Courtney Ekmark's Dad Leaving St Mary's | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Courtney Ekmark's Dad Leaving St Mary's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A 2 player class of Ekmark and Chong would be good if it could be worked out. More quality depth on a team that will need it. And at 6'0 she could play both the 2-guard and some SF.

Why hurry CE? The issue of depth strikes me as being an overreach and undue concern. Lineup includes 3 who've already received some AA recognition, 2 more who are on USA teams as we speak and one who might improve dramatically now that she knows she's 'too cute' as well as 1 who is thought to be recovering nicely, 1 who's coming in highly accomplished and 1 who just might be under appreciated.

Oh, and did I mention a likely #1 preseason ranking.

I suggest standing pat.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am comfortable with Courtney deciding either way. Academically, she is unquestionably ready for UConn. She wants to be there. Her dad will be coaching elsewhere. She'll learn more basketball in Storrs than Arizona. If need be, redshirt her and let her earn a graduate degree. She could be like Emeka and Kemba and complete her UConn degree early. I can see her as a starting guard and Ph.D. candidate. :)

But I like the class balance if she is in 2013. And it may help our 2014 recruiting if she comes early. For example, Sierra Calhoun may prefer being the only 2/3 in the class of 2014.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Why hurry CE? The issue of depth strikes me as being an overreach and undue concern. Lineup includes 3 who've already received some AA recognition, 2 more who are on USA teams as we speak and one who might improve dramatically now that she knows she's 'too cute' as well as 1 who is thought to be recovering nicely, 1 who's coming in highly accomplished and 1 who just might be under appreciated.

Oh, and did I mention a likely #1 preseason ranking.

I suggest standing pat.
She is age ready, she is an academic star so she is likely ready for that part of the experience and is very close in credits and she is basketball ready by all accounts. Nothing ventured and nothing gained and next to nothing lost by arriving early from her point of view. Her high school experience will not be the same this year with all the graduations and she may not progress much under a new coach wanting to establish his or her own program.

Of course, the decision is her and her parents' and as long as they are comfortable I say go for it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We got a walk-on? I should check this board more often. . .
Yep. From Avery Point.

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2012/12/10/sports/uconn/689390.txt

Becca%20Pope%202011-12.jpg

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Here is my gut feeling. CE will enroll at UConn early. Why? Well, the biggest tip was her dad leaving St. Marys. The graduation of 5 division one players from St. Marys doesn't do much to entice CE to stay. She is 18 years old...that makes her a year older than I was when I went to college. I turned 18 in November of my freshmen year. She is academically accomplished and she has completed her required course work. The prospects of St. Marys having a good year are not good as this is expected to be a rebuilding year. Why put everything on her shoulders and run the risk of her getting injured trying to do to much. UConn coaching staff will accelerate her growth. UConn needs the depth this year and I suspect that it has been communicated to CE. While it is true that her father prefers her to stay another year in high school he appears to be open to letting CE make the decision. My guess is she will enroll early...everything favors it.

Reaction Score
No offense to Courtney. We could use the depth. However, Kaleena and Breanna certainly had their difficulties freshman year. While talented, Courtney's not quite at their level. You only get one chance to be in high school, one chance to walk across the stage to receive your diploma, and being St. Mary's, I don't know if they have a senior prom, but if they do, only one chance to go. Courtney may be looking at the chance to earn three or four championships. She shouldn't rush it.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
She is age ready, she is an academic star so she is likely ready for that part of the experience and is very close in credits and she is basketball ready by all accounts. Nothing ventured and nothing gained and next to nothing lost by arriving early from her point of view. Her high school experience will not be the same this year with all the graduations and she may not progress much under a new coach wanting to establish his or her own program.

Of course, the decision is her and her parents' and as long as they are comfortable I say go for it.

Ice....didn't you call this(leaving early) awhile ago, or am I wrong?

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
No offense to Courtney. We could use the depth. However, Kaleena and Breanna certainly had their difficulties freshman year. While talented, Courtney's not quite at their level. You only get one chance to be in high school, one chance to walk across the stage to receive your diploma, and being St. Mary's, I don't know if they have a senior prom, but if they do, only one chance to go. Courtney may be looking at the chance to earn three or four championships. She shouldn't rush it.

I agree with everything you say. But it's Courtney's life and her decision, and she may be more eager to get to UConn -- and play with Stewie, Kaleena, Stef et al and possibly win a national championship next spring (now that's an exciting prospect!) -- than to enjoy her senior year in high school. We'll learn her choice soon enough, I suppose.

Reaction Score
I like that her father is letting her decide. Shows he trusts her judgment and also that he isn't pushing her one way or another despite his own preference. I've seen where that can lead. :rolleyes:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Man, I would love it! I think she is really ready, and watched her basketball is my life video again today.

Reaction Score
Forgive my ignorance here, but what is club basketball?

And I wonder if the UCONN coaching staff would want her in 2013 or if it would suit them better to keep her in the 2014 class?

dtfan, to answer your question:

In my experience, club basketball is generally made up of players that love the game of basketball living in the same neighborhood/community. These club teams can play throughout the year and are either sponsored by some sneaker company or sport drink company that would allow the club to travel to play other club teams. This type of travel creates exposure and the opportunity to pay against other quality players from different cities.

This started out as church leagues but now its called clubs. It's also broken down by age, grade, skill and gender but there are some clubs that are co-ed. Hope this answers your question.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I am not smart or wise enough to advise, or even consider, what she should do...I do not know her, her family, or her maturity and life situation.

Reaction Score
I am not smart or wise enough to advise, or even consider, what she should do...I do not know her, her family, or her maturity and life situation.

Where is the horde on this story? It's a potential landmark occurrence in WCBB. Wonder if Geno and CD have spread the word to sit tight while CE wrestles with the decision . . . .

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

To begin with the chances of CE winning another state championship this year is rather remote. Secondly, CE can always go back next year and walk with her class...not that she may even want to after a year at college. Thirdly, at 18, with the level of play she currently plays at she has as much of a chance of contributing in her first year as anybody. Lastly, my son went to the Senior prom with his girlfriend who was a senior while he was a freshman at Yale University. No one is rushing anything...she has completed the course work what is in it for her. Her team mates have graduated leaving her to shoulder the responsibility...maybe she has more to gain by learing from the UConn coaching staff. Her coach (her father) has moved on...leaving her to play for a different coach in her senior year without much chance of a state championship or she can play for a new coach and have a chance for a national championship....and you think that there is something sacrosanct about staying in high school for another year...really?

U

UCONNfan1

I agree with everything you say. But it's Courtney's life and her decision, and she may be more eager to get to UConn -- and play with Stewie, Kaleena, Stef et al and possibly win a national championship next spring (now that's an exciting prospect!) -- than to enjoy her senior year in high school. We'll learn her choice soon enough, I suppose.
Additionally, isn't a redshirt technically possible? Were she to enroll early and realize it would be more a struggle than she anticipated, she could always redshirt, and start playing only if someone is injured.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Why not get a good year as a freshie under your belt now, and then be ready to flourish in the soph year?!

Reaction Score
Additionally, isn't a redshirt technically possible? Were she to enroll early and realize it would be more a struggle than she anticipated, she could always redshirt, and start playing only if someone is injured.

I think Ekmark should come in this year, and plan to red-shirt. If there are injuries, or if she works her way into the top 8 then cancel the red-shirt plans.

Ekmark as a 5th year senior could be a All American candidate.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ice....didn't you call this(leaving early) awhile ago, or am I wrong?
I'm not sure what Ice was thinking or sharing, but I mentioned this to Eric almost a year ago. I didn't want to post anything, because it was purely speculative at that time. I was just brainstorming how to get more players in 2013, as our recruiting targets were committing elsewhere and Geno still insisted that we'd get 3 kids. We wondered what he had up his sleeve, such as JUCOs, transfers, or foreign players. I knew Courtney was academically top-notch and was anxious to get to UConn. Recalling the Gminski recruiting coup, I thought this was a possibility, though a remote one. Given Curtis's new coaching gig, I think there's a 60-70% chance that Courtney is on campus by August 2013.

Reaction Score
Early enrollment for football players is common. Coaches like to get the players in to bulk them up. Since the football season is over, I think practicing or working out with team is okay. I dont know much about early enrollment for WBB players, as you would be joining in season. Would she be allowed to practice with the team?
Jarnell Stokes a basketball player at Tennessee enrolled at UT early in 2012 http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...e-jarnell-stokes-to-bolster-tennessee-program
and also Georgia Tech's MBB Solomon Poole did the same this year http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-bask...le-could-join-the-yellow-jackets-this-season/

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Mike Gminski completed Masuk High School in three years, then went on to a successful college career at Duke.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
St Mary's has hired Curtis Ekmark's replacement: Former WNBA player Coco Miller. No word yet on whether twin sister Kelly will be her assistant coach.

Reaction Score
I didn't know if there were many HS coaches CE could learn much useful from, but Coco certainly makes the grade in that respect.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Of course it should be her informed decision, but she has all the time in the world to grow up. It would be nice if she could enjoy her senior year of HS, because she will never get that back. Whatever she decides, Huskies will be fine either way -- me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom