COVID Vaccination | Page 15 | The Boneyard

COVID Vaccination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I actually think it’s better than it was but unless you have that big time talent like a Will Ferrell, Eddie Murphy or such there’s a limit to how good it can be. They are all pretty good but no one on that level.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity since I don’t have a bio background. How did we manage to get past the Spanish flu without even a vaccine?
After it killed close to 50 million people, we reached herd immunity without a vaccine. Just for reference - 2.79 million deaths from covid right now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Phil Hartman. The most underrated but greatest "Not Ready_For Primetime Player" ever.

I can watch Greedy any time and it's non stop laughs. Phil was great. And Olivia D'abo was smoking in that movie too.

"I didn't like the Beatles. And I don't like you."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My point is we need effective things to stop rampant spread. Every new infection is an opportunity for the worst-case mutation/variant scenario. Yes, what I suggested is a trillion to one probability event (likely higher than that!). But your statistical probability of hitting that doomsday lottery scenario is. LOT lower with 1,000 new infections/day than 1,000,000 a day.

Which is why having a vaccine that does more than just reduce severity of illness/hospitalizations is so crucial at this point.

Yes for sure. But even natural immunity reduces spread. So I imagine these vaccines do as well. The continued challenge with this is the pre-symptomatic spread.

Everyone is freaking a bit as cases go up, but so far cases have risen in every country as vaccinations go up. Especially between first and second shots.

Reaction Score
I can watch Greedy any time and it's non stop laughs. Phil was great. And Olivia D'abo was smoking in that movie too.

"I didn't like the Beatles. And I don't like you."

" We spent 5 years eating your sih*t and saying "Mmm, what a cook"!
He was so good. Lol funny.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity since I don’t have a bio background. How did we manage to get past the Spanish flu without even a vaccine?
I am not sure it is fully known.

There still isn't even a general consensus in regard to how to get past this current issue. It could last ten years, it could be over in months, Who knows.

Even among experts, opinions vary. Many leading experts from around the world and renowned UNIs like Harvard, Oxford, and Stanford are part of GBD.

It is not perfect, but the most nuanced, most reasonable, and the best response to the current issue that I have read so far.

Reaction Score
Yes for sure. But even natural immunity reduces spread. So I imagine these vaccines do as well. The continued challenge with this is the pre-symptomatic spread.

Everyone is freaking a bit as cases go up, but so far cases have risen in every country as vaccinations go up. Especially between first and second shots.

Right. Every scientist suspected they would prevent infection/asymptomatic infection, but couldn’t definitely say it until there was real data to support it. We really have a lot of strong evidence now, so we should be singing it from the rooftops to help with vaccine hesitancy.

The cases going up is a bit of the newer variants being more infectious in general, coupled with their likely ability to re-infect people who got infected early in the pandemic, along with people not practicing preventative measures because they’re all really burned out, as well as states starting to open up, giving the subliminal message that it’s “ok” to pretend the pandemic is over.

It’s not, but we are so, so, so close! Smart safety measures for ~2-4 more weeks as vaccine %s go up nationwide will go a long way towards legitimately being able to get back to normalcy by May-June

Reaction Score
Yes and no. For kids? We have wiped out kids with this approach. They weren't at risk and now they anxiety and depression among young people is at crazy levels. Would probably have been better to let them all get the disease and then go about their lives normally.

My own experience with people suffering from Alzheimer's has been that we effectively killed them via isolation. Isolation is more deadly to them than the disease. I also believe that the measures we took benefitted those who can work from home (like me) at the expense of those who can't. The essential workers out there bore the brunt of this. Was GBD the right answer? I don't know. I am 100% that what we did wasn't the right answer either.
The ramifications of shutting down the economy of, basically, the entire world for a year was never really considered or not enough.

The psychological impact of lockdowns and restrictions that are eased and tightened ad nausea still hasn't been adequately addressed.

Social isolation is hard on most people. What should have happened was doctors meeting with psychologists, economists, and sociologists to flesh out a multifaceted plan to navigate Covid that considers local and national economies as well as people's mental well-being. Right now we are one year into the new ABnormal and people's personal well-being has taken a back seat.

Experts, like doctors, are extremely useful to form policy but they NOT infallible, otherwise there wouldn't be such a large group of respected experts joining the GBD. More experts from more fields (and even average people) should have been consulted to come up with better ideas and plans on how to navigate these weird, strange times that take into account, not just health but mental, social, emotional components as well as local and global economics.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Thread devolved into too much stupidity, but jot enough time to babysit.

'Thread locked.

I'll start a new thread. Let's see how long it takes to turn to trash.

worth noting : you don't see what's been deleted, so don't whine about ... anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom