Corey Edsall contract resolution in sight? | The Boneyard

Corey Edsall contract resolution in sight?

Reaction Score
Dave Altimari‏ @davealtimari 6m 6 minutes ago
A mysterious amendment on a recently passed bill seems to have created a way for Randy Edsall’s son to remain a coach for UConn football team. Story posting soon...

Dave Altimari‏ @davealtimari 3m 3 minutes ago
The amendment the last paragraph added to an 11-page bill about how state agencies should store computer data allows relatives of state employees to work under them. And removed the state Ethics Office completely from any oversight.

Reaction Score

>>In June, lawmakers passed Public Act 18-175 which is primarily focused on how the state manages its data and ways to give public access to it. But the last paragraph of the 11-page bill, approved earlier this month apparently unbeknownst to even Edsall’s attorneys, has nothing to do with data storage.

The amendment reads in part that “a state employee who is employed at a constituent unit of the state system of higher education and a member of the immediate family of such state employee may be employed in the same department or division of such constituent unit.”

The amendment says the arrangement is legal as long as the “constituent unit has determined that procedures have been implemented to ensure that any final decisions impacting the financial interests of either such state employee, including decisions to hire, promote, increase the compensation of or renew the employment of such state employee, are made by another state employee who is not a member of the immediate family.”<<

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Randy operating under the cover of darkness. Getting Machiavellian on em!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

>>In June, lawmakers passed Public Act 18-175 which is primarily focused on how the state manages its data and ways to give public access to it. But the last paragraph of the 11-page bill, approved earlier this month apparently unbeknownst to even Edsall’s attorneys, has nothing to do with data storage.

The amendment reads in part that “a state employee who is employed at a constituent unit of the state system of higher education and a member of the immediate family of such state employee may be employed in the same department or division of such constituent unit.”

The amendment says the arrangement is legal as long as the “constituent unit has determined that procedures have been implemented to ensure that any final decisions impacting the financial interests of either such state employee, including decisions to hire, promote, increase the compensation of or renew the employment of such state employee, are made by another state employee who is not a member of the immediate family.”<<

Reasonable rule. FWIW I think the ethics committee position on Corey's employment was ridiculous.

Reaction Score
If The Courant had been doing its job, UConn would now be in a P5 conference. The editorial page needed to lead the charge that UConn in the ACC or B10 was/and is vital for the state's future. It's going to be harder to achieve now, but I remain confident. Maybe Hearst has the right focus.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why is so difficult to acknowledge:
1. Different state agencies have different staffing norms
2. Nepotism is when a family member for that agency is treated differently than cold calling applicants
3. The role of the Ethics Board is to monitor and rule on this.

Reaction Score
3. The role of the Ethics Board is to monitor and rule on this.
When Altimari reported today, "In June, lawmakers passed Public Act 18-175 ..." somehow helping Corey Edsall", it's an unusual way to reference something occurring in the same month. Until the item topic in today's Courant, it's no shocker Edsall's attorneys may have known nothing about the law change. However, # 3 is purportedly no longer accurate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If The Courant had been doing its job, UConn would now be in a P5 conference. The editorial page needed to lead the charge that UConn in the ACC or B10 was/and is vital for the state's future. It's going to be harder to achieve now, but I remain confident. Maybe Hearst has the right focus.
What's good?

We got moles in the state legislature.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Slipping unrelated amendments in to a bill... not usually a fan! But in this case I love it.
Agreed....but in the end I wanted the pols to take a vote on it - directly or indirectly, to put an end the issue for all.

Reaction Score
Above Courant article updated:

>>On Monday, Democratic Speaker of the House Joe Aresimowicz, a high school football coach, acknowledged that he added language to a bill that was primarily focused on the public’s access to state data after discussing situation with Edsall at a football dinner last fall.

“I had a chance to talk with Edsall at an all-state football banquet and I agreed that the ethics ruling was wrong and unfair to him,” Aresimowicz said, adding that Edsall also talked with Republican leaders Leonard Fasano and Themis Klarides, who both agreed with him that Edsall was treated unfairly.<<

Reaction Score
Above Courant article updated:

>>On Monday, Democratic Speaker of the House Joe Aresimowicz, a high school football coach, acknowledged that he added language to a bill that was primarily focused on the public’s access to state data after discussing situation with Edsall at a football dinner last fall.

“I had a chance to talk with Edsall at an all-state football banquet and I agreed that the ethics ruling was wrong and unfair to him,” Aresimowicz said, adding that Edsall also talked with Republican leaders Leonard Fasano and Themis Klarides, who both agreed with him that Edsall was treated unfairly.<<
good to see it was bipartisan

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Reasonable rule. FWIW I think the ethics committee position on Corey's employment was ridiculous.

The ethics committee ruling was ridiculous. This bill is something else and equally ridiculous. All they had to do was exempt personal services contracts. Something that should have been done anyhow. These coaches have contracts, so long as the relative does not have final say over the terms, offer, renewal or termination then any ethics issues are resolved. Now, you can have politicians and bureaucrats trading jobs for their kids and spouses with each other without pause.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The ethics committee ruling was ridiculous. This bill is something else and equally ridiculous. All they had to do was exempt personal services contracts. Something that should have been done anyhow. These coaches have contracts, so long as the relative does not have final say over the terms, offer, renewal or termination then any ethics issues are resolved. Now, you can have politicians and bureaucrats trading jobs for their kids and spouses with each other without pause.
Mmm don't see it as a material change to what the exist rule is:

“constituent unit has determined that procedures have been implemented to ensure that any final decisions impacting the financial interests of either such state employee, including decisions to hire, promote, increase the compensation of or renew the employment of such state employee, are made by another state employee who is not a member of the immediate family."

Reaction Score
I always thought this situation should and would end in a bill in Hartford and I think is the proper result.

It may be a proper result but I do not like the way that it was done. They should have found a way to be above board and transparent in passing such a law. I hate when people abuse the legislative process to get something done. Unfortunately it is done all the time and often times costing the taxpayers a lot of money in the process.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Are you suggesting politicians took a rather mundane procedural event and codified in to law that may (will) benefit them in the future and removed the oversight mechanism? All by attaching it to an unrelated bill?

Color me shocked.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Slipping unrelated amendments in to a bill... not usually a fan! But in this case I love it.

Yeah I like the outcome but they should have passed it clean. Oh well at least it solves one issue.

If someone in the AD made it happen then credit to them. Even if it’s Benedict.

Will Randy sign his contract?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom