Corey Edsall contract resolution in sight? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Corey Edsall contract resolution in sight?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
View attachment 32449 Uncle...

>>Angry at what it’s chairman called “stealth” legislation, the state ethics commission held an emergency meeting Tuesday to discuss what legal recourse it might have after learning that top legislators quietly added an amendment to a bill that appears to ensure that UConn football coach Randy Edsall’s son can remain on his father’s staff.<<

>>Tuesday’s teleconference call was immediately adjourned to an executive session that lasted more than an hour to discuss the legal ramifications of the new law as it applies to not only the Edsall case but also for the future of the board.

Neither Castricone or executive director would comment on what the board had discussed or what their legal strategy will be going forward.<<

Basically they took away all oversight from the ethics board which is reasonable given now they handled this matter.

Reaction Score
I guess you do not realize that the state's largest newspaper is supposed to lead the state on important issues via the editorial page.

No attack but YIKES.... I never realized this... Which writer should I have voted for in the last election? :confused:

The solution to the state's economic woes are linked to the viable future of UConn.
Forgive me twice but I think you have things bass akwards on this one...;)

Reaction Score
Slipping unrelated amendments in to a bill... not usually a fan! But in this case I love it.
Happens all of he time. Ask your mayor/first selectman how much money your town got through this type of move.

Reaction Score
Happens all of he time. Ask your mayor/first selectman how much money your town got through this type of move.
If we are talking about appropriations, the term is earmark. My sense is that big cities have the political power to get earmarks, but I am not sure that "all the time" would be accurate. Sometimes small towns get them for special needs, for instance if there is a pond being infested with invasive species that need eradication for which they might need aid.

In Congress earmarking got out of control until there was a massive reaction to it and they became much harder. Nonetheless they still happen under various guises.

Rats are a bit different. My understanding is that they are usually non-appropriation related and are inserted into bills dealing with completely different subjects. Kinda like slipping in something about immigration into the defense appropriation bill. Maybe three lines into a 2,000 page bill.

Reaction Score
Ethics Board Says Secret Amendment To Benefit Edsall “An Affront To All Connecticut Citizens”

>>The statement signed by every member of the Citizen’s Ethics Advisory Board goes onto say the legislation “passed in the darkness” of the waning days of the last legislative session “weakens the Code of Ethics by opening the door to nepotism not just in the football program but throughout Connecticut state universities and community colleges as well as the University of Connecticut. It also creates a double standard permitting nepotism in the state college and university system while continuing to prohibit it throughout the rest of state government. And make no mistake, taxpayers will bear the cost of this erosion of accountability.”<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ethics Board Says Secret Amendment To Benefit Edsall “An Affront To All Connecticut Citizens”

>>The statement signed by every member of the Citizen’s Ethics Advisory Board goes onto say the legislation “passed in the darkness” of the waning days of the last legislative session “weakens the Code of Ethics by opening the door to nepotism not just in the football program but throughout Connecticut state universities and community colleges as well as the University of Connecticut. It also creates a double standard permitting nepotism in the state college and university system while continuing to prohibit it throughout the rest of state government. And make no mistake, taxpayers will bear the cost of this erosion of accountability.”<<

Maybe those idiots should have done their jobs and allowed Corey to work and they could have avoided this.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Yeah, this all but validates that the ethics board was out of line looking to make noise on this. Seeing as the board is a creation of the legislature, the legislature has every right to correct overreach which this case clearly was. Whining about it only makes them look more wrong.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is just all so typical of this state.

Reaction Score
Personally, I do not see it and I am unclear why people are so upset about what the Ethics Board did. Seems like a clear cut case to me. The law did not allow for exceptions. They could not have created one if they had wanted to.

But by the same token I do not see why the coaching staff had to be treated as employees. Just outsource the function and be done with it.

Reaction Score
... But by the same token I do not see why the coaching staff had to be treated as employees. Just outsource the function and be done with it.

Not sure what the NCAA position on that would be... but for that even to be on the table the UConn BOT would have to negotiate the coaches’ positions out of the AAUP Recognition Language/Bargaining Unit.

Wonder how crazy expensive the liability insurance costs for coaches outside the University/State umbrella would be?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Personally, I do not see it and I am unclear why people are so upset about what the Ethics Board did. Seems like a clear cut case to me. The law did not allow for exceptions. They could not have created one if they had wanted to.

But by the same token I do not see why the coaching staff had to be treated as employees. Just outsource the function and be done with it.

Well - my useless two cents.
1) ethics board was correct on the initial ruling
2) legislation was the only way to deal with this
3) legislation was passed to address the issue, albeit the language was a little broad and clumsy in my opinion, but okay it’s done.
4) editorials scream bloody murder because the legislation, which had bipartisan support, was never debated and was tacked on as unrelated amendment.<— my issue here is that this kind of thing has been happening for decades and our media outlets ignore it because it doesn’t sell papers. The media jumped on this because it’s click bate.
5) then what really makes this state special is that the ethics commission actually gets super pissed about this legislation and starts putting in an extra effort to challenge and/or discredit the legislature. Wow.

What’s done is done. Hurray it’s done.

Reaction Score
If we are talking about appropriations, the term is earmark. My sense is that big cities have the political power to get earmarks, but I am not sure that "all the time" would be accurate. Sometimes small towns get them for special needs, for instance if there is a pond being infested with invasive species that need eradication for which they might need aid.

In Congress earmarking got out of control until there was a massive reaction to it and they became much harder. Nonetheless they still happen under various guises.

Rats are a bit different. My understanding is that they are usually non-appropriation related and are inserted into bills dealing with completely different subjects. Kinda like slipping in something about immigration into the defense appropriation bill. Maybe three lines into a 2,000 page bill.
Yeah. I worked at the legislature for a session. Take a look at the “implementer” bill someday. Passes every year and is absolutely loaded with stuff. This was simply politics. The ethics board over reached and got slapped down. Nothing more. But if you think this was the only rat this session, well I have a great deal for you on a bridge and you don’t even have to go to Brooklyn. Middletown or Portland will do. Just that mostly nobody hears about them because they involve such exciting things as sale of 200 square feet to Richard in Coventry.

CL82

Reaction Score
The hiring and supervision of Corey was entirely acceptable under CT ethics rules. The committee actually gave an advisory opinion to UConn stating that. They only changed there minds after they found out that facts related to football. In order to find it in violation, the ethics board created two fictions:

1) The board arbitrarily decided that Randy was employee before his start date. Without doing that there is no violation.
2) The board arbitrarily chose to ignore that Corey reported to the athletic director and not to Randy calling it a sham. Without doing that there is no violation.​

I'm not sure what drove the board to that but they would have lost if it went to trial. The legislature fixing that overreach was entirely inappropriate. I would have preferred that they did it more openly though.

Reaction Score
The ethics board over reached and got slapped down. Nothing more.
Absolutely not. The Ethics Board did exactly what it was supposed to do. Do I have a problem with Corey working for his father? Absolutely not as long as it is not as an employee of the State.

Reaction Score
The hiring and supervision of Corey was entirely acceptable under CT ethics rules. The committee actually gave an advisory opinion to UConn stating that. They only changed there minds after they found out that facts related to football. In order to find it in violation, the ethics board created two fictions:

1) The board arbitrarily decided that Randy was employee before his start date. Without doing that there is no violation.
2) The board arbitrarily chose to ignore that Corey reported to the athletic director and not to Randy calling it a sham. Without doing that there is no violation.​

I'm not sure what drove the board to that but they would have lost if it went to trial. The legislature fixing that overreach was entirely inappropriate. I would have preferred that they did it more openly though.
You sound like a lawyer or someone who plays one on TV. The reporting arrangement is a sham. The AD has no power in this arrangement short of firing the HC. Read Kevin Rennie today.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You sound like a lawyer or someone who plays one on TV. The reporting arrangement is a sham. The AD has no power in this arrangement short of firing the HC. Read Kevin Rennie today.

Kevin Rennie is a hack. Why are you using his column for anything besides toilet paper?

Reaction Score

The issue with comment 1) above is that the hiring of Corey was incorporated into Randy's contract which was obviously drafted before his start date. This showed an intent regardless of whether Randy was truly and employee of the State at the time. I still think that inclusion of Corey's hiring in the contract was the impetus for the ethics action. However, I do agree with statement 2) that for the board to call a reporting structure a "sham" showed a lack of awareness of management and reporting structures as a whole. Throughout the working world there are people who manage projects and related staff who do not have direct or indirect HR reporting relationship to that staff.

CL82

Reaction Score
The issue with comment 1) above is that the hiring of Corey was incorporated into Randy's contract which was obviously drafted before his start date. This showed an intent regardless of whether Randy was truly and employee of the State at the time.

Mmm, intent of what exactly?

The harm that we are looking to avert is having state of Connecticut employees using their authority to hire family members. Prior to being an employee they have no such authority.

This rule is aimed at preventing employees from directly hiring family members unilaterally. Here when Corey was suggested as staff member with Edsall's direct supervisor, there is no abuse of authority, no duplicity or secrecy. The ethics committee saw "football coach" and decided to manufacture a problem that didn't exist.

In my humble opinion.

CL82

Reaction Score
You sound like a lawyer or someone who plays one on TV.
Hmmm, insult or compliment?

The reporting arrangement is a sham. The AD has no power in this arrangement short of firing the HC.
No, Benedict had direct hire/fire, promotion/salary authority. Now I understand why you and the ethics committee want to pretend otherwise in order to fabricate an argument against the Edsall and UConn, but it isn't reality based.

Read Kevin Rennie today.

I did, at your suggestion. I didn't find the "we have stop Edsall's son from working at UConn because.... um TRUMP" particularly persuasive.

Reaction Score
No, Benedict had direct hire/fire, promotion/salary authority. Now I understand why you and the ethics committee want to pretend otherwise in order to fabricate an argument against the Edsall and UConn, but it isn't reality based.
Riiight. And how about that bridge I have listed on eBay? I'll give you 50% off twice the price.

And when have I ever said I want to fabricate an argument. Never. Check the record. But I do believe that there should be no exceptions for football. You sign on as an employee and you abide by the same rules everyone else abides by. But I have no idea why the coaching staff needs to be employees.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom