Corey Floyd on the Circuit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Corey Floyd on the Circuit

Reaction Score
This is more great scouting/recruiting by Hurley. He honed in on him early and got the commitment from him early over Justice Williams who was ranked way higher and I'm convinced Floyd is better than.

Reaction Score
Corey will be unstoppable (inside 15ft of basket) once he creates some explosion in his lift/fast twitch muscles.. Uses his body so well on the offensive end..

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Shooting stroke looks a bit improved. Definitely potential there.

Reaction Score
His team is about to lose to Pro Skills and he hasn't looked great in this game. In his defense, his best 2 moves of the 2nd half both should have been layups or and-1's and he was called for a charge. This game is basically unwatchable with all the fouls called and it seemed to me to be pretty lopsided. Lots of touch fouls on Team Final and not much called the other way. Hard to even tell who the better players are in this game because the game literally had no flow whatsoever.

Reaction Score
They lost 64-58, so maybe they made a comeback?
Still no box score an hour after the game.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Maybe the Huskies can get back at Villanova by posting up their guards.
I can't imagine how it feels on the court, but it was demoralizing as a fan watching Gillespie get that when he wanted to. Getting 6-8 points a game like that would take some pressure off our offense next year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I really think that if Hurley has a type, this is it. If Martin was a better finisher, he'd fit that type as well. Tough defender, strong rebounder, decent shooter, decent ball handler and can score through contact around the rim. You can win with a whole team of those guys.

One of the under-appreciated things about Bouknight is the way he didn't fear contact at the rim, unlike Jalen Adams who was incredible at avoiding it (leading to fewer FTs and more missed shots).

Reaction Score
kind of getting some Nate Robinson vibes...minus several inches on his vertical

Reaction Score
kind of getting some Nate Robinson vibes...minus several inches on his vertical
I'm curious to hear why. Different positions, one is very small for his position and relied on elite quickness, the other relies on his strength more than anything as Floyd doesn't seem to have great quickness. They both have pretty impressive verticals but are very very different players.

Reaction Score
BUT that is a big deal for a guy like him. His bunny % is borderline atrocious at this level

If you watched him at Massanutten you wouldn't have thought Martin had trouble finishing around the rim. Given that Floyd is shorter, and relies on bullying kids with his physicality, it seems like a leap to assume he's going to be better at it than Martin at the college level.

Reaction Score

I watched most of the second half today. This was my first time watching him play. I am certainly no expert, but he looks like such a solid player who makes winning plays, and one you want on your team. I do see why he isn’t ranked too much higher. He isn’t quite an elite creator or shot maker. He just does a lot of things well. He had a few nice assists, including a beautiful lob. He could have had another assist or two if his teammate made a shot, and he sometimes made the pass that led to the assist. Again, thanks others here have seen him more or are better talent evaluators, but I give Hurley and the staff a ton of credit for identifying and closing on Floyd so early.

Reaction Score
If you watched him at Massanutten you wouldn't have thought Martin had trouble finishing around the rim. Given that Floyd is shorter, and relies on bullying kids with his physicality, it seems like a leap to assume he's going to be better at it than Martin at the college level.
Understand your logic, but some guys just know how to play under the rim. Martin didn't get blocked often...he just bricked his shots.

Reaction Score
I'm curious to hear why. Different positions, one is very small for his position and relied on elite quickness, the other relies on his strength more than anything as Floyd doesn't seem to have great quickness. They both have pretty impressive verticals but are very very different players.
I paid more attention to Robinson when he was out here in Denver towards end of his career so had lost some of that elite quickness. Just stronger, undersized guards that can get to the basket. Basically all the footage I've seen of Floyd is twitter highlights so I'm going off of not a lot. @Ricker and @husky429 provide the real analysis...my thoughts are just background noise

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

People here tried to comp Marcus Smart, but when I compared him to Martin...oh no he's better than that. We always do this with recruits. I'm guilty too sometimes. I still believe Andre Jackson will transform himself into a shorter, more athletic version of Magic Johnson (who also couldn't shoot at first).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Understand your logic, but some guys just know how to play under the rim. Martin didn't get blocked often...he just bricked his shots.
In Martin’s case it has to be confidence yips. Very rarely if he started out missing shots he ended up making them. The converse was also true.

Reaction Score
Not responding to anyone, but just a general comment, I feel like some people watch a 17 year old play and compare them to other kids who are 19 year old seniors. He can still grow, get more athletic, get stronger etc. If he ends up a legit 6’4” when he graduates watch out.

Reaction Score
In Martin’s case it has to be confidence yips. Very rarely if he started out missing shots he ended up making them. The converse was also true.
Seems like he is afraid of getting shot blocked (especially on offensive rebounds) so he quickly sort of flings the ball up rather than shooting. See similar actions with Whaley. Need to have patience like Sanogo to hesitate, fake, move to more effective shooting position and then shoot not fling the ball. No harm in taking offensive rebound back outside and start new play rather than fling low % shot (even if close in).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom