2022 Recruiting: - Corey Floyd Jr. update 10/26/20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Corey Floyd Jr. update 10/26/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Disagree on ceiling. .Coach Mike would/could turn him into a different type of player .. Adding to his speed and strength....He may also have a growing spurt of an inch or two (as many of these guys have in college) that could change his future BB options at the next level.. Still has time to grow.. Seems underrated by "experts" right now.. Lil Sool is all in on him..

I hope I am wrong, but what makes him so effective right now is his athleticism and build. He will need more than that to translate at the next level. Not saying it can't happen, but he will need to grow and really work on his skillset.

In saying that, I still hope we land him, and I think he can be very effective in college.

Reaction Score
Key word "yet" --our staff has done a good job identifying late-risers so far. No reason not to trust them at this point.

You may have misunderstood my comment. I surely do trust the staff (and Lil Sool) and meant he has plenty of time to develop, not that he can't or won't. I really liked his competitiveness in the Slam 16 game and how he outshone Gayle and others, even Cruz.

Reaction Score

Interesting they bubble up once he puts out a top 7 without them in it. The more ive seen of him the more I like his game. He has had great things to say about UConn, as has his uncle. Seems like we’re in a good spot which is all you can really ask for.

Reaction Score
Interesting they bubble up once he puts out a top 7 without them in it. The more ive seen of him the more I like his game. He has had great things to say about UConn, as has his uncle. Seems like we’re in a good spot which is all you can really ask for.
Sool will teach him Uconn>Nova

Reaction Score
Hopefully passing Jay's eye test can get some Yarders on the Corey Bandwagon.. BE coaches beginning to respect DH's eye for talent on the recruiting trail.. Success breeds success.. Time for Lil Sool to do his thing..

Reaction Score
I've only watched Floyd play twice with Roselle and then the recent NYC game. My early impression is that he seems like the perfect 2022 replacement for Brendan Adams and in the same roll. A strong physical guard that can fill a number of complimentary roles. Floyd is #125 in the list I was just looking at,, in comparison to the #175 range for Brendan Adams when he came out. To me that is relatively equivalent and just depends on the eye test the day you watch them play. It seems to me he will be a complimentary player rather than an 'alpha' guard, because Floyd doesn't appear to dominate the basketball to succeed, and, he doesn't strike me as a volume shooter. He plays in the flow, can score as a spot up shooter or slashing, can defend, is athletic enough, and he can help your team. When you have solid point guard play (Diggins), and, a knock down shooter at wing (Hawkins), there is a great role for a guard like Floyd that you don't need to be the savior in those rolls.

Reaction Score
Corey to Dushawn London of 247:

“Coach Kimani Young has been contacting my parents and I. We are setting up another zoom with them as well. Going back to the Big East is a huge step for them. It's going to be something great and I know they are going to have a great team. One of my Final boys, Rahsool Diggins, just committed there and he's a great point guard and I know he's going to do great there. They told me they want me to come in and be that scoring guard for them. They're a guard heavy school that wins most of their games through their guards. Coach Dan Hurley over there is a great coach and it would be an honor to play for him.”

Reaction Score
My early impression is that he seems like the perfect 2022 replacement for Brendan Adams and in the same roll
i'm not doubting your scouting take, and i'm all for locking guys up early, it's just curious a rotation guy would become hurley's first major focus for 2022

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've only watched Floyd play twice with Roselle and then the recent NYC game. My early impression is that he seems like the perfect 2022 replacement for Brendan Adams and in the same roll. A strong physical guard that can fill a number of complimentary roles. Floyd is #125 in the list I was just looking at,, in comparison to the #175 range for Brendan Adams when he came out. To me that is relatively equivalent and just depends on the eye test the day you watch them play. It seems to me he will be a complimentary player rather than an 'alpha' guard, because Floyd doesn't appear to dominate the basketball to succeed, and, he doesn't strike me as a volume shooter. He plays in the flow, can score as a spot up shooter or slashing, can defend, is athletic enough, and he can help your team. When you have solid point guard play (Diggins), and, a knock down shooter at wing (Hawkins), there is a great role for a guard like Floyd that you don't need to be the savior in those rolls.
He looks a lot better to me than Adams, way better athlete.

Reaction Score
I guess I think more of Adams and his role than you guys do. I intended the comparison of Floyd to Adams and a seamless transition to Floyd, as a positive comparison. On this year's loaded team, In a preseason interview Hurley essentially said Adams would be playing starters minutes if he would shoot threes in games as well as he shoots them in practice, which he said was better than 40%. As a player that can compete for large minutes, that makes Adams a quality player in my mind. I agree Floyd is ranked somewhat higher, Floyd might have more upside, and he might be slightly more athletic. I don't know his three point shooting percentage. If he shoots >40% I will stand corrected, but I just don't see him as the primary 'go to' player of future teams a la Bouknight, Jackson, Hawkins, Clingan, and comparable players. Nothing wrong with playing a role on a good team. Floyd is ranked 90ish to 125ish by various services so he is considered good but not great by the services. Floyd as our #1 guard target might reflect the desire to replace exactly what we are losing in Adams, and, the likelihood of recruiting success, rather than appointment as the next UConn star. There has been outreach to Justice Williams and a handful of other guards higher ranked than Floyd. Do you really think Floyd is our #1 target because he is the best of all of them? I didn't see that level of play in the particular games I watched.
In the end, I'm happy if we get Floyd, happier if he is a star here, and, don't think I've seen enough of him to be fixed in my opinion.

Reaction Score
i'm not doubting your scouting take, and i'm all for locking guys up early, it's just curious a rotation guy would become hurley's first major focus for 2022

It may just be an issue of roster construction. Can't have all starters and you need versatile guys who can defend as well as score. In his self assessment he described himself as aggressive and likes to be disruptive on defense and create easy scoring opportunities so he may have DH written all over him.

Reaction Score
I guess I think more of Adams and his role than you guys do. I intended the comparison of Floyd to Adams and a seamless transition to Floyd, as a positive comparison. On this year's loaded team, In a preseason interview Hurley essentially said Adams would be playing starters minutes if he would shoot threes in games as well as he shoots them in practice, which he said was better than 40%. As a player that can compete for large minutes, that makes Adams a quality player in my mind. I agree Floyd is ranked somewhat higher, Floyd might have more upside, and he might be slightly more athletic. I don't know his three point shooting percentage. If he shoots >40% I will stand corrected, but I just don't see him as the primary 'go to' player of future teams a la Bouknight, Jackson, Hawkins, Clingan, and comparable players. Nothing wrong with playing a role on a good team. Floyd is ranked 90ish to 125ish by various services so he is considered good but not great by the services. Floyd as our #1 guard target might reflect the desire to replace exactly what we are losing in Adams, and, the likelihood of recruiting success, rather than appointment as the next UConn star. There has been outreach to Justice Williams and a handful of other guards higher ranked than Floyd. Do you really think Floyd is our #1 target because he is the best of all of them? I didn't see that level of play in the particular games I watched.
In the end, I'm happy if we get Floyd, happier if he is a star here, and, don't think I've seen enough of him to be fixed in my opinion.
Adams is a career 26% three point shooter at UConn. It's quite an ask expecting him to be 40%+.

Reaction Score
IMO.. Floyd is more than a rotational player.. Jay and DH both like guards who have high character.. high BB IQ.. two way players that can shoot... I trust their eye for talent.. He outplayed most of the guards (except for Sool..different position) in the Slam.. Kinda has a Jerome Dyson vibe to parts of his game..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This discussion is silly. Do you need good rotation guys to win? Of course you do. See, e.g., Lahsan Kromah, Charles Okwandu, Hilton Armstrong and Edmond Saunders, just to look at the benches of our four championship teams. Do you start the recruiting cycle by focusing on rotation guys, as opposed to trying to start with players who are going to drive your team forward and then focusing on rotation guys later in the cycle? Of course not.

Hurley is not focusing more than a year ahead of the earliest signing day on people who he doesn't see as reaching all conference status at a minimum. And with all due respect to Brendan Adams, that's not him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He looks a lot better to me than Adams, way better athlete.

I don't really know but my impression is that the similarity is more that he's not likely a starter until he's an upper classman, and will be a tough, gritty defender, rebounder and do that dirty work kind of player. A better version of that is exactly what I think Hurley would like to have. A college Marcus Smart.

C

Chief00

IMO.. Floyd is more than a rotational player.. Jay and DH both like guards who have high character.. high BB IQ.. two way players that can shoot... I trust their eye for talent.. He outplayed most of the guards (except for Sool..different position) in the Slam.. Kinda has a Jerome Dyson vibe to parts of his game..
I know Danny felt we needed to upgrade our shooting. Makes the game less hard.

Reaction Score
Do you need good rotation guys to win? Of course you do. See, e.g., Lahsan Kromah, Charles Okwandu, Hilton Armstrong and Edmond Saunders, just to look at the benches of our four championship teams.
It should be a rule that whenever Chuck's name is referenced you have to mention how much he loved his team...extra likes for posting the video. Perhaps a new unit of measure for heart? chuck units? how many chucks does a player give?

Reaction Score
I don't really know but my impression is that the similarity is more that he's not likely a starter until he's an upper classman, and will be a tough, gritty defender, rebounder and do that dirty work kind of player. A better version of that is exactly what I think Hurley would like to have. A college Marcus Smart.

Marcus Smart was a consensus all-american and the Big 12 POY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99