Could Purvis be leaving? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Could Purvis be leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rodney does have a chance ,with a good year ,to get drafted next year.
Respectfully disagree. Rodney's game will not translate to the NBA. He is very limited. Set shot 3 or drive right to the rim. Barring other-worldly improvement, he just doesn't have a skill set that is going to work there.

Reaction Score
Rodney is an excellent defender and a pretty good scorer, but he doesn't really have the length to play the 2 in the NBA. Nothing wrong with making nice $ overseas if it comes to that.

Reaction Score
He's probably going to leave, so my advice would be to not worry about who's leaving and focus on who's going to step up.
Where is he going, not to the NBA?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Where is he going, not to the NBA?
People are convinced he'll leave to go play overseas, which in my opinion is ridiculous and will not happen. He'd be an idiot to do that. The keys to the team are in his hands, and I'm sure he's well aware that leading a successful NCAA team will greatly increase his earning potential.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People are convinced he'll leave to go play overseas, which in my opinion is ridiculous and will not happen. He'd be an idiot to do that. They keys to the team are in his hands, and I'm sure he's well aware that leading a successful NCAA team will greatly increase his earning potential.
Yea he'd be an idiot to maximize his earning potential as a basketball player while having his uconn degree in his back pocket.

He's already old for his class he is not going to boost his stock by staying. If he stays awesome but if he leaves it's completely understandable

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Yea he'd be an idiot to maximize his earning potential as a basketball player while having his uconn degree in his back pocket.

He's already old for his class he is not going to boost his stock by staying. If he stays awesome but if he leaves it's completely understandable
Yes he is. He can absolutely play his way into being a first round pick.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
People are convinced he'll leave to go play overseas, which in my opinion is ridiculous and will not happen. He'd be an idiot to do that. They keys to the team are in his hands, and I'm sure he's well aware that leading a successful NCAA team will greatly increase his earning potential.

An Idiot???

I want Rodney to stay because I think he could have a very special season, but let's not be ridiculous.

If he chooses to come back he is delaying his professional career by a year, and playing for free. He risks a career ending injury.

If he decides to play overseas he is going to be making good $$$ to play basketball. How does that make him an idiot? If he graduates this season I don't see how you can fault him for doing this.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. Rodney's game will not translate to the NBA. He is very limited. Set shot 3 or drive right to the rim. Barring other-worldly improvement, he just doesn't have a skill set that is going to work there.

I disagree. I think you put him with the right point guard and he can catch oops and back door cuts to the hoop for a ton of easy bucks in the NBA. I dont think he's starter material, but i think he can find a spot on a bench in the right system. Lucking out and getting into that system is the hard part, but i def think he can contribute at the pro level.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
An Idiot???

I want Rodney to stay because I think he could have a very special season, but let's not be ridiculous.

If he chooses to come back he is delaying his professional career by a year, and playing for free. He risks a career ending injury.

If he decides to play overseas he is going to be making good $$$ to play basketball. How does that make him an idiot? If he graduates this season I don't see how you can fault him for doing this.
Maybe idiot is too harsh a word, sure. Yeah, I wouldn't fault him if he left. I just don't think it would be the right decision.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I think you put him with the right point guard and he can catch oops and back door cuts to the hoop for a ton of easy bucks in the NBA. I dont think he's starter material, but i think he can find a spot on a bench in the right system. Lucking out and getting into that system is the hard part, but i def think he can contribute at the pro level.
The guy has trouble finishing plays at the rim in college dude.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Purv wants to play in the NBA, which is all these ballers dream, I don't think that he is at that skill level in all areas now. I fully understand the age issue, but, without the overall game, age don't mean crap.
If he is going to be playing overseas for the $ there, another year at UConn isn't going to hurt him at this point. Many players who lingered in the D league for several years go overseas.
Would I like him back? Yes, but that is for my personal selfish reasons because with Purv back, this could be a very fine season. I feel that if he comes back, he will work with KO on the things he needs to give him the best shot at making the best run for Purv to get in the league. This will not do anything but help Purv, skill wise, in the long run.
The injury thing could bite any player at any time.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
@gtcam I agree. If he wants to play in the NBA he should come back, but if he chooses to go make money playing ball right now that doesn't mean he is an idiot.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
If Purv wants to play in the NBA, which is all these ballers dream, I don't think that he is at that skill level in all areas now. I fully understand the age issue, but, without the overall game, age don't mean crap.
If he is going to be playing overseas for the $ there, another year at UConn isn't going to hurt him at this point. Many players who lingered in the D league for several years go overseas.
Would I like him back? Yes, but that is for my personal selfish reasons because with Purv back, this could be a very fine season. I feel that if he comes back, he will work with KO on the things he needs to give him the best shot at making the best run for Purv to get in the league. This will not do anything but help Purv, skill wise, in the long run.
The injury thing could bite any player at any time.
Thank you for saying more eloquently what I was trying to say

Reaction Score
The guy has trouble finishing plays at the rim in college dude.

Thats taking people off of the dribble with a defense that has a chance to get in his way and bother his attack. I'm talking about running without the ball and getting a pick and roll pass ala Jason kidd and richard Jefferson. Jefferson was made to look way better than he was because of the pg he was playing with imo. I think Purvis would be great without the ball if he has a pg that can make that pass at just the right time where he can catch it and have a clear path to an uncontested dunk or layup.

Reaction Score
I think Purvis would be great without the ball if he has a pg that can make that pass at just the right time where he can catch it and have a clear path to an uncontested dunk or layup.
I'm pretty sure you just described a scenario in which every decent college basketball player would be great. I think the NBA wants players who can be great beyond having a point guard that can get them uncontested dunks or layups.

I don't even know what to say about the Richard Jefferson comparison.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you just described a scenario in which every decent college basketball player would be great. I think the NBA wants players who can be great beyond having a point guard that can get them uncontested dunks or layups.

I don't even know what to say about the Richard Jefferson comparison.

Not trying to compare their games... more their slashing, ability to move without the ball and athleticism. We can agree to disagree. I personally dont think most players in the NCAA can look better in the NBA with a good pg... I think RP's skill set would work good slashing and in the open court with a pg that could get him the ball at the right time, thats all. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Reaction Score
I am sure not in the majority here (probably 1 out of 10,000 Boneyard posters here at the site)....and this will probably make me even less popular as a BY poster than I already am (and honestly that is VERY heartbreaking to say the least) BUT BUT BUT why wouldn't the majority of kids in the position Rodney is in right now take full inventory of their personal situation as a student athlete and try and evaluate ALL options including a Grad Transfer? With all the leverage coaches have to move on with short notice... in my opinion players in RP's position should be very patient when deciding their next move. I guess my point is of course we all like to preach the family aspect of our program ect ect...and the lasting benefits of such a thing BUT who is to say there might not be a better fit for Rodney Purvis at another college.

There is no question a very nice piece of the rotation next year could include Purvis. As a matter of fact the team is better with him than without him. Maybe the difference between winning 1 or 2 games in the NCAA Tournament or being ranked in the back half of the Top 25 next year for a good part of the season. If Purvis were to announce a Grad Transfer you have to think some interest would be there. I could be way off on my thoughts here but if it were me with one more year of eligibility that could potentially be used anywhere I would deliberate on that 1. UConn could very well be the ideal place to finish his career if he bypasses overseas. I hope he stays because we do need him BUT....

If this type of discussion is inappropriate please delete my post. My intentions are sincere. Anyways feel free to throw as many water balloons as you want at me.

Reaction Score
I am sure not in the majority here (probably 1 out of 10,000 Boneyard posters here at the site)....and this will probably make me even less popular as a BY poster than I already am (and honestly that is VERY heartbreaking to say the least) BUT BUT BUT why wouldn't the majority of kids in the position Rodney is in right now take full inventory of their personal situation as a student athlete and try and evaluate ALL options including a Grad Transfer? With all the leverage coaches have to move on with short notice... in my opinion players in RP's position should be very patient when deciding their next move. I guess my point is of course we all like to preach the family aspect of our program ect ect...and the lasting benefits of such a thing BUT who is to say there might not be a better fit for Rodney Purvis at another college.

There is no question a very nice piece of the rotation next year could include Purvis. As a matter of fact the team is better with him than without him. Maybe the difference between winning 1 or 2 games in the NCAA Tournament or being ranked in the back half of the Top 25 next year for a good part of the season. If Purvis were to announce a Grad Transfer you have to think some interest would be there. I could be way off on my thoughts here but if it were me with one more year of eligibility that could potentially be used anywhere I would deliberate on that 1. UConn could very well be the ideal place to finish his career if he bypasses overseas. I hope he stays because we do need him BUT....

If this type of discussion is inappropriate please delete my post. My intentions are sincere. Anyways feel free to throw as many water balloons as you want at me.
What positives do you think he gets from transferring? He's getting huge minutes next year at UCONN and loves it here from all indications.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

There is absolutely no chance Purvis transfers.

Reaction Score
What positives do you think he gets from transferring? He's getting huge minutes next year at UCONN and loves it here from all indications.

I don't know. Could it be analogous to buying a new house in a new neighborhood for a player in RP's position? In my opinion it is always easier for an extrovert to adapt to the social dynamics (team/campus life) of change. My assumption being that Rodney fits that profile. I am not saying leaving would be in his best interests. In my opinion not considering that option from a basketball perspective could be 1 he regrets. Operative words here "not considering". The overseas option more likely than not would be the more appealing route. It really is just me trying to put myself in his shoes as a 23 year old with options that I would never have again the rest of my life. I agree there have been no signs at all that he doesn't love everything about the UConn experience including the fans. Sometimes it is interesting to think about life in general and circumstances that are only before you once in a lifetime. That goes for any player or any coach. Sometimes I just think the loyalty concept is overrated. Not that I am on point even addressing loyalty in this context.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I don't know. Could it be analogous to buying a new house in a new neighborhood for a player in RP's position? In my opinion it is always easier for an extrovert to adapt to the social dynamics (team/campus life) of change. My assumption being that Rodney fits that profile. I am not saying leaving would be in his best interests. In my opinion not considering that option from a basketball perspective could be 1 he regrets. Operative words here "not considering". The overseas option more likely than not would be the more appealing route. It really is just me trying to put myself in his shoes as a 23 year old with options that I would never have again the rest of my life. I agree there have been no signs at all that he doesn't love everything about the UConn experience including the fans. Sometimes it is interesting to think about life in general and circumstances that are only before you once in a lifetime. That goes for any player or any coach. Sometimes I just think the loyalty concept is overrated. Not that I am on point even addressing loyalty in this context.
If he transferred it wouldn't be to a school better than UConn. He won't get more playing time anywhere else than he will at UConn next year. He'll have to adapt to a new campus, new friends, new coaches, new basketball philosophy, and essentially be a freshman on a new campus.

Reaction Score
I still can't figure out if you think there is a benefit to Purvis transferring, and what that benefit would be. And no, it's not analogous to buying a new house in a new neighborhood.

Reaction Score
I still can't figure out if you think there is a benefit to Purvis transferring, and what that benefit would be. And no, it's not analogous to buying a new house in a new neighborhood.

Fair enough....

The BY is a great college hoops message board. You guys do a great job. I hope we get a great RP next year. We most likely will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom