely fairly quickly. MA has been quite stringent. So I don't get why they aren't just sticking with that a bit longer. It feels arbitrary.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

This is a great question. The eligibility rules are stupider than stupid. After the olds they should let anyone who wants the vaxx to get it, don't sign up fast enough well thats your issue. The vaxx should be like masks originally they were limited now if you have $10 you can get 50 masks on amazon. People who lie to get it who cares the CDC has made an inefficient system which is largely ridiculous. I got the vax, I'm 28 but knowing what I know now I would have said I was a teacher so I could have gone about my life sooner. Where I live (NC) it's relatively easy to get an appointment if you are willing to drive to a super conservative part of the state or check every morning for appointments.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I am getting the J&J on Saturday.

I will say I feel kind of guilty this morning, but at the same time not. I am turning 35 and healthy and already beat COVID earlier this year. When I saw the state was rolling it out to all 16+ starting April 1 I started calling around to see if I could be put on a list for when I would be eligible, expecting it would be awhile because of my age and health. I was fine with that. I actually received a call last week that I could get in on Saturday and jumped all over it. Now I see articles that pretty much say those 16+ with pre existing conditions should get priority, which I agree with, but I also do not want to get somebody in trouble for making a mistake and putting me on a list earlier than they should have. I was truthful with all my answers and I guess I lucked out for once.

Are you in CT or NV(or other)? I'm 33 and just moved back to CT and have Type 1 diabetes. I've been trying to schedule an appointment so I can get in as close to April 1st as possible but have had no luck online or over the phone. If you could share how you were able to get an appointment I'd be grateful. Was it just a matter of calling every vax site? I'm going to see my new doctor on Thursday so hopefully she can help me out. Thanks.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Are you in CT or NV(or other)? I'm 33 and just moved back to CT and have Type 1 diabetes. I've been trying to schedule an appointment so I can get in as close to April 1st as possible but have had no luck online or over the phone. If you could share how you were able to get an appointment I'd be grateful. Was it just a matter of calling every vax site? I'm going to see my new doctor on Thursday so hopefully she can help me out. Thanks.

CT. I literally just called and left messages at every vax site I could find. I ultimately got a call back from one in Wallingford, I think.

Reaction Score
The inoculators at her facility are advising their patients to get vaccinated in the DOMINANT arm as it is used more & this makes for faster absorption of the vaccine, thereby lessening the soreness. They also advise massaging the area throughout the day to increase absorption & lessen pain.
Interesting....I purposely did a light dumbbell workout after my first shot last week to get the blood flowing and using the muscles. Felt a little sore that evening, but almost nothing the next day...my wife took a nap and felt sore for a week

Reaction Score
Keep in mind when looking at the numbers. 95% for Moderna 78% for Johnson & Johnson blah blah blah. EVERY single vaccine including the much ridiculed Russian Sputnik V.... has shown to be 100% effective in preventing death. Which is the most important thing :’)

Reaction Score
I received my first Pfizer shot 1 day after I became age eligible in Florida. I drove over a 100 miles to get it since I preferred to drive rather than deal with the inefficient scheduling and wait time. I will be getting my second next week closer to home since I had no issues rescheduling. They are opening up Florida to anyone 16 and over for Pfizer and 18 and over for Moderna and Johnson and Johnson on April 5th.

Reaction Score
I volunteered at a clinic last week in Mass. it was 65 plus but majority were much younger and seemingly healthy. More people who get it the better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Got my shot card laminated this morning.
I was going to do this when I get my second shot, but the people where I got the first one said that I might want to hold off in case they add a booster (note that there are spots for additional shots to be noted on the card).

Reaction Score
This is a great question. The eligibility rules are stupider than stupid. After the olds they should let anyone who wants the vaxx to get it, don't sign up fast enough well thats your issue. The vaxx should be like masks originally they were limited now if you have $10 you can get 50 masks on amazon. People who lie to get it who cares the CDC has made an inefficient system which is largely ridiculous. I got the vax, I'm 28 but knowing what I know now I would have said I was a teacher so I could have gone about my life sooner. Where I live (NC) it's relatively easy to get an appointment if you are willing to drive to a super conservative part of the state or check every morning for appointments.
The problem with opening it to everyone all at once is it would overwhelm the appointment and distribution systems, and just lead to even more frustration for everyone. I still hate to admit it (but am glad I have to), but I think the way CT has done it has been very good.

Reaction Score
I may have to travel to get vaccinated or use the I'm fat excuse. They've opened up the vaccine to anyone over 16 in some counties in Illinois and Pritzker said every person over 16 in the state will have it available to them on April 12th. This has been revised to every resident in the state except for people from Chicago and there doesn't seem to be any date in sight.

I really want to get the vaccine and there's plenty of people all over the state who have it available to them who are refusing it. I don't want to skip anyone's place in line but I also don't think us Chicagoans who desperately want it should be last in line when the whole state is getting it and so many are refusing it. Have any boneyarders traveled outside their county/state to get the vaxx or used any other means to get the vaxx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom