Corey Edsall contract resolution in sight? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Corey Edsall contract resolution in sight?

Reaction Score
Yeah I like the outcome but they should have passed it clean. Oh well at least it solves one issue.

If someone in the AD made it happen then credit to them. Even if it’s Benedict.

Will Randy sign his contract?
it would be nice to get him to sign his contract, but at this point does it really matter? It's not like he's jumping ship to anywhere else.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
it would be nice to get him to sign his contract, but at this point does it really matter? It's not like he's jumping ship to anywhere else.

It doesn’t matter I was just curious if this was why he wouldn’t.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t matter I was just curious if this was why he wouldn’t.
I'm guessing this was the reason. I don't know if he came out and said it was the reason or if it was one of the beat writers but I thought it was mentioned somewhere.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing this was the reason. I don't know if he came out and said it was the reason or if it was one of the beat writers but I thought it was mentioned somewhere.

Older article: Hired Nearly A Year Ago, Randy Edsall Has Not Signed UConn Contract

>>Also, sources say, Edsall is not satisfied with some unrelated language in the contract presented to him, and he has been advised not to sign it by the UConn chapter of the American Association of University Professors.

The situation with Corey Edsall, UConn’s tight ends coach, is the more central problem. Randy Edsall, sources say, has no intention of signing a contract until the issued is resolved.<<

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I saw Randy and Corey at Willibrew over the weekend. Both looked happy. Nobody bugged them. As they left, I gave a smile and a nod to Corey and he responded in kind, seeing that I was rocking my UConn shirt as always.

This story has nothing to do with anything, really. I'm just glad they're here, and I'm even more glad that I'm always conveniently rocking a UConn shirt at all times... :cool:

Reaction Score
Standy-by for the indignant outcries...

Not a fan of the language at all. Sloppy. It should be very specific as to athletic coaches. A head coach should absolutely have the right to hire who he/she wants. We should not allow managers to hire their kids in other agencies, however. Tons of potential issues.

Reaction Score
The ethics committee ruling was ridiculous. This bill is something else and equally ridiculous. All they had to do was exempt personal services contracts. Something that should have been done anyhow. These coaches have contracts, so long as the relative does not have final say over the terms, offer, renewal or termination then any ethics issues are resolved. Now, you can have politicians and bureaucrats trading jobs for their kids and spouses with each other without pause.

Agreed 100 %. What an absolute embarrassment. Just make an amendment regarding athletic coaches.

Reaction Score
Editorials are biased by definition.
Yeah but if you want to make an argument at least know what you're talking about. The line about "how do we know if Corey edsall is doing a good job???" Is particularly foolish

Reaction Score
Yeah but if you want to make an argument at least know what you're talking about. The line about "how do we know if Corey edsall is doing a good job???" Is particularly foolish
That is a legit critique of the editorial. I was just saying that a op-ed piece, by definition, is presents a point of view and is meant to persuade.

Yes, I have experience as a high school debate coach :p

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It might be helpful for the writer to have pointed out that the Corey Edsall employment arrangement was entirely consistent with CT Ethics law, but that the ethics committee that reviewed it created two fictions (created a false start date and created a false chain of command) to make it non-compliant. This bill remedies that.

For what it is worth, I'm not a fan of the "no one knew what was in the bill" argument. It's their job to know what they are voting for, including amendments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No it isn't. It is a good point. Edsall can threaten to leave unless his son receives the performance review that he wants.

Quite frankly though, I don't know why UConn can't give a contract to an Edsall LLC and he can hire the coaches and pay their salaries and hire whomever he damn well pleases. In other words, outsource the entire coaching function to the HC's LLC. Or only some of them. I do not see why these people have to be state employees.

Reaction Score
Every time you think that there is no way that the Boneyard could contain a more ridiculous statement than any heretofore made ....
I guess you do not realize that the state's largest newspaper is supposed to lead the state on important issues via the editorial page.

UConn sports has become vital to the state's image and even its economic future (whatever happened to the retail outlets in East Hartford near the Rent or don't eateries in Hartford need more patrons following UConn sports events)

There is a very serious risk that under the next governor UConn and UConn sports could be severely cut. If The Courant had been pointing out the importance of UConn sports, and UConn overall, to the governor, legislature, potential donors and businesses. we likely would not be in the AAC purgatory. Didn't the ACC get impressed by the priority Louisville gave its sports programs?

The solution to the state's economic woes are linked to the viable future of UConn.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No it isn't. It is a good point. Edsall can threaten to leave unless his son receives the performance review that he wants.

Quite frankly though, I don't know why UConn can't give a contract to an Edsall LLC and he can hire the coaches and pay their salaries and hire whomever he damn well pleases. In other words, outsource the entire coaching function to the HC's LLC. Or only some of them. I do not see why these people have to be state employees.

You have to consider the relationship between the head coach and any assistant coaches, not just those related. If a position coach is doing such a bad job that it gains the attention of anyone beyond that of the head coach then the head coach is likely out the door anyway. That is what makes this such a ridiculous case. Every assistant is tied at the hip to the HC and the AD can dictate who gets hired/fired if he so chooses up to an including the head coach. The concept of nepotism having a negative affect on a football staff is a mcguffin. It might be present but means zero to the overall plot.

To those grousing about the legislature acting on this I would point out that identifying problematic effects of existing laws or policies and fixing them is precisely what they are supposed to be doing. This was a 200% dumb ruling by the ethics board and they fixed it. You can argue about how, you can argue about why they did precisely what they did, you can even come up with an excuse about trying to capture similar non-football related cases in one shot and giving them a pass because they are part time politicians. (you get what you pay for).

I come down on the side of right idea, suboptimal execution.

Reaction Score
I guess you do not realize that the state's largest newspaper is supposed to lead the state on important issues via the editorial page.

UConn sports has become vital to the state's image and even its economic future (whatever happened to the retail outlets in East Hartford near the Rent or don't eateries in Hartford need more patrons following UConn sports events)

There is a very serious risk that under the next governor UConn and UConn sports could be severely cut. If The Courant had been pointing out the importance of UConn sports, and UConn overall, to the governor, legislature, potential donors and businesses. we likely would not be in the AAC purgatory. Didn't the ACC get impressed by the priority Louisville gave its sports programs?

The solution to the state's economic woes are linked to the viable future of UConn.

I do not downplay UConn's importance to the State of Connecticut. That doesn't make the statement that if the Courant had done it's job we'd be in a P-5 conference today any less ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I do not downplay UConn's importance to the State of Connecticut. That doesn't make the statement that if the Courant had done it's job we'd be in a P-5 conference today any less ridiculous.
C'mon, the Courant absolutely could have moved Connecticut further south, convinced UConn to start 1-A football a decade or more earlier, etc. Sometimes, operating in reality and the real world is so limiting. ;)

Reaction Score
C'mon, the Courant absolutely could have moved Connecticut further south, convinced UConn to start 1-A football a decade or more earlier, etc. Sometimes, operating in reality and the real world is so limiting. ;)

More importantly, it needed to convince all the leaders of Syracuse and BC, located where we don't sell the Courant, that they needed to lobby for us instead of against us.

I understand making silly statements. I do it all the time. I don't understand doubling down on them when caught.

Reaction Score
A51FF99D-A86D-4D88-8348-2C66194CC15B.jpeg
Uncle...

>>Angry at what it’s chairman called “stealth” legislation, the state ethics commission held an emergency meeting Tuesday to discuss what legal recourse it might have after learning that top legislators quietly added an amendment to a bill that appears to ensure that UConn football coach Randy Edsall’s son can remain on his father’s staff.<<

>>Tuesday’s teleconference call was immediately adjourned to an executive session that lasted more than an hour to discuss the legal ramifications of the new law as it applies to not only the Edsall case but also for the future of the board.

Neither Castricone or executive director would comment on what the board had discussed or what their legal strategy will be going forward.<<

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
View attachment 32449 Uncle...

>>Angry at what it’s chairman called “stealth” legislation, the state ethics commission held an emergency meeting Tuesday to discuss what legal recourse it might have after learning that top legislators quietly added an amendment to a bill that appears to ensure that UConn football coach Randy Edsall’s son can remain on his father’s staff.<<

>>Tuesday’s teleconference call was immediately adjourned to an executive session that lasted more than an hour to discuss the legal ramifications of the new law as it applies to not only the Edsall case but also for the future of the board.

Neither Castricone or executive director would comment on what the board had discussed or what their legal strategy will be going forward.<<

Well... had the ethics committee not made a martyr out of Corey....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom