2022 Recruiting: - Corey Floyd Jr To UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Corey Floyd Jr To UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This one is for Hurley since he loves his Sylvester Stallone movies.

Happy Lets Go GIF by Rocky

Reaction Score
This is from Jerry Meyer of 247Sports earlier today.

How does Corey Floyd Jr. benefit a program like UConn in his first year alongside Jalen Gaffney and Rahsool Diggins?

Hagan @hagannnnnnn

An announcement for either Connecticut or Rutgers is expected today from four-star guard Corey Floyd Jr. Currently three National Analyst from 247Sports, including myself, have Crystal Ball picks for UConn.

Whoever does land Floyd Jr. will be getting a player who should be able to contribute immediately. He has the physical build and strength of a seasoned college player already. Floyd Jr. also has a solidity to his game with his well rounded skill set. He makes good decisions on the court and executes the common play uncommonly well.

I like his shooting stroke, his ability to defend multiple positions and his functional athleticism off two feet in traffic.

Here is my scouting report on him:

Well built and physical guard. Has functional athleticism in traffic. Ideal playing off the ball as a shooter and slasher. Has a reliable shooting stroke. Can attack the basket and finish with either hand. Solid overall ball handler and passer. Rebounds his position well.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Highlights from recent hoop group elite camp. You can tell he has a lot more finesse to his game than BA. He can consistently beat good defenders off the dribble and finish. His style of play is closer to Bouk than BA.

Reaction Score
I’ve always trusted in DH! Once UConn chose this man to be our coach and leader going forward I left every decision in his hands and never questioned anything after.

Reaction Score
It's great having a staff that has a plan. It's even better when they have a good plan that's working.
And, most importantly, when they execute on that plan. Our last coach proved that hope, in fact, is not a plan.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just hopin' he isn't Kelvin Torbert from Mich St or Paul Harris from SUcks.

I do worry about highly ranked man child shooting guards or combo guards. They have a tendency to peak early and not develop skills needed to succeed at next level.

Reaction Score
One of the first times Dan Hurley saw Corey Floyd Jr. play, the UConn coach asked Floyd’s grassroots coach, “Does he want to tear somebody’s face off?
We're gonna have a fullroster of guys who want to tear people's faces off. Practices are going to be insane

Reaction Score
Just hopin' he isn't Kelvin Torbert from Mich St or Paul Harris from SUcks.

I do worry about highly ranked man child shooting guards or combo guards. They have a tendency to peak early and not develop skills needed to succeed at next level.

Always a possibility. But Paul Harris WAS a man child as a 20 year-old freshman. At least Floyd seems to have his head screwed on straight. No Paul Harris off-the-court issues to worry about.

Reaction Score
Could he be a similar college player to ducks his head Rodney Purvis?

And before you kill me, I think Rodney is the type of 2nd scoring option this team could use. Rodney under Hurley excites me more than the Rodney we knew under ollie

Reaction Score
Couple quick thought...
1) Covid in the world has been a terrible terrible thing. That being said, in a odd way, it’s really seemed to level the playing field for this staff who doesn’t always do the extra curricular things that other schools do. We’ve been able to be first adopters and identify real gem talent before it blew up, and secure commitments. Some of our “gets” would have been much more difficult w/ a normal season/AAU in my mind. 1000 compliments to staff for an ability to identify talent early.
2) Let’s continue to enjoy Kimani while he’s here. Dudes a rockstar now & a future star (in unfortunately/fortunately, what appears to be the not so distant future)

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Curtis Kelly wore #14 before he transferred.
Kelly was the strangest player. He showed nothing during his time with us he looked uncoordinated at times, had terrible hands, couldn’t score then he transfers to Kansas state and looked like a totally different player, averaging 12 and 6 for a top 10 team.

Reaction Score
This is arguably more exciting than pizza or sandwiches. And that's saying something around here, imo.

I for one am here for the pizza, sandwich, and stock recommendations first. The basketball related content is just fluff.

But this is cool too, Welcome to the Husky fam Corey!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kelly was the strangest player. He showed nothing during his time with us he looked uncoordinated at times, had terrible hands, couldn’t score then he transfers to Kansas state and looked like a totally different player, averaging 12 and 6 for a top 10 team.
Wasn’t he a top-30 nationally ranked recruit too? What a let down he was for us.

Reaction Score

From Team Final coach James Johns:
"Relationships go a long way in where you send your kids because you want to be able to trust that people are going to take care of him," Johns said. "There's a level of trust there with coach Hurley. If they offer a kid, and if it's a fit, I'm going to do anything I can to make sure coach Hurley gets him. I just trust him."Based
CF clearly has a great BB skill set and has that two way toughness that DH likes..

Based on the interviews/videos that have surfaced on the BY.. I'm more impressed with his maturity and mindset.. Really seems to have his head on straight.. Has that quiet confidence about him that suggests he can overcome any hurdles thrown in front of him.. And he's only 17!

I see that as being a product of great parenting and strong coaching/role models.. Could easily see him evolving as a leader in the future in Storrs..

Excellent evaluation by DH/staff strictly from a character perspective.. Fantastic personnel acquisition for the Organization (as DH frequently calls the Program)..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69