COVID Spring/Summer Round 2: Whatcha planning? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

COVID Spring/Summer Round 2: Whatcha planning?

Reaction Score
Newport in late June for a long weekend since my wife’s a teacher and after this year it’ll be nice for her to just relax, etc. Mid-July going to Myrtle Beach for our 5 year anniversary. Other than that want to get to some baseball games, breweries and enjoy being vaccinated and having very little to no concern.

Reaction Score
Flying is a breeze and has been shown to be a very safe activity.

Aircraft air is cycled every 1-2 minutes and HEPA filtered.

Either you believe the science or you're blindly throwing darts at what you think is safe.
I’ve flown a dozen times in the last 3 months. It’s as safe as anything else I’ve done. Turks a couple weeks ago, Bermuda next weekend. So good to get out and about.

Reaction Score
I’ve flown a dozen times in the last 3 months. It’s as safe as anything else I’ve done. Turks a couple weeks ago, Bermuda next weekend. So good to get out and about.

You travel the Caribbean a lot? Any recs for a month-long stay?

I have online classes for a month this summer, and I can fly anywhere there free with a few exceptions. Thinking about finding a spot to park it for a month while I do my classwork but I haven't been anywhere in the Gulf except the Bahamas and Jamaica

Reaction Score
In mid-June visiting relatives in Atlanta. Will see a Braves/Red Sox game. My brother-in-law converted his garage into a wine cellar and he has some GREAT stuff. I'll bring down some Cuban Cigars and we'll sit on the deck and relax. I'll probably play a round of golf with my nephew at the Stone Mountain course.

Then I'll meet up with my wife in Wilmington, NC at a beach resort for some surf and pool time. Another round of golf is in the offing. Not a big deal but the first vaca for a long time.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It sounds like Hans being Hans to me. That’s a busy existence, but sounds relaxing at the same time.

I’ve avoided those kinds of plans because I just don’t trust what I’ll be allowed to do. At least public bathrooms are open now. That was certainly limiting when we had no fast food or gas station rest rooms.

Today I’m doing ok after Moderna #2, just a sore arm. About to get a Covid test. The Mrs. will accompany me (which will help with my almost certain inability to hear what people tell me) and then we will stop by a local brewery. That will require ordering food I don’t need to eat unfortunately, so I am hoping they have wings we can share. I remain perplexed by the continuation of what was always a dumb policy.

Hoping for a trip to England this summer, but will need to play that by ear a bit. Expect to get some beach time at the Cape. Might check out some non Cape beaches in the South Shore, which is where the Mrs. still considers home.
(@Hey Adrien! as well)

No (intentional) irony, and kind of me being me.

While at the beach, I sat in relaxed reflection that things seem very much to be re-opening, and had the physical comfort to contemplate the coming months, so I went for it. Now that it's been written down, it doesn't clutter my head.

And yeah, what I did yesterday and today, and what I plan for tomorrow was pretty much reporting on how I'm exercising expanded freedoms.

I anticipate doing a healthy fraction of what I've imagined, because it's all grounded in what I value: family, friends, physical activity, nature, food, music, and overall kulcheral pursuits. And because it's primarily regional and relational, I'm largely unconcerned about whether things will be allowed or not.

I've got no exotic, long-distance travel on my radar. That's the realm of the unknown for me. But the possibilities in a 250 mile ring around New Haven are exceptional, and I'm grateful that I can be content doing almost anything or nearly nothing.

When I spill it all out, it does sound like overstuffed everything, which I used to try to do, but that way of living is exhausting & unnecessary. In practice, I jettison a lot.

Hope your post-Vax discomfort is minimal, and that things unfold smoothly. I liked reading that Polar Park is on your mind too.

Reaction Score
It sounds like Hans being Hans to me. That’s a busy existence, but sounds relaxing at the same time.

I’ve avoided those kinds of plans because I just don’t trust what I’ll be allowed to do. At least public bathrooms are open now. That was certainly limiting when we had no fast food or gas station rest rooms.

Today I’m doing ok after Moderna #2, just a sore arm. About to get a Covid test. The Mrs. will accompany me (which will help with my almost certain inability to hear what people tell me) and then we will stop by a local brewery. That will require ordering food I don’t need to eat unfortunately, so I am hoping they have wings we can share. I remain perplexed by the continuation of what was always a dumb policy.

Hoping for a trip to England this summer, but will need to play that by ear a bit. Expect to get some beach time at the Cape. Might check out some non Cape beaches in the South Shore, which is where the Mrs. still considers home.

Mass is still making you buy food when you get a drink? They just stopped that in NYC a few weeks ago but yeah it was annoying and dumb.

Reaction Score
Mass is still making you buy food when you get a drink? They just stopped that in NYC a few weeks ago but yeah it was annoying and dumb.
MA stops that requirement starting 5/29.

The state will also let wineries, breweries, and bars that don’t serve food reopen on May 29 — and all restaurants will no longer be required to serve food with alcohol.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I just finished a 2 night stand of gigs tonight , at same place, maskless. I’ve been hesitant to fill my schedule and have been selective so far on what I booked through the summer partly because I’m wary and partly because I’m old and got used to not hustling weekends after a 5 day a week day job during covid like I had done for the 30 years prior and it was nice. I like my couch. And my company. But I just made triple pay each night the first two nights back, compared to regular gig pay pre covid . So I guess the answer to the thread question is I’m planning more gigs .

Reaction Score
You travel the Caribbean a lot? Any recs for a month-long stay?

I have online classes for a month this summer, and I can fly anywhere there free with a few exceptions. Thinking about finding a spot to park it for a month while I do my classwork but I haven't been anywhere in the Gulf except the Bahamas and Jamaica
A fair amount, yes. But never for a month! I would say Turks or Aruba for that length of stay because the people are the friendliest and the food is most like home

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pandemic or not, wed already planned on staying close to home. Wife is likely in last year or two of lucrative employment, so when that ends we downsize and move. My job besides p/t gigs is getting the house ready for when that time comes.

I've got enough miles left for one more Euro trip. This time were looking to spend a month or more, so that'll wait till we're retired.

Reaction Score
A fair amount, yes. But never for a month! I would say Turks or Aruba for that length of stay because the people are the friendliest and the food is most like home
That's good, depending on where is home! ;)

For example, my in-laws moved to a white-washed Phoenix suburb three years ago and most of their food is like "home", as in the Midwest, personally not my favorite way to eat. Had to search around and introduce to them some off-the-beaten path places, like a Mexican restaurant owned by Mexicans, go figure!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes, until May 29th I believe. Even if it was just indoors I could almost see it. It was inspired by findings in the UK that pubs were a source of spread as people drink and stop distancing. Outdoors? Makes no sense at all. Yesterday we lucked out and the place simply didn’t have food.

So far my symptoms are sore arm. That’s it. Headache but that could be sinuses.

@August_West do you ever play in MA or RI?

Reaction Score
So far my symptoms are sore arm. That’s it. Headache but that could be sinuses.
If annual covid shots are a thing of the future (like flu shots), I gotta remember to schedule it closer to my spring allergies (oak). I'm already feeling crappy, might as well take a day in May to hang on the couch.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Have you been fishing?
What's the outlook for that?

Even if you've aged out of "fun," I'm assuming there's room for appropriately-paced joy and contentment.
So far, I've limited myself to fishing spring run stripers in the tidal Housatonic this year. Been keeping trips short (mostly 6 hours or so) and only fishing 2 or 3 days a week. But yeah, lots of topwater action, and fishing makes me feel young, which consequently allows me to have fun while doing it.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Heading to universal Orlando tomorrow with my daughter. Staying Monday thru Friday. Yesterday, they dropped the mask mandate for all outside activities at the parks. In July, going to Martha’s Vineyard to spend the week at gingerbread village. Vacations make working less awful.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm doing a Connecticut sports trifecta this weekend. Hartford Athletic tonight, Yard Goats tomorrow matinee and the CT Sun at night. All 3 sold out, it will be fun rooting for the home team again.
Two wins and a tie that was almost as good as a win. The big negative is that I didn't know that Mohegan Sun removed all the craps tables! Mission failure!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
COVID has offered great 'cover' for accessing and nurturing a more introverted nature than I'd previously recognized.
I think this is likely true for a lot of us. Definitely for me, except I am questioning how much I want to nurture it, or am I just going to use it as an excuse to avoid more social situations because I became accustomed to not being in them for so long?

I find that I am usually happier once I force myself to do the more social thing, but it may require more forcing than usual for me, at least for a while.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think this is likely true for a lot of us. Definitely for me, except I am questioning how much I want to nurture it, or am I just going to use it as an excuse to avoid more social situations because I became accustomed to not being in them for so long?

I find that I am usually happier once I force myself to do the more social thing, but it may require more forcing than usual for me, at least for a while.

Given my hearing impairment, I always preferred smaller social gatherings in less noisy places. And we have mostly done those anyway, without worrying about it. I need a little push sometimes for the other social situations, but I'm usually glad I did them. I'm thrilled with the news today that Mass is dropping the mask mandate and most other restrictions May 29th. Keeping those through summer was going to be bad for summer tourism. Looking forward to being able to converse with people in public spaces.

This changes my outlook on the summer a little bit.

Reaction Score
I live in a small HOA community - 119 houses. I'm on Sicial Committee and last summer we had to cancel most activities due to gathering restrictions.
Glad to say we are back on track this summer with our first Wine Down Friday this week at the pool. One twist - instead of everyone bringing an appetizer to share we have scheduled food trucks.
All the other things - river cruises, bunco, ball game trips, outdoor concert trips etc all back in the schedule.
Personally - going to Williamsburg for golf in June, Bahamas for UConn in November, Mexico or somewhere like that in February, Atlanta in June for Prog Power and Czech Republuc in July for Masters of Rock festival.
Retirement life back on!

Reaction Score
Travel post Vaccine/COVID is definitely less stressful. I didn't think I worried that much when I flew around last year, but I definitely notice now that I'm much more relaxed about it. I'm not worried about what others are doing anymore - since I'm no longer at risk. Aside from being vaccinated I'm super happy I had COVID (considering it was mild) and it is over with.

Reaction Score
Two wins and a tie that was almost as good as a win. The big negative is that I didn't know that Mohegan Sun removed all the craps tables! Mission failure!

Really? They pretty much debunked surface spread. That's disappointing.

Reaction Score
I just finished a 2 night stand of gigs tonight , at same place, maskless. I’ve been hesitant to fill my schedule and have been selective so far on what I booked through the summer partly because I’m wary and partly because I’m old and got used to not hustling weekends after a 5 day a week day job during covid like I had done for the 30 years prior and it was nice. I like my couch. And my company. But I just made triple pay each night the first two nights back, compared to regular gig pay pre covid . So I guess the answer to the thread question is I’m planning more gigs .
Awesome you guys had a great turn out. We are getting tons of radio silence from the places we normal played pre covid and a few places closed down. We have even offered to play for free at some of our regular places to help them back on their feet. We have a couple of parties booked this summer and we are doing a charity event for free in June but nothing else. Hoping things pick up as people get more comfortable being out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom