CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think there’s been an infusion of men’s board posters
GIF by Got Talent Global

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't do men's basketball and don't read men's boards.

But years ago I attended a Rutgers Men's game in the NIT semis at the Garden. The crowd was completely different from what I am used to in women's sports. There are (rarely) individual fans at women's games from that environment and they tend to stick out.

So Nan has doubtless nailed some of the over-the-top (in a not pleasing way) posters.

Reaction Score
I hear from people that are terrified to post for fear of being ridiculed or embarrassed. There are a LOT of people that have told me that. They tell me that they feel intimidated into silence by some of our more aggressive posters. And that’s a shame.

Before replying to a poster with some kind of withering comment, please consider that the poster might be “just a fan”, not an analyst, not interested in studying box scores and stats, just a fan that loves the team. Maybe they don’t know the difference between a matchup zone or a box and one and they wouldn’t be able to recognize a moving screen but they nevertheless love the team and love to watch the games.

Generally speaking, these are older folks that don’t read other fan forums and aren’t used to the rough and tumble arguments that can sprout up on boards. They want to be adoring fans that see perfect passes and beautiful shots. They don’t want to be corrected, to have the error of their ways pointed out by some know-it-all that feels its their job to let people know when they’re wrong, wrong, wrong.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a homer. Go for it, guys, love the team and enjoy the terrific young women you root for.

The favor I would like is to wait a second before hitting Post Thread. Are you annoyed by a poster’s naïveté and lack of knowledge of X’s and O’s? Wait a sec and ask yourself “Would I mind someone saying this to my Dad/Granddad?”. Maybe you could turn it into a teaching moment rather than a scathing put down. Please, just think first.
Thank you for that - you have spoken for many of us

Reaction Score
I’m just pleased as punch to be part of this community. It’s the culture that I have been searching for. We root for the best program maybe in the history of sports. Are we cheerleaders .....yes, and I’m damn proud to admit. It hurts me to the core when anyone takes issue with that. And to be quite honest about it, some posts here have forced me to start a happy Hour way before I should.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
You will definitely find obnoxious trolls on the BY.

Fortunately, there are some folks on the BY that have amazing communication skills and generate excellent content or have good information about the kids.

I've been bitched at for my spelling on the BY more than once. Being dyslexic for 65 years and not always having my wife close enough to tell me how to spell words like "Fortunately", I'm good with ignore.

CL82

Reaction Score
So let me offer this opinion, for whatever it’s worth. Keep in mind that when you post on any forum, you are inviting commentary. That’s pretty much the point of it. If someone has a different opinion than you, don’t be offended by it. In the end we are all fans of the same team and all want the same things. Differing opinions are not a personal attack on you. It doesn’t mean that the other poster is dumb, or insensitive. It just means that you view a single issue differently.

The woman’s board does a good job of maintaining civility, but you have to have at least a little bit of a thick skin to post on the Internet. I encourage everyone who is lurking to offer their opinions and insights. That’s what makes this forum interesting. Just be aware though, people may disagree with you and that’s fine if it happens.

Reaction Score
I hear from people that are terrified to post for fear of being ridiculed or embarrassed. There are a LOT of people that have told me that. They tell me that they feel intimidated into silence by some of our more aggressive posters. And that’s a shame.

Before replying to a poster with some kind of withering comment, please consider that the poster might be “just a fan”, not an analyst, not interested in studying box scores and stats, just a fan that loves the team. Maybe they don’t know the difference between a matchup zone or a box and one and they wouldn’t be able to recognize a moving screen but they nevertheless love the team and love to watch the games.

Generally speaking, these are older folks that don’t read other fan forums and aren’t used to the rough and tumble arguments that can sprout up on boards. They want to be adoring fans that see perfect passes and beautiful shots. They don’t want to be corrected, to have the error of their ways pointed out by some know-it-all that feels its their job to let people know when they’re wrong, wrong, wrong.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a homer. Go for it, guys, love the team and enjoy the terrific young women you root for.

The favor I would like is to wait a second before hitting Post Thread. Are you annoyed by a poster’s naïveté and lack of knowledge of X’s and O’s? Wait a sec and ask yourself “Would I mind someone saying this to my Dad/Granddad?”. Maybe you could turn it into a teaching moment rather than a scathing put down. Please, just think first.
Thanks Nan. I rarely post anymore because of this and some of the snide comments I get in the chat room.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well all I can say is thank you Nan. Ive been on this board, the ESPN board both Tenn boards and there are people who post to this board that have more connections then the phone company. Some new poster who I dont know knock them. Sometimes really nasty. If they only knew. Understand something for those of you who think you know everything. You dont know who's on the other end of a post. You can be brave hideing behind your screen name and think you somebody. I have learned over the past 25+ years arguing with posters that they just might be Muffet Mcgraw or another head coach of a team or they may be a sports writer or a recruiter from another college or a number 1 HS POY parent or coach and you could blow the chance for a recruit to come to UConn. Trust me I know. Ive been there. Treat all posters with respect because you never know who your chatting with. If you have any questions contact me. If you on my email list email me.

Go Huskies

Tonyc

Reaction Score

Perfectly stated Beth...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So let me offer this opinion, for whatever it’s worth. Keep in mind that when you post on any forum, you are inviting commentary. That’s pretty much the point of it. If someone has a different opinion than you, don’t be offended by it. In the end we are all fans of the same team and all want the same things. Differing opinions are not a personal attack on you. It doesn’t mean that the other poster is dumb, or insensitive. It just means that you view a single issue differently.

The woman’s board does a good job of maintaining civility, but you have to have at least a little bit of a thick skin to post on the Internet. I encourage everyone who is lurking to offer their opinions and insights. That’s what makes this forum interesting. Just be aware though, people may disagree with you and that’s fine if it happens.
I have no issue with disagreements. My issue is with people that start a response with “That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever read“ or “Did you actually watch the game?” kind of comment. Why do that? It adds nothing to the conversation

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m just pleased as punch to be part of this community. It’s the culture that I have been searching for. We root for the best program maybe in the history of sports. Are we cheerleaders .....yes, and I’m damn proud to admit. It hurts me to the core when anyone takes issue with that. And to be quite honest about it, some posts here have forced me to start a happy Hour way before I should.
Next time you do, pour me one too, I'll join you. :p

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Well said CL !!!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thanks Nan. I rarely post anymore because of this and some of the snide comments I get in the chat room.

Yeah... I've peaked into the chat room a few times..... whew boy.... its rough in there
hide-1.gif
hide-1.gif
hide-1.gif
hide-1.gif
I had to escape it during the High Point game

Reaction Score
Totally respect what Nan is asking here and got a slap on the wrist from her years ago myself. She was 100% correct but I did not realize it beforehand, I made a snark remark and I got what I deserved in her reply.

I follow most all UConn sports and have for decades. The modern world of the internet and all the forums and boards present a modern day problem. First it is meant to be a simple conversation or debate but not everyone and often few can put their conversation into prose. I frequently preface many comments with this is not an attack because so many take any difference of opinion as an attack on theirs. In defense this creates folks now bringing up stats and facts to back their earlier comment.

Although I have followed the UConn women since you could get into their game if you had a ticket to the men playing after. It did not occur to me when coming to The Boneyard that it contained a dozen or so forums just like bars on a Main St. That and each one you walked into had a different vibe, atmosphere and style of conversation. Each having it's own clique and their level of snark, banter or trash talk. It took awhile but I now get you don't talk in the women's basketball forum the same way you would the football forum or men's basketball or baseball for that matter.

I do agree with those that feel we should be able to agree to disagree in a respectful fashion though. After all that is what most family's do. ;)

Reaction Score
I followed the Board for about three years before joining. I'm a UCONN WBB fan since '94. I've followed the team every year and regularly re-watch games from past seasons. I played three sports in high school (one was basketball) and played in college. My children were all three sport HS athletes (two were girl's basketball players) and all three played in college.

I followed BB on all levels until the men's game stopped being about sport and became primarily about spectacle. I know the game pretty well. I only post when I have something to say and when I think that what I do say will make some sort of contribution to the discussion at hand. I will say that the level of conversation here on the BY elevated my appreciation for the game and I genuinely enjoyed reading most of the posts.

But the tone here has changed. Maybe that was inevitable. Look at how talk radio has spiraled downward. I didn't post during the stretch run this year, and until now I haven't contributed this off season. It's not because I was abused by a fellow poster; it's because the level of conversation in many posts is not conducive to outside opinions.

Like several have said, I check the Board everyday and all my new information about recruits, transfers, coaching changes, injuries and the upcoming schedule is garnered here. But this is not as easy a place as it once was to have a friendly chat. I'm not going anywhere; this is still the best show we have. It's just not quite like it was.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this Nan. Maybe we could add snark/sarcasm to the "think first" list. Seen a few "guess you didn't see my emoji" excuses lately.
The snark and disrespectful tone and foul language of a couple posters really turned me off ~ thanks for making this post ~ hope it helps.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Come on over. I am always well supplied in a variety of bourbons. Selected whiskeys too. Several small batch brands. The wife says I need a cabinet just for the bourbons! A man needs his passions!

Straight up or on the rocks - your choice.

Reaction Score
(Nan even posted a chest sheet last year)
I am absolutely shocked that HuskyNan would post a chest sheet on this board.
I think that should get an automatic lifetime suspension.;):confused::cool:

Three years on the BY after years as a lurker. We’ve lost some excellent posters in recent years but it remains a great site for those of us who love UConn WBB.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've been around this board for 23 years and it's evolved into a tactic to belittle any poster who DARES say anything that goes against 'rah-rah our girls fandom.'

For instance, this past season I got a "we're doomed" reply to one of my posts criticizing free throws and missed layups in a BE game. Well, that certainly came back to bite us against Arizona, did it not?
No, not really. 70% isn't terrible. Even at 100% we'd have still lost.

CL82

Reaction Score
Come on over. I am always well supplied in a variety of bourbons. Selected whiskeys too. Several small batch brands. The wife says I need a cabinet just for the bourbons! A man needs his passions!

Straight up or on the rocks - your choice.
Um, is that offer open to anyone?

Reaction Score
AAAGH! Jesus.

Boards work because they provide a platform where an exchange of ideas, opinions, agreements and disagreements can take place.

If someone posts a bunch of nonsense, I think it is okay to address that.

What a boring place this will be if everyone just posts their opinion.

Anyway: The self-described timid can just read on and let others drive the bus.

I'll bet, there are a few on here that will jump on me for this.

Fair Play - Have at it!

BigMick, perhaps your's was an imbedded reflexive remark but Jesus has nothing to do with this. Please consider your use of what is considered by many others to be blasphemous. Thank you.

CL82

Reaction Score
I've been around this board for 23 years and it's evolved into a tactic to belittle any poster who DARES say anything that goes against 'rah-rah our girls fandom.'

For instance, this past season I got a "we're doomed" reply to one of my posts criticizing free throws and missed layups in a BE game. Well, that certainly came back to bite us against Arizona, did it not?
“We’re doomed” is typically a response to an overly optimistic post in an attempt to placate the mojo which hates overconfidence. It is a running theme over on the men’s board that has drifted over here. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a commentary on your free-throw critiquing.

Reaction Score

Thank you, Nan. Well said.
Perhaps the same pause before you post caution could be advised when it comes to criticizing the young players who are trying their best while playing and balancing their academic goals. Civility should be the rule of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom