Courtney Ekmark's Dad Leaving St Mary's | The Boneyard

Courtney Ekmark's Dad Leaving St Mary's

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
says he'll partner with Nike to start a girls club program for Arizona. The move will give him more time to watch his son play HS ball.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/pre...ving-juggernaut-girls-basketball-program.html

Of particular interest to UConn fans, the story says this about Courtney:

Ekmark’s daughter Courtney is in line to return for her senior season at St. Mary’s, but has completed almost enough coursework to enroll early at the University of Connecticut, where she is committed to play basketball.

Ekmark said he’d prefer if his daughter stayed for her senior year, although that decision has yet to be made. He did say that if Courtney doesn’t leave early she’ll stay at St. Mary’s instead of transferring, even with the Knights losing five Division I recruits to graduation this past year and expecting a down year by their standards.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Last month Courtney played at a camp with the top Arizona boys players from the classes of 2014, 2015 and 2016. She was the only girl and reportedly played very well:

While the camp featured all boy’s prospects, one top-rated girl’s prospect in the state also joined the action, as St. Mary’s HS star 6-foot-1 junior guard/forward Courtney Ekmark (UCONN commit) also participated in the day’s event.

“The UCONN staff told her that they want her playing against boys as much as possible,” said St. Mary’s HS head coach Curtis Ekmark after the event. Ekmark’s son, Andrew Ekmark, a top-rated freshman guard from Phoenix Country Day also participated in the event and played very well throughout the day.

Courtney Ekmark played very strong during the day and was among the finalists for the selection to the big camp. While the camp does not include girls prospects, Ekmark still made a strong case for herself in Sunday’s event.

http://arizonapreps.com/arizona-reebok-classic-open-run-names-camp-finalists

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Last month Courtney played at a camp with the top Arizona boys players from the classes of 2014, 2015 and 2016. She was the only girl and reportedly played very well:

While the camp featured all boy’s prospects, one top-rated girl’s prospect in the state also joined the action, as St. Mary’s HS star 6-foot-1 junior guard/forward Courtney Ekmark (UCONN commit) also participated in the day’s event.

“The UCONN staff told her that they want her playing against boys as much as possible,” said St. Mary’s HS head coach Curtis Ekmark after the event. Ekmark’s son, Andrew Ekmark, a top-rated freshman guard from Phoenix Country Day also participated in the event and played very well throughout the day.

Courtney Ekmark played very strong during the day and was among the finalists for the selection to the big camp. While the camp does not include girls prospects, Ekmark still made a strong case for herself in Sunday’s event.

http://arizonapreps.com/arizona-reebok-classic-open-run-names-camp-finalists

Early enrollment for football players is common. Coaches like to get the players in to bulk them up. Since the football season is over, I think practicing or working out with team is okay. I dont know much about early enrollment for WBB players, as you would be joining in season. Would she be allowed to practice with the team?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Early enrollment for football players is common. Coaches like to get the players in to bulk them up. Since the football season is over, I think practicing or working out with team is okay. I dont know much about early enrollment for WBB players, as you would be joining in season. Would she be allowed to practice with the team?

I think the question is whether she should take whatever classes are necessary over the summer to fulfill her high school requirements and then enroll as a freshman in the fall and play in the upcoming season. Thus it wouldn't be comparable to football players who enroll in January.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wow, Ekmark as a freshman in 2013 seems to be a real possibility.

If she can take a few courses and graduate, why not? Not sure what she would gain with her dad leaving.

Interesting.

Reaction Score
Forgive my ignorance here, but what is club basketball?

And I wonder if the UCONN coaching staff would want her in 2013 or if it would suit them better to keep her in the 2014 class?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

And I wonder if the UCONN coaching staff would want her in 2013 or if it would suit them better to keep her in the 2014 class?
I would bet that 2013 is the preference and they are doing what they can to facilitate this.

A class of Ekmark and Chong would be excellent and they would still have 7 scholarships for 2014 (I think).

Reaction Score
We could use the depth. But if they don't feel she's ready, she could redshirt and learn during practice.

Reaction Score
Great idea, going into a season with 8 1/2 healthy players is risky

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I'm assuming the poster meant Banks, because if she had her surgery in March, depending on how her rehab goes, she might not be 100 percent at the beginning of the season. But six months is usually the norm, so I would assume that by October/November she is at least practicing at full strength.

Or maybe they just meant MoJeff, because she's short. I wouldn't count her as half, though!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

What the UConn staff's wants will be secondary to what Courtney and her parents think is best for her. Courtney is already 18 years old, the same age as many 2013 kids. She said she's a late bloomer physically so the extra year may help her get even stronger. The fact that Curtis wants her to stay for her senior year while acknowledging that a final decision hasn't been made suggests that Courtney may want her UConn career to begin this fall. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do.

Reaction Score
For the life of me, I can't figure out what 1 1/2 player won't be healthy.

I count 8 scholarship players returning, plus Chong....... obviously Banks isn't 100% yet

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Courtney wanted to be at UConn when she committed. I suspect she is pushing this idea. With Curtis leaving St. Mary's, I think the chances that she pulls a Mike Gminski (who went from Masuk High to Duke after his junior year in 1977) just jumped appreciably.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Fascinating to think about the circumstances surrounding his decision, and certainly will give UCONN fans much to think about and discuss over the summer. If she's physically and mentally ready, I'd LOVE to see her suit up this coming year. Worst case scenario, she redshirts if she's not needed and gets even better for her following year than she would have staying in high school.

Reaction Score
Courtney wanted to be at UConn when she committed. I suspect she is pushing this idea. With Curtis leaving St. Mary's, I think the chances that she pulls a Mike Gminski (who went from Masuk High to Duke after his junior year in 1977) just jumped appreciably.

images

Is this the Golden Girls board ? Gminski was a long time ago

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
hmmm, this could be very interesting. Though it seems like a big "jump in the deep end" situation. No way to know if she is really ready for that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
AAU normally. Travel teams. Basketball teams outside of the school set-up. Teams that play in the Nike, Adidas, Boo Williams type tournaments.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming the poster meant Banks, because if she had her surgery in March, depending on how her rehab goes, she might not be 100 percent at the beginning of the season. But six months is usually the norm, so I would assume that by October/November she is at least practicing at full strength.

Or maybe they just meant MoJeff, because she's short. I wouldn't count her as half, though!

Walk on, Pope, apparently not counted. She should be counted.

HGN

Reaction Score
I would bet that 2013 is the preference and they are doing what they can to facilitate this.

A class of Ekmark and Chong would be excellent and they would still have 7 scholarships for 2014 (I think).
A 2 player class of Ekmark and Chong would be good if it could be worked out. More quality depth on a team that will need it. And at 6'0 she could play both the 2-guard and some SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom