Cord Cutters | Page 44 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
I am looking to switch to YTTV from Comcast. My savings will end up about 35 a month, but I have a 2nd location I can use it in which would drive up the savings by another 100 a month.

Does anyone use YTTV across two locations? I won‘t get YES but hopefully that gets figured out next year.

Reaction Score
I am looking to switch to YTTV from Comcast. My savings will end up about 35 a month, but I have a 2nd location I can use it in which would drive up the savings by another 100 a month.

Does anyone use YTTV across two locations? I won‘t get YES but hopefully that gets figured out next year.
I use YTTV in Ct and Florida. YES has been a problem for awhile and it’s been years now right?. I use my sons MLB in Florida forYES and my brothers Optimum on my iPad in Ct. Every now and then there is a location problem that blocks access to some channels when you bounce back and forth. Once I had to cancel my subscription and re enroll to solve that ( they advised it).

Reaction Score
I use YTTV in Ct and Florida. YES has been a problem for awhile and it’s been years now right?. I use my sons MLB in Florida forYES and my brothers Optimum on my iPad in Ct. Every now and then there is a location problem that blocks access to some channels when you bounce back and forth. Once I had to cancel my subscription and re enroll to solve that ( they advised it).
My neighbor has YTTV at his house and his shore house (same state, but 100+ miles away). He hasn't had an issue with YTTV cutting the shore house off. I travel with my firestick whenever we go away. When putting on YTTV I will sometimes get a message asking if I'm temporarily out of my area. I say yes, and it works. Not sure if that would be an issue after time.
There is no current solution for YES. It hasn't been on for a while now (at least this and last season since I've been a subscriber). I'd think YES will eventually create an (overpriced) option to direct stream. As a Yankee fan, I've been fine with just watching a handful of games per year, but I wouldn't have liked it when I was a bigger fan years ago.

Reaction Score
My neighbor has YTTV at his house and his shore house (same state, but 100+ miles away). He hasn't had an issue with YTTV cutting the shore house off. I travel with my firestick whenever we go away. When putting on YTTV I will sometimes get a message asking if I'm temporarily out of my area. I say yes, and it works. Not sure if that would be an issue after time.
There is no current solution for YES. It hasn't been on for a while now (at least this and last season since I've been a subscriber). I'd think YES will eventually create an (overpriced) option to direct stream. As a Yankee fan, I've been fine with just watching a handful of games per year, but I wouldn't have liked it when I was a bigger fan years ago.
At this point in about 2 weeks all the games will be on YTTV however long the Yankees make it last which frankly is in great question.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So a saga unfolds. Decided to ditch Xfinity. Tried to sign up for Fios (former customer) need credit check. Went to unfreeze and I'm locked out of Experian. Evidently, there is a security flaw and I was a victim of it. Two weeks later, I'm still trying to get access to my Experian account (maybe Friday). If you haven't checked lately, you might want to. I

Fios wasn't ok with just the other two agencies (which is ridiculous), so I signed up for Fios in my wife's name. They come to turn it on this Friday. Then I'll choose between YTTV and Hulu+. Cost is identical, since I currently pay $15 for the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN package. YTTV gives you 3 screens, Hulu 2 screens, but I can go to unlimited for $10 on Hulu, making the total cost the same ($70+$10).

I will miss the Bruins and Sox in the spring, but maybe NESN will come to its senses by then.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
VPN's can mask location to help with watching local stations including RSN's from different areas of the country.
Otherwise you get different network affiliates which can also impact things like which NFL games you see on the networks.
Somewhat odd to me is you can't get the big streaming services if you are overseas. You definitely need a VPN to mask location and trick it on to thinking you are in US.

Reaction Score
VPN's can mask location to help with watching local stations including RSN's from different areas of the country.
Otherwise you get different network affiliates which can also impact things like which NFL games you see on the networks.
Somewhat odd to me is you can't get the big streaming services if you are overseas. You definitely need a VPN to mask location and trick it on to thinking you are in US.
vpn did not work for mlb

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When putting on YTTV I will sometimes get a message asking if I'm temporarily out of my area. I say yes, and it works. Not sure if that would be an issue after time.
That happened to me when I was out-of-state on my phone, never at home. The only thing that changed that I noticed is that the network stations changed fron CT to local affiliates.

Reaction Score
So a saga unfolds. Decided to ditch Xfinity. Tried to sign up for Fios (former customer) need credit check. Went to unfreeze and I'm locked out of Experian. Evidently, there is a security flaw and I was a victim of it. Two weeks later, I'm still trying to get access to my Experian account (maybe Friday). If you haven't checked lately, you might want to. I

Fios wasn't ok with just the other two agencies (which is ridiculous), so I signed up for Fios in my wife's name. They come to turn it on this Friday. Then I'll choose between YTTV and Hulu+. Cost is identical, since I currently pay $15 for the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN package. YTTV gives you 3 screens, Hulu 2 screens, but I can go to unlimited for $10 on Hulu, making the total cost the same ($70+$10).

I will miss the Bruins and Sox in the spring, but maybe NESN will come to its senses by then.
It’s a moot point since you already installed FOIS but I get DirectTV and just about every channel known (including all the sports channels including NESN) for $189 a month. The picture quality is also a tad better than the best streaming signal.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It’s a moot point since you already installed FOIS but I get DirectTV and just about every channel known (including all the sports channels including NESN) for $189 a month. The picture quality is also a tad better than the best streaming signal.
The internet speeds are just not really adequate though. I did look at their streaming service, but it's quite expensive.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Fios came. With Comcast I had three plug in WiFi extenders I had purchased. With Fios I paid $5 a month to get two, but they aren't the same. They are huge router sized things. I also now have WifI 6, which my PC recognized immediately. I don't think I'll have zoom video issues anymore. The speed is just vastly improved now.

Now I'm trying to cancel Disney+ bundle through Disney, so I can sign up with Hulu and keep my account. Crazy what a pain that is.

Next stop, phone service via Ooma.

Reaction Score
The internet speeds are just not really adequate though. I did look at their streaming service, but it's quite expensive.
We get our extremely fast internet wi-fi through Spectrum (Charter Communications) we also get a landline phone attached to an answering machine. You are correct in that DTV’s wi-fi is just average. Spectrum charges us $79/mo for both the phone line and a first rate Wi-Fi signal. TV is all DirectTV (except for any streaming stuff on the net, like Netflix) a ton of channels plus the Sports Package, and ton of free on demand stuff. What sold me on DTV was picture resolution on MLB games, compared to the same games on a streaming signal. When switching between the two feeds while the center field camera showed the back of the pitchers mound, I focused on the cleat cleaner on back edge of the mound, and on the DTV the bristles were like pins, very well defined, while the streaming signal while very clean and noise free, it didn’t have the same sharp defined resolution like the DTV sat did.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Fios came. With Comcast I had three plug in WiFi extenders I had purchased. With Fios I paid $5 a month to get two, but they aren't the same. They are huge router sized things. I also now have WifI 6, which my PC recognized immediately. I don't think I'll have zoom video issues anymore. The speed is just vastly improved now.

Now I'm trying to cancel Disney+ bundle through Disney, so I can sign up with Hulu and keep my account. Crazy what a pain that is.

Next stop, phone service via Ooma.
We just dropped the home phone service entirely. To be honest I really have missed it. 99% of the calls were solicitors anyway. anyone who wants to reach us would try first on our cells.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Finished cutting the cord. Cable is gone, and my internet speeds are much faster with fiber and I have unlimited data now. I tried Fubo and YoutubeTV, but ended up with Hulu Live. I really like Bloomberg in the morning (YoutubeTV doesn't have Bloomberg) and Fubo doesn't have TNT/TBS, which is a show stopper for me because of basketball. Hulu has both but also has by far the worst interface of the 3, and it can be hard to find stuff on Hulu Live. But Hulu Live also provides a complete Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle, which includes all of the premium ESPN content on its website. That is a very good fringe benefit

Reaction Score
YTTV is jacking their prices again. Up $8 per month to $72.99. They are bragging that it's the first increase in 3 years, but that's a big jump and if anything, they've been losing channels.

I think this might be what pushes me elsewhere, especially for the summer where I don't need NFL or college basketball. I already don't get the Yankees on YTTV.

I'm assuming Hulu will join in a price hike? Anyone else have good luck getting news channels, some espns, fox sports and local stations for less than YTTV's new rate? Sling seemed so confusing with all their packages that entice you to take them all by leaving out something you want from each.

Reaction Score
YTTV is jacking their prices again. Up $8 per month to $72.99. They are bragging that it's the first increase in 3 years, but that's a big jump and if anything, they've been losing channels.

I think this might be what pushes me elsewhere, especially for the summer where I don't need NFL or college basketball. I already don't get the Yankees on YTTV.

I'm assuming Hulu will join in a price hike? Anyone else have good luck getting news channels, some espns, fox sports and local stations for less than YTTV's new rate? Sling seemed so confusing with all their packages that entice you to take them all by leaving out something you want from each.
Just checked my email as well, and also received the price increase notice from YouTube TV. Luckily I will cancel my subscription on my next billing cycle on the 18th of month, since it will carry me through the Final Four. I have been cancelling and pick up again in Nov as Basketball season starts again.

Reaction Score

I receive everything I need from Spectrum streaming here in FL. I have Spectrum TV Select for $49.99 a month. I also have to pay a broadcast TV surcharge fee of $22.20. I have all the channels I need which include local, ESPN, NFL network and FS1 among others. But my total is equal to yours.

Reaction Score
I receive everything I need from Spectrum streaming here in FL. I have Spectrum TV Select for $49.99 a month. I also have to pay a broadcast TV surcharge fee of $22.20. I have all the channels I need which include local, ESPN, NFL network and FS1 among others. But my total is equal to yours.
We have Spectrum for Wi-Fi only, which of course we use for streaming. For TV and local/national broadcast channels we have Direct TV, which we love. The picture resolution is slightly better than any streaming signal. I’ve done A/B tests between the two on live sports and Direct TV is slightly superior.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Yeah, they‘re up from like $45 to $73 since we’ve started.

At this point, they’re more expensive than Optimum would charge me if I went back as a new customer.

I’ll definitely look around….any suggestions?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Oh no! I finally am leaving Comcast to get Frontier fiber with a YTTV package. At least my price should be locked in at $60 A month for a year.
Installation is next week.

Reaction Score
One thing I love about streaming services over cable is the ease on canceling and restarting. I don't really watch much TV other than sports. I can cancel, with no real effort my service for the summer months. My antenna and the free TV-Plus service that came with my Samsung Tv do me just fine for the summer. I can live just off the This Old House Channel on TV-Plus. I was telling a friend who watches baseball, and he loved this idea. He subscribes to one network in the summer and switches during the winter. His watching needs change with the seasons.

Reaction Score
I live in CT but frequently travel out of state. Does anyone use a VPN to spoof location and get your same home resources like optimum while outside your home location? Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's possible, unless you're plugging your laptop into a TV? Still not sure that would even work.

DirecTV adding the Red Zone Channel into the $14.99 a month Sports Pack was a GOD SEND.. Also got me back CBS Sports, which I lost when I dropped down a tier last year.

At this point, I don't think I'd ever consider cutting the cord unless the prices get unreasonable - that being said all I have to do is threaten to cancel DTV and they drop my bill by like $75.

NBA League Pass for $100 on top of it.. Obviously cable and satellite are dying, but if you find the right sweet spot you're all set.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I live in CT but frequently travel out of state. Does anyone use a VPN to spoof location and get your same home resources like optimum while outside your home location? Thanks in advance.

I travel as well and use a VPN. Heck, I use a VPN while I'm at my home.

You'll need to research to see which VPN service has servers which can spoof your home location. Some allow you to use your home location and then select a pop up window where you state you are away from home for travel.

Bottom line, is yes, you can use a VPN to spoof your home location but not all VPN's have the same ability to do it. Do some research and try a few out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom