Corey Evans on Bouknight & Akok | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Corey Evans on Bouknight & Akok

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
gonna you 32 times in the face

How many times have you said that to someone?

32?

Reaction Score
I don't think that's what he meant but I agree with what you're saying.

you may not think I meant what I said but usually I mean what I say. just saying.
1 or 2 top 20 players a year, along with a couple of 50-125 players, and were good to go.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you a story about Brandon Jennings. Wore UConn gear everywhere. Was friends with Marcus Williams and played for Marcus's father in AAU. Was considered a huge UConn lean. And then committed to Arizona.

Of course then he never went to college and we got some guy named Kemba Walker instead. So worked out in the end.
Kemba walker? Was he a walk on

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
you may not think I meant what I said but usually I mean what I say. just saying.
1 or 2 top 20 players a year, along with a couple of 50-125 players, and were good to go.

When did JC get 1or 2 top 20 players a year? May have happened but that would be pretty rare.

Reaction Score
When did JC get 1or 2 top 20 players a year? May have happened but that would be pretty rare.

Yes, definitely was rare. Were drummond and daniels in the same class? They were both highly ranked but I'm not sure if Daniels was top 20. AJ Price and Rudy Gay were both highly ranked too and that was back in 2004

Reaction Score
Yes, definitely was rare. Were drummond and daniels in the same class? They were both highly ranked but I'm not sure if Daniels was top 20. AJ Price and Rudy Gay were both highly ranked too and that was back in 2004

Daniels was top 10 earlier, not sure where he ended up.

Reaction Score
According to 247 consensus rankings....
'03 - CV
'04 - Rudy
'05 - Bynum (technically he committed)
'06 - Stanley
'07 - None
'08 - Kemba, Majok
'09 - Oriakhi
'10 - None
'11 - DeAndre Daniels, Drummond (with his '12 rank, most sites didn't update to include him)

So 9 in 9 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
'03 - CV
'04 - Rudy
'06 - Stanley
'07 - None
'08 - Kemba, Majok
'09 - Oriakhi
'10 - None
'11 - DeAndre Daniels, Drummond (with his '12 rank, most sites didn't update to include him)

So 9 in 9 years.

The most important thing that this list should tell you is that UConn had at a number of candidates for First Team All American (and in some cases national player of the year) -- Rip, Ray, Donyell and Shabazz -- who were not top 20 recruits. That's not to call rankings meaningless. It is to point out that the difference between the 15th best player and the 45th best player is a guess. An educated guess, but a guess.

Reaction Score
The most important thing that this list should tell you is that UConn had at a number of candidates for First Team All American (and in some cases national player of the year) -- Rip, Ray, Donyell and Shabazz -- who were not top 20 recruits. That's not to call rankings meaningless. It is to point out that the difference between the 15th best player and the 45th best player is a guess. An educated guess, but a guess.
Rip and Donyell were both top 20 recruits.

Reaction Score
'03 - CV
'04 - Rudy
'06 - Stanley
'07 - None
'08 - Kemba, Majok
'09 - Oriakhi
'10 - None

So 9 in 9 years.

The consensus can lie a little bit if one of the services does a bad job.

AJ Price was a top 20 for instance.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And Caron Butler would likely have been Top 20 if he wasn't a post grad (unranked).

pj

Reaction Score

The main thing the list tells you is its easier to handicap size and athleticism than how a smaller player will develop. Every year, guards contribute more and big men less to college teams than you'd expect from recruiting rankings.

But, as a school and a coach, you've arrived when you can compete with the big-name schools for big men. Because everyone is after them.

Reaction Score

I started at '03 because that's when 247 data starts and ended with Calhoun's last year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Also shows what kind of player development JC could bring out. "NBA ready"

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If we could manage to get one most years we would be returning to our former glory. Two a year and you're real close to Duke or Kentucky.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we could manage to get one most years we would be returning to our former glory. Two a year and you're real close to Duke or Kentucky.

Yeah, two 5 starts a year is wishful thinking. That's also a recipe for too many one and dones. I'd like one a year and then fill it out with top 100, preferably at least one other top 50 kid. You never know where the gems will be. Frank Mason was #118.

Finding under the radar players who could stay 3-4 years, that was what made Calhoun successful. It's what makes most winning teams successful.

Reaction Score
Yeah, two 5 starts a year is wishful thinking. That's also a recipe for too many one and dones. I'd like one a year and then fill it out with top 100, preferably at least one other top 50 kid. You never know where the gems will be. Frank Mason was #118.

Finding under the radar players who could stay 3-4 years, that was what made Calhoun successful. It's what makes most winning teams successful.

Agree. The Calhoun (now Jay Wright) model is far superior to the Calipari model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom