COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel | Page 30 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccine Thread, the Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Three charts summarizing CDC COVID data:
1628865355748.png

1628865425174.png

Fewer new cases and far fewer deaths. The question to me is whether the precipitous decline since June is going reverse itself in the fall as we enter the traditional cold and flu season. (Take a look at the 2020 summer decline then autumn spike.) It least right now though, this is "the science." It's not as apocalyptic as some choose to portray it.

Link

Reaction Score
Just finished my first workout with a full mask mandate and it was fantastic. Less people, especially by the treadmills and aerobic machines near TV that displays Fox News.

Reaction Score
My son is debating whether to take a semester off from college. His school is currently requiring masks indoors and testing on a weekly basis. He went back into the dorm living last spring and ended up with 4 remote classes and little if any social interaction. He ended up coming home in early April as it wasn't worth the aggravation and depression associated with masks and remote classes. We ended up wasting thousands of $$ on room and board.

We are getting all the positive statements from the school regarding in-person classes, but we understand it is one administrative decision away from remote classes again. He thinks it would look bad on his resume to take a semester off and it reaching out to multiple contacts to try to get a fall internship. I feel like the college campus and dorms will be a Delta breeding ground even with full vaccinations. We need to make the decision is a week. He is going into his junior year and has had one "normal" semester due to covid. As a parent I would rather have him take time off and hopefully have a bit or normalcy in college.

Reaction Score
My son is debating whether to take a semester off from college. His school is currently requiring masks indoors and testing on a weekly basis. He went back into the dorm living last spring and ended up with 4 remote classes and little if any social interaction. He ended up coming home in early April as it wasn't worth the aggravation and depression associated with masks and remote classes. We ended up wasting thousands of $$ on room and board.

We are getting all the positive statements from the school regarding in-person classes, but we understand it is one administrative decision away from remote classes again. He thinks it would look bad on his resume to take a semester off and it reaching out to multiple contacts to try to get a fall internship. I feel like the college campus and dorms will be a Delta breeding ground even with full vaccinations. We need to make the decision is a week. He is going into his junior year and has had one "normal" semester due to covid. As a parent I would rather have him take time off and hopefully have a bit or normalcy in college.
I don’t think any potential employer would look negatively on someone taking a year off with Covid.

I personally would look at that candidate as someone who evaluated the situation and took appropriate action. And someone I’d probably look to hire if they had the other relevant skills.

it’s pretty clear virtual learning isn’t as useful so that in itself is a good reason to not spend lots of $$ in a less than adequate environment.

Reaction Score
So is this you admitting you were wrong about the vaccines? The ICUs and the % of vaccinated versus unvaccinated in them say they do work. Not perfect or complete immunity, but they clearly help. For further proof, see Texas, Florida, Mississippi. All low vaccination rates and full hospitals.

Best analogy I've heard is "saying that the vaccine doesn't work because some vaccinated people get sick and even die, is like saying seat belts don't work because some people using them still get killed in accidents"

Reaction Score

I fully support taking a year off, especially since it’s a normal thing to do pandemic or not.

One example, a kid I know is a student at Ithaca and runs for the XC team. The 20-21 season would have been his senior year, but due the pandemic decided to take the year off, work near his hometown, use his extra year of eligibility to participate in his senior year this upcoming school year. He couldn’t be happier with his decision: if they have the option, who’d want to spend their last year of college under the conditions they had to be in last year?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I fully support taking a year off, especially since it’s a normal thing to do pandemic or not.

One example, a kid I know is a student at Ithaca and runs for the XC team. The 20-21 season would have been his senior year, but due the pandemic decided to take the year off, work near his hometown, use his extra year of eligibility to participate in his senior year this upcoming school year. He couldn’t be happier with his decision: if they have the option, who’d want to spend their last year of college under the conditions they had to be in last year?

My daughter starts in a few weeks, freshman year. They just announced indoor mask mandates yesterday. There is already a Vaccine mandate for all students, faculty and staff. It won't bother her much, but I feel like it is certainly going to impact the normal social interactions as freshmen meet, get to know people and make friends. They suggested that they'd revisit the policy as needed, so I hope they remove it at some point. They reiterated full commitment to in person. If it was remote, I'd be more than a little pissed. I don't think anybody should pay more than, at most, half price for that. They've already got the money of course.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
So is this you admitting you were wrong about the vaccines? The ICUs and the % of vaccinated versus unvaccinated in them say they do work. Not perfect or complete immunity, but they clearly help. For further proof, see Texas, Florida, Mississippi. All low vaccination rates and full hospitals.
The vaccines are a temporary bandaid.

Reaction Score
Chinese ports are ahutting down due to Covid. News is saying that supplies will be affected. I wonder if we will see more of the same hoarding that took place early on in the pandemic

Reaction Score
Yes I read the article. It's an opinion article presented as fact, from a site that quite frankly is questionable at best. This is their home page right no

LOL, the fact that it is an opinion piece is obvious.

Reaction Score
LOL, the fact that it is an opinion piece is obvious.
I hope it is to everyone who reads it. A lot of the "facts" presented in there will tell a different story to people who don't want to critically read the article though

Reaction Score
Chinese ports are ahutting down due to Covid. News is saying that supplies will be affected. I wonder if we will see more of the same hoarding that took place early on in the pandemic
Ningbo Meishan terminal in Zhoushan, Zhejiang province: 1 worker tested positive (asymtomatic) at 1 terminal of the world's 4th largest port (25%). Port and city tested ALL workers, relatives, friends, apartment building residents of the guy: Zero additional +s. Other mainland ports in Guangzhou and Shenzhen previously reported a few relatively recent cases and similarly tested everyone under the sun. No choice of opting out. Currently, no other mainland ports are reported to have positive cases. Local contacts, relatives, and expat friends alike independently share similar perspectives. Ningbo Thursday update:

Obviously, global supply chain challenges exist. Some pandemic-related with other contributing factors, e.g., some recent inland mainland outbreaks (reportedly now tapped down?); shipping container shortages, trucker shortages in China, the US, etc. Examples: Nanjing airport crew screw up after cleaning inbound Moscow flight (imported Covid), and Zhanghiajie tourist area in Hunan (likely domestic).

In Vietnam, the nation's largest, most modern and increasingly important port, Cat Lai in Saigon, is almost back to full capacity. From local and expats contacts, no flexibility exists, everyone absolutely gets tested. real lock downs occur, etc. Unfortunately, many of Vietnam's Covid inoculated people received what are increasingly believed to be relatively less effective Sinovac vaccines. Vietnam update:

Suspect some people still have extra Tyler Phommachanh, but ordering/buying holiday gifts now may help.

Reaction Score
It was shared with teachers two weeks ago, but our school's covid policy was shared with parents a few weeks ago:

Things that are staying this year:
  • Masks warn in school regardless of vaccination status.
  • Only students and staff are allowed inside the buildings (this makes me so happy, parents lurking around inside a school is perhaps my biggest pet peeve. I can walk in peace! :)).
  • Arrival/pickup spread out to four different locations.
New changes:
  • No masks required when outdoors. Last year, the school set up two large tents in the field to provide an opportunity to sign up to have classes outside. We're also fortunate to have patios and/or balconies outside almost every classroom, so students have worked independently outside a lot of the time.
  • No option for remote learning when school is in person.
  • Before the start of school, all staff and students need proof of a negative PCR test. Mine is tomorrow.
  • Expanded cohorts. Last year, they were single grade. This year, they are in groups of two or three grades, depending on the division within the school. For example, in our 5-8 middle school, there will be 5-6 and 7-8 cohorts.
  • Competitive sports are back. We introduced cohorted sports clubs in January, but haven't had competitive sports since the winter season of 19-20. I'm looking forward to coaching XC again for the first time in 21 months!
  • Food is available at school. Last year, all students and staff had to bring in their lunches.
  • In-person musical performances are on the docket.
For all the teachers and parents with school-going kids, have a great school year!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I can also make the personal choice to poop on the sidewalk in the middle of New York City or drive 150mph on the highway. Just because you make the personal choice to do something doesn't make it immediately not a "problem." What you're saying makes no sense. It isn't close to a valid argument. Unvaccinated people are clearly a problem right now. Have you seen Florida? Mississippi? If 100% of those states were vaccinated we wouldn't have a problem. But now Mississippi is begging for help because they have no hospital beds left.

Sir, you do realize, what 99.6% of people dying from covid-19 are unvaccinated? And that wearing a mask or being vaccinated greatly reduces the risk of getting it? Of course, you COULD get covid even if you mask and vax, the point is that you stand WAY less of a chance if you do vax and mask. And then we wouldn't have full hospital beds, or this delta variant going rampant.

I am shocked by the level of dumb apparent on this board sometimes. How do you all go through life like this?

I feel NO sympathy for people who just didn't bother to get the vaccine, even if they're not strictly anti-vaxxers. And I feel heartbroken for those who were unable to get a vax because of preexisting conditions that are now sick because of the assclowns who refused to get a shot like a big boy.

Maybe I'm heartless, but I say that ANYONE who had no reason not to get the vaccine like a preexisting condition sitting in an emergency room bed can be left in the street to die. Dump them out there and tell their families to figure out what to do with them. Put them in the park and let their families watch them die in pain. Put it all over the news--show the bodies and what the consequences are for believing lies. Save the beds for those who COULDN'T get the vaccine and are suffering because of their stubborness, laziness, or stupidity. Not sorry about it.

My father refuses to get vaccinated. If he gets sick and they run out of hospital beds, he deserves to be put on the street. I love him, but it's only fair.

Trust science or die. It shouldn't be up to the general public to foot the bill because people refuse to believe experts. Not our problem any more.
I get your point but the science has been rather…inconsistent.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Got the first shingles shot (Like COVID it's a two dose regimen) yesterday and it's worse than the Pfizer I got months ago. Arm hurts like hell, similar to the typhoid shots I got back in the day. Then again I hear shingles hurts a whole bunch worse.

I wasn't going to get the shingles shot until a friend got shingles in his eyes.

Reaction Score
I can also make the personal choice to poop on the sidewalk in the middle of New York City or drive 150mph on the highway. Just because you make the personal choice to do something doesn't make it immediately not a "problem." What you're saying makes no sense. It isn't close to a valid argument. Unvaccinated people are clearly a problem right now. Have you seen Florida? Mississippi? If 100% of those states were vaccinated we wouldn't have a problem. But now Mississippi is begging for help because they have no hospital beds left.

Sir, you do realize, what 99.6% of people dying from covid-19 are unvaccinated? And that wearing a mask or being vaccinated greatly reduces the risk of getting it? Of course, you COULD get covid even if you mask and vax, the point is that you stand WAY less of a chance if you do vax and mask. And then we wouldn't have full hospital beds, or this delta variant going rampant.

I am shocked by the level of dumb apparent on this board sometimes. How do you all go through life like this?

I feel NO sympathy for people who just didn't bother to get the vaccine, even if they're not strictly anti-vaxxers. And I feel heartbroken for those who were unable to get a vax because of preexisting conditions that are now sick because of the assclowns who refused to get a shot like a big boy.

Maybe I'm heartless, but I say that ANYONE who had no reason not to get the vaccine like a preexisting condition sitting in an emergency room bed can be left in the street to die. Dump them out there and tell their families to figure out what to do with them. Put them in the park and let their families watch them die in pain. Put it all over the news--show the bodies and what the consequences are for believing lies. Save the beds for those who COULDN'T get the vaccine and are suffering because of their stubborness, laziness, or stupidity. Not sorry about it.

My father refuses to get vaccinated. If he gets sick and they run out of hospital beds, he deserves to be put on the street. I love him, but it's only fair.

Trust science or die. It shouldn't be up to the general public to foot the bill because people refuse to believe experts. Not our problem any more.
That's an extreme take with a lot of points I agree with. You and I are both in education and a few days ago I started processing feelings of sadness, frustration and anger returning back to school with it being our third straight year affected by Covid.

I can't help to think that if the rest of the country had vaccination rates like the Northeast, we wouldn't have to do as of the precautions we are doing now, especially in schools, and the misinformation of millions of people are putting this country behind.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It was shared with teachers two weeks ago, but our school's covid policy was shared with parents a few weeks ago:

Things that are staying this year:
  • Masks warn in school regardless of vaccination status.
  • Only students and staff are allowed inside the buildings (this makes me so happy, parents lurking around inside a school is perhaps my biggest pet peeve. I can walk in peace! :)).
  • Arrival/pickup spread out to four different locations.
New changes:
  • No masks required when outdoors. Last year, the school set up two large tents in the field to provide an opportunity to sign up to have classes outside. We're also fortunate to have patios and/or balconies outside almost every classroom, so students have worked independently outside a lot of the time.
  • No option for remote learning when school is in person.
  • Before the start of school, all staff and students need proof of a negative PCR test. Mine is tomorrow.
  • Expanded cohorts. Last year, they were single grade. This year, they are in groups of two or three grades, depending on the division within the school. For example, in our 5-8 middle school, there will be 5-6 and 7-8 cohorts.
  • Competitive sports are back. We introduced cohorted sports clubs in January, but haven't had competitive sports since the winter season of 19-20. I'm looking forward to coaching XC again for the first time in 21 months!
  • Food is available at school. Last year, all students and staff had to bring in their lunches.
  • In-person musical performances are on the docket.
For all the teachers and parents with school-going kids, have a great school year!

Good update. I would prefer investment in ventilation/air filtration indoors to masks, but not every building can do that. Is the XC team able to run without masks (assuming outside)? Some of the least rational, least science-based things that happened last year included masking sports participants outside. I watched HS golfers playing in masks, and my friend's boys ran track in masks in RI. Glad outdoor masking is gone.

At Northeastern U, my daughter will need a PCR test weekly. Masking in all indoor spaces except you own room. They run their own tests, so results are quick. There is also a daily wellness check in via an app, to check for symptoms etc. Not sure how useful that really is. All of that on top of vaccination requirements for all students and staff.

Reaction Score
Good update. I would prefer investment in ventilation/air filtration indoors to masks, but not every building can do that. Is the XC team able to run without masks (assuming outside)? Some of the least rational, least science-based things that happened last year included masking sports participants outside. I watched HS golfers playing in masks, and my friend's boys ran track in masks in RI. Glad outdoor masking is gone.

At Northeastern U, my daughter will need a PCR test weekly. Masking in all indoor spaces except you own room. They run their own tests, so results are quick. There is also a daily wellness check in via an app, to check for symptoms etc. Not sure how useful that really is. All of that on top of vaccination requirements for all students and staff.
so what happens with local bars and numerous parties that college kids have? Outdoors only? Fully masked parties?

Reaction Score

We don't have HVAC in about 95% of the school, so any investment w/ ventilation/air filtration isn't possible.

I don't know about masks during outdoor sports. Our games/meets don't start til the 9/23, so my guess that buys time for our conference to figure stuff out.

I do agree that outdoor sports is silly with masks and I would be very surprised if we are masked. However, we offer volleyball as an indoor sport and I'd expect that to be masked.

Reaction Score
You and I are both in education and a few days ago I started processing feelings of sadness, frustration and anger returning back to school with it being our third straight year affected by Covid.
Sure feels like the 3rd straight school year, and hence wish you, other yard teachers and parents of school children well. Just knowing some kind of was up > a month sooner than most Americans knew anything and stocking up masks, sanitizer stuff, extra food, etc earlier, it's been challenging even with no young kids involved. Nationally, may the school year and life in general return to normal-er days sooner than may appear likely this week.

Reaction Score

You know to some extent the outdoor masking and sports cancellations were because this was a very new virus and we were all trying to understand how it worked. After a year and a half we have a much better handle. We know how it spreads, how long it lasts on surfaces, how to limit the chances of contracting it. A year ago were we just got an understanding of much of this. Now we have a better handle as well as a vaccine to prevent most spread. Of course knuckleheads won’t take it so we’re all back in masks and hoping we don’t need the ER for another illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom