Cord Cutters | Page 36 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
Thank! I also have RoKu. I was not aware I could cast using that device.
You won't really "cast", it's more of using the Optimum TV app (if there is one) and then just having it run through your Roku.
ROKU does not have the Optimum TV app, but there seems to be a way to "cast" to ROKU, try the link below for step by step set up.

ROKU does however have the ESPN app (this used to be the old WatchESPN app and/or ESPN3). Within this ESPN app there's also ESPN+ (if you subscribe to it you will be able to watch both from one app). You will have to login with your Optimum TV credentials for the ESPN content(s) and if you subscribe to ESPN+, with those credentials as well.

Same for the CBS Sports app. If you don't have the ESPN and CBS Sports app in ROKU's homepage already, search for them and install both then you will need to sign in with your Optimum TV credentials and you should be good to go. Good luck.

Reaction Score
From my experience, yes, you are correct, but the quality is compromised a bit. It's also a cumbersome set up.

What about getting a Roku stick and then signing in on the apps that you have from the Roku stick? It would be way more efficient and you will have better video quality.
So I figured out that CBS Sports and ESPN have the cast icon in their apps. I am on Xfinity for internet as I am not in my home location, I used my Optimum credentials for the apps, and then cast from the App. Worked nice, quality fine.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
All, I need a hand.

I purchased a Google Chromecast thinking I could cast any service streaming on my iPhone to my TV. Is this true? For example, I want to cast the Optimum TV app via Chromecast to the TV. Is this doable? I’ll also need ESPN and the CBS sports app for UConn. Thanks in advance!
Don't know the answer to this, but I am curious as to what feedback you get. It took me a while to figure out how to cast Apple + to my LG TV. It wouldn't load the app, so I used Chrome to cast from laptop. It is a little twitchy because it will not cast a running video on Apple +. You have to cast the webpage, then start the video and maximize it.

Quality is very good but my TV is 1080p. Can't say if there are any issues at 4k.

Reaction Score
Don't know the answer to this, but I am curious as to what feedback you get. It took me a while to figure out how to cast Apple + to my LG TV. It wouldn't load the app, so I used Chrome to cast from laptop. It is a little twitchy because it will not cast a running video on Apple +. You have to cast the webpage, then start the video and maximize it.

Quality is very good but my TV is 1080p. Can't say if there are any issues at 4k.
I’m also using the LG here and it’s 1080. I should probably upgrade as the TV is 12 years old but its a 65 inch and still works great, however it can get hot. Did you buy yours at Costco also? LOL

Reaction Score
Do any of the online streaming apps have MSG? Will need to reconfigure my setup since Hulu live doesnt carry it and Id like to watch the knicks/kemba.
AT&T TV (which I have) and Fubo.

AT&T TV is expensive, but it's the only streaming service to have both the YES network and MSG, so it's a no-brainer for me. Plus, they have all the channels I'd need for college basketball.

CL82

Reaction Score
I’m also using the LG here and it’s 1080. I should probably upgrade as the TV is 12 years old but its a 65 inch and still works great, however it can get hot. Did you buy yours at Costco also? LOL
PC Richards, I think. Mine is 55 inches because that is all that will fit above the fireplace mantle. Same here though, the picture is great. For what it’s worth I see no drop off in quality streaming through chrome.

My only complaint is that the web browser on the LG is phenomenally slow and live TV through YouTube TV came through at a lower resolution. On the other hand movies on demand content cane through YouTube TV came through at 1080 P. I’ve read that there may have been some kind of an upgrade though since April when I canceled it. I’ll toggle it back on for the football season and if the resolution issue has been resolved I’ll just stream through chrome.

(Hulu, Netflix, and peacock all seem to stream fine at 1080 P, it was just live content through YouTube TV that was an issue, for whatever reason.)

Also for what it’s worth, I’ve been very happy since I cut the cord and find that I am watching a lot less television, and what I do watch is usually better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

AT&T TV is expensive, but it's the only streaming service to have both the YES network and MSG, so it's a no-brainer for me. Plus, they have all the channels I'd need for college basketball.
How much is ATTTV monthly?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

And SNY, CBS Sports, and all the ESPN's.... But prices creeping up continually, and just got an email that informed me it will be (re?) Integrated with Direct TV. I'm sure price will continue to rise.

Reaction Score
And SNY, CBS Sports, and all the ESPN's.... But prices creeping up continually, and just got an email that informed me it will be (re?) Integrated with Direct TV. I'm sure price will continue to rise.
I’d go with Direct TV, it’s a tad sharper than things streamed over the internet. AT&T owns DTV. Not sure about differences in price, but I pay $179 for their best package, plus the sports pak, and a few other regional sports channels that are not included in the sports pack.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I've had FUBO for several months and really enjoy it. They don't have the TNT family of channels and have lost some other channels but it's still very good. I can use other apps for shows I don't get. FUBO also has a bunch of addons as well. They've also added their sports book in states that allow betting

Reaction Score
I've had FUBO for several months and really enjoy it. They don't have the TNT family of channels and have lost some other channels but it's still very good. I can use other apps for shows I don't get. FUBO also has a bunch of addons as well. They've also added their sports book in states that allow betting
This is not conceivable for the months of March/April. What do you do for NCAAT?

CL82

Reaction Score
Do any of the online streaming apps have MSG? Will need to reconfigure my setup since Hulu live doesnt carry it and Id like to watch the knicks/kemba.
YouTube TV in the NYC metropolitan area has MSG, SNY, all the ESPN’s, CBS Sports net, FS1, and FS2. I believe it’s $69.99 a month.

Reaction Score
Somewhat cable related, but has anyone tried the T-Mobile home internet? Have received an offer for 5G home internet for $50 bucks per month and I am seriously considering getting it. Currently have an optimum bundle of 400 Mbps and basic cable package and pay around $130 per month.

Reaction Score
Somewhat cable related, but has anyone tried the T-Mobile home internet? Have received an offer for 5G home internet for $50 bucks per month and I am seriously considering getting it. Currently have an optimum bundle of 400 Mbps and basic cable package and pay around $130 per month.
I personally do not have it or tried it, but I came across one individual on YouTube that went through the process of unboxing and setting up and testing it, like you I always want to see the latest "flavor" of internet options that are available. The link below is of YouTube homepage with the search "t-mobile 5g internet". Look through a couple of them videos to get and idea how it works and if it's for you or not.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=t-mobile+5ginternet

...as an added bonus I also included a link to the new Elon Musk Starlink Internet (Satellite Internet), especially good if one lives in rural America or cities

Reaction Score
YouTube TV in the NYC metropolitan area has MSG, SNY, all the ESPN’s, CBS Sports net, FS1, and FS2. I believe it’s $69.99 a month.
I dont think thats accurate. I believe YTTV used to carry MSG but no longer do. Its not listed as a channel here.

CL82

Reaction Score
I dont think thats accurate. I believe YTTV used to carry MSG but no longer do. Its not listed as a channel here.
I think you are correct. I just looked for my area and these are the sports channels:

1628873942819.png

Pretty sure we got MSG1 & MSG2 in the spring when I cancelled. I guess that changed.

Here are the price and services:
1628874089620.png

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Unfortunately, it does not offer MSG.

Reaction Score
Anyone here know of any apps that are similar to Locast? They were my go to for out of market NFL games but were just shut down.

Reaction Score
LoCast was what we used on the other 2 basement TVs, DirecTV on the other.. Nothing like LoCast exists, but my next move is an OTA Antenna.. They are much stronger than they used to be, should be able to stream it right to the television - in theory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom