OT: - COVID long term lifestyle changes? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: COVID long term lifestyle changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lap dances won't ever go back to the hard grind. I miss those... (I'm kidding, I haven't been to a strip club in a decade. I hate them)

Reaction Score
Thought this was relevant. #1 and #2 are already here, those are happening right now. I think #3 is coming. Suburban and ex-urban expansion of services, including restaurants, hair salons and bars that served commuters. Will require some zoning changes to create islands of commercial within the residential, and probably more sidewalks. #4 is scary and hopefully we will not go there, and instead will find non-biometric means of facilitating this due to the massive privacy issues. I know Amazon has test stores where you walk in, walk out with items and are automatically charged. I'm iffy on #5. I certainly see digital tools supplementing traditional learning, but I think we've shown that full online learning isn't effective for K-12, especially for K-6.

I may be in the minority, but this all seems really sad to me. Even before the pandemic, the world was becoming a lonelier place - which was a direct result of this digital age. Colleagues walking down hallways with their faces glued to their phones. Nobody looking up in public transportation from their phones -- ear buds always in. Same story in the elevator. Such limited interaction between humans.

And, let's not forget everyone shopping online. No more going to the mall. Or even the grocery stores. Everything delivered to our doors.

So, the idea of working from home and potentially home schooling too is a scary one. Not because of the difficulty. But because we'd be further removing ourselves from society. Kids need to be in school to interact with others. I'm also a believer of going into the office and actually interacting with colleagues in person. It simply can't be replicated by a screen. Social media can't replace actual social interaction.

Reaction Score
And you are teaching our kids.......

Yes, of course. I definitely tell 14 year olds our country was morally bankrupt from the start. Some of you are so stupid I'm pretty sure you have to set alarms on your phone to remember to breathe. Jesus.

Are you old enough that I'm supposed to challenge you to a duel now? I'm pretty sure that's what boomers did, right?

Reaction Score
The tagline on this essay is a pretty good start.

"The boomers inherited a rich, dynamic country and have gradually bankrupted it."

But just to be clear, its not just a fiscal bankruptcy through slowly lowering taxes and cratering the middle class (redistributing money to very high earners and corporations) through deficit spending, but also a moral bankruptcy of endless wars, endless hypocrisy and the degradation of our democratic institutions and natural resources for their children and future generations.

Millennials stand to inherit over $68 trillion from Baby Boomer and early Gen X parents by the year 2030, setting them up to potentially be the most wealthy generation in U.S. history.

Reaction Score
Scan It! at Stop and Shop is a game changer. Just used it for the first time Saturday, and I am appalled that I have been shopping there for years and never bothered to check it out before.

It's a smartphone-sized scanning device that you can use to scan your items as you shop, which also means you can bag as you shop. Huge time saver. Now if I could only pay without going through checkout...
Perhaps a game changer for the delayed mobile pay adapting US, but capabilities here remain massively behind Scandinavian and other European, some east and south Asian, and even a few African countries. A decade behind+, minimalist robustness, etc.. TBF, Stop & Shop's neanderthalic Scan It! is an improvement for some open minded US Americans of widely diverse ages versus queing to pay with checks, paper currency and change, paper coupons, etc. Baby steps, albeit progress.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Scan It! at Stop and Shop is a game changer. Just used it for the first time Saturday, and I am appalled that I have been shopping there for years and never bothered to check it out before.

It's a smartphone-sized scanning device that you can use to scan your items as you shop, which also means you can bag as you shop. Huge time saver. Now if I could only pay without going through checkout...

Makes you ask why Stop and Shop has scanner technology but not the ability to pay for everything via the scanner.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Makes you ask why Stop and Shop has scanner technology but not the ability to pay for everything via the scanner.

Im curious what you do if you change your mind about something

Reaction Score
My guess is that funneling everyone through checkout allows them to implement random checks for loss prevention. I can hardly say I blame them. Even with the current system, shoplifting, or even just accidentally bagging items without scanning, is super easy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Perhaps a game changer for the delayed mobile pay adapting US, but capabilities here remain massively behind Scandinavian and other European, some east and south Asian, and even a few African countries. A decade behind+, minimalist robustness, etc.. TBF, Stop & Shop's neanderthalic Scan It! is an improvement for some open minded US Americans of widely diverse ages versus queing to pay with checks, paper currency and change, paper coupons, etc. Baby steps, albeit progress.

My wife loves the scanner. Places the items in her bags and boxes the way she wants then just checks out. But yes, the scanner itself should have tap to pay functionality. I'd like to think we gained some ground on the rest of the world, even if we remain behind. Chips and NFC are now ubiquitous in cards and most stores. Time to validate has improved dramatically as well.

Edit for @the Q there is a void button. You press void and rescan, same as they do at the register.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
My wife loves the scanner. Places the items in her bags and boxes the way she wants then just checks out. But yes, the scanner itself should have tap to pay functionality. I'd like to think we gained some ground on the rest of the world, even if we remain behind. Chips and NFC are now ubiquitous in cards and most stores. Time to validate has improved dramatically as well.

Edit for @the Q there is a void button. You press void and rescan, same as they do at the register.

Thanks!

Reaction Score
Im curious what you do if you change your mind about something
I think there's a way to "unscan" something on the device, but I also know that it can be taken care of at the register by an employee.

Reaction Score
My guess is that funneling everyone through checkout allows them to implement random checks for loss prevention. I can hardly say I blame them. Even with the current system, shoplifting, or even just accidentally bagging items without scanning, is super easy.
It sure is. I was scanning yesterday and missed the scan and put the product in the bag. When I realized that the item was not charged, I rescanned. Nobody would have caught that at the store.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Amazon already figured that out. They have all sorts of cameras and everytime you take something off the shelf it puts it on your bill. Yes, it's next generation thinking but it's out there.

Hotels have figured out how to charge you instantly for the cocktail bottles in your room's refrigerator.

Reaction Score
"if I had a dollar for every time a boomer criticized a younger generation, I'd have enough money to live in the economy they ruined" - someone on the interwebs
What am I missing here? Sounds as if you're broke either way. You could sell your Iphone. lol

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Prefer a handshake to a fist bump
My vascular surgeon went from fist bump to an elbow bump to a handshake over the course of covid. Now that CT is ranked high on the Delta list, I wonder how he'll greet my at my next follow up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My vascular surgeon went from fist bump to an elbow bump to a handshake over the course of covid. Now that CT is ranked high on the Delta list, I wonder how he'll greet my at my next follow up.

Nut bump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104